Not trying to jinx things but....could this team actually be good??

matter2003

I am not trying to put the cart before the horse or anything but when I watch this team I see a much improved team from last year doing things that will win you games.

They are fast, they have some skill, they can make nice clean breakout plays out of their own zone and attack quickly on the counter, they actually hem the other team in their end at least an equal amount as we get hemmed in if not more...

I'm not saying we are a playoff team this year, but i don't think we are far off. This team is night and day different from the one we watched last year. Obviously Dahlin has helped tremendously as his breakout passes are just a thing of beauty of most times landing perfectly on the tape, but Botterill deserves some credit for getting these others guys in here and piecing them together. Rochester was fixed last year and and they look really good again this year leading the AHL in scoring and the Sabres look like they are well on their way to being fixed this year.

Things are looking up finally for this group and its exciting to watch again. Even in some of the games where they have only had 1 goal they have been exciting to watch whereas last year they were boring and stuck in their own end most of the night.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, the three lynch-pins to the team's season-long improvement are Dahlin, Middelstadt, and Nylander.   The team is hovering at the playoff line with none of the three being exceptional.  Assuming they stay healthy and improve, I think it's not premature to say that the team is leaning towards good.  

McCurdy's projection puts the Sabres at 50% to make the playoffs, Dom at The Athletic has a 30% chance.  Both of those models are admittedly speculative about young players/prospects because of lack of data. So given those numbers and the Sabres record right now, would you make an even money (50% chance) bet to make the playoffs?  Or would you need 2--1 (33% chance)?

The most telling sign that the Sabres are playing better is that they are +1 in goal differential, which is not great, or even good, but a heck of a lot better than the double digit minuses that we have seen the last 5+ years.

Forward ...

+++++ SEE EDIT BELOW +++++

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
a +7 yesterday helped a lot ... LOL

They aren't "good" yet, but they ARE entertaining.

Would really like to see a move for a 2C (this season, & then hopefully 3C next year once Mittelstadt grows (again, hopefully) into that 2C role) as I believe they are that single piece away from being good (or nearly good at a worst case).  But I also expect the odds of making that trade are slim as the Larsson lineis playing as a very defensively effective checking line & very well could again next year & Asplund will likely be ready to come up next year, so since expectations are low for this year can see Botterill being willing to ride out this year's up & downs with what he has.  Especially with him likely trying to re-sign Skinner, he probably doesn't want that extra salary on the roster & might view the cost in prospects too great to help this year when the team is built for the next few seasons.

But if he did bring in another middle 6C, then they're that much better this year & Asplund (or Larsson) can be the 5th C (either playing in Ra-cha-cha (for Asplund) or in the press box (Larsson)) until the inevitable injury occurs next year.

Extra depth never hurts IMHO, & I would like to see a trade for that piece.

Edited by Taro T

Maybe this is just coincidence, but when the Sabres became good after the lockout the kids (Pominville, Roy, Vanek and Miller) learned from Amerks vets Jbot and Chris Taylor.  Fast forward 12 years and now Jbot is the GM, Taylor is coaching the kids in Roch into the best team in the AHL and Pommers is teaching the kids in Buffalo to be professionals.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

Better than last year, but I don't know if I'd say good...YET.

Right now, they are middle of the pack. 

Entertaining?  More than last year..but still not exciting to watch on a regular basis. I'd say average at best there.  

The important thing is they are better and more entertaining than last year..and hopefully further trending upward.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

IMO they are a 2C away from being a playoff team.

And whether they squeak in depends on Mittelstadt's development on the fly.  Pretty much every game is his best game of the season; as long as that game-on-game improvement continues, who knows?  They might be good enough for playoffs.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I would like it if they were more consistant in their effort.

I can't remember who said it, but it was stated that the inconsistency would be a hallmark of the improving team- look good sometimes, but slip back now and again.  As long as the win streaks are longer than the losing streaks, they'll move up in the standings.

Well we improved our bottom six , and like last night I think Larsson - Berglund - Zemgus was our best line out.    They deserve more points at least.    Berglund is slowly becoming our new legwand.

Bogosian been great, Dhalin to.    Risto does some good stuff, but makes me wonder his hockey IQ sometimes.    Scandella I'd trade if we get a decent offer.   Risto and Scandella both also shoot it wide way to much.

Sheary, kid has wheels but he fans on shots a lot.    Sobotka thinks he is better than he actually is, decent bottom 6 guy but that is it.

Its a year where we have to look forward to Rochester and the growth there more but the team is fun to watch.

Placeholders: Sheary, Scandella, Sobotka, Larsson, pominville.   ( would bring pominville back at a reduced rate) Will be fun to see where we are at the trade deadline.

20 hours ago, Mig_22 said:

Well, the three lynch-pins to the team's season-long improvement are Dahlin, Middelstadt, and Nylander.   The team is hovering at the playoff line with none of the three being exceptional.  Assuming they stay healthy and improve, I think it's not premature to say that the team is leaning towards good.  

McCurdy's projection puts the Sabres at 50% to make the playoffs, Dom at The Athletic has a 30% chance.  Both of those models are admittedly speculative about young players/prospects because of lack of data. So given those numbers and the Sabres record right now, would you make an even money (50% chance) bet to make the playoffs?  Or would you need 2--1 (33% chance)?

Psssst...go read about Nylander in Amerks thread. He's not helping...

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well we improved our bottom six , and like last night I think Larsson - Berglund - Zemgus was our best line out.    They deserve more points at least.    Berglund is slowly becoming our new legwand.

Bogosian been great, Dhalin to.    Risto does some good stuff, but makes me wonder his hockey IQ sometimes.    Scandella I'd trade if we get a decent offer.   Risto and Scandella both also shoot it wide way to much.

Sheary, kid has wheels but he fans on shots a lot.    Sobotka thinks he is better than he actually is, decent bottom 6 guy but that is it.

Its a year where we have to look forward to Rochester and the growth there more but the team is fun to watch.

Placeholders: Sheary, Scandella, Sobotka, Larsson, pominville.   ( would bring pominville back at a reduced rate) Will be fun to see where we are at the trade deadline.

Lundquist played unbelievable or we win that game by at least 2 goals...they dominated that game other than for a few minutes here and there.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, matter2003 said:

I am not trying to put the cart before the horse or anything but when I watch this team I see a much improved team from last year doing things that will win you games.

They are fast, they have some skill, they can make nice clean breakout plays out of their own zone and attack quickly on the counter, they actually hem the other team in their end at least an equal amount as we get hemmed in if not more...

I'm not saying we are a playoff team this year, but i don't think we are far off. This team is night and day different from the one we watched last year. Obviously Dahlin has helped tremendously as his breakout passes are just a thing of beauty of most times landing perfectly on the tape, but Botterill deserves some credit for getting these others guys in here and piecing them together. Rochester was fixed last year and and they look really good again this year leading the AHL in scoring and the Sabres look like they are well on their way to being fixed this year.

Things are looking up finally for this group and its exciting to watch again. Even in some of the games where they have only had 1 goal they have been exciting to watch whereas last year they were boring and stuck in their own end most of the night.

We've been the worst team in the league for years....how can you jinx anything?

This team continues to surprise...they aren't always great but they have some serious grit and belief in themselves where they feel they can come back no matter what the score.

Its exciting to watch. We have a young core that is going to be pretty damn good for a long time to come and its just getting started now. The moves Botterrill has made this off-season have really paid off. Good to see after so many of them havent over recent years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.