The play before the play — how the Buffalo Sabres really scored nine goals in one game

PASabreFan

Thank you so much for the analysis!  I subscribe to NHL.tv and went back to your timelines and watched these plays.  Certainly I focused on Eichel and Dahlin.

Dahlins passes - especially the quick backhand to Eichel (re: Dahlin's block, 13:09 left in the second) was just crazy and quick.  When we was drafted, there was lots of talk about Dahlin hitting Eichel in stride - I was thinking of Eichel getting breakaways, but that was a great example -- a quick pass in our zone and Eichel had room to have a clean zone entry with a 2-on-2, which became a 3-on-3, then Eichel bought time/space to get his shot where Pommers put in the rebound.

Great example of our future!

20 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Thank you so much for the analysis!  I subscribe to NHL.tv and went back to your timelines and watched these plays.  Certainly I focused on Eichel and Dahlin.

Dahlins passes - especially the quick backhand to Eichel (re: Dahlin's block, 13:09 left in the second) was just crazy and quick.  When we was drafted, there was lots of talk about Dahlin hitting Eichel in stride - I was thinking of Eichel getting breakaways, but that was a great example -- a quick pass in our zone and Eichel had room to have a clean zone entry with a 2-on-2, which became a 3-on-3, then Eichel bought time/space to get his shot where Pommers put in the rebound.

Great example of our future!

The pass up setting up the rush leading to the goal is more impressive when you realize that was the last time Dahlin stepped on the ice that day (unless you count briefly testing the ankle during the stoppage after Ullmark/the post's breakaway save).  Though he was in pain, he had the presence of mind to spin & chip the puck to a spot Eichel could take over.

This was great, and I found it even better after reading your post then watching the noon replay of the game yesterday. I found myself noticing the things you mentioned and knowing that a goal was coming in the next 5-10 seconds. I noticed Dahlin's Magic, McCabe's pinch, Eichel' Engine and Dahlin's Block during my re-watch without actively looking for them, and they were all great plays. It was cool to notice the little effort or skill plays that make the goals happen - well done!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.