Political reform

Weave

On 11/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, Weave said:

I wonder how Maine got it through their legislature.  It's not in the best interests of either major party to allow this change.  I'd hesitate to call it viable for that reason alone.

Referendum, not legislation.  Then the governor overruled it.  Then the people said, no, we're going to choose how you are elected and stood up.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/maine-lepage-ranked-choice-voting/562871/

New Hampshire is considering it now.  Hopefully this catches on.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Referendum, not legislation.  Then the governor overruled it.  Then the people said, no, we're going to choose how you are elected and stood up.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/maine-lepage-ranked-choice-voting/562871/

It had to get on a ballot somehow though, no?

15 hours ago, Weave said:

It had to get on a ballot somehow though, no?

From my brief research, it seems that Mainers can petition for legislation.  If a sufficient petition is lodged with the legislature but NOT adopted by it, it automatically becomes a referendum.  This is incredibly wise IMO.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

From my brief research, it seems that Mainers can petition for legislation.  If a sufficient petition is lodged with the legislature but NOT adopted by it, it automatically becomes a referendum.  This is incredibly wise IMO.

Maine suddenly becomes interesting to me.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:53 AM, Eleven said:

I like the idea, but think to truly get more diverse viewpoints involved we can actually count all the ranked choice votes and assign weighted values based on 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Something like 1st gets 1.0 votes, 2nd 0.7, 3rd 0.3 would result in election results where candidates represent more centrist viewpoints and don't pander just to the extremes. That's probably our first step towards working together rather than playing strictly by party lines.

Never going to happen though... 

4 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

I like the idea, but think to truly get more diverse viewpoints involved we can actually count all the ranked choice votes and assign weighted values based on 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Something like 1st gets 1.0 votes, 2nd 0.7, 3rd 0.3 would result in election results where candidates represent more centrist viewpoints and don't pander just to the extremes. That's probably our first step towards working together rather than playing strictly by party lines.

Never going to happen though... 

IIRC it's exactly how ranked voting works, but without the Bettman-esque points system.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Maine suddenly becomes interesting to me.

It's a pretty cool place.  My sister-in-law has lived in Bangor for around the past 13 years or so.  They love it.

We visited once.  I enjoyed it.  The coast line is amazing and then there's the entirety of the North country that's super remote. 

12 hours ago, LTS said:

It's a pretty cool place.  My sister-in-law has lived in Bangor for around the past 13 years or so.  They love it.

We visited once.  I enjoyed it.  The coast line is amazing and then there's the entirety of the North country that's super remote. 

I haven't been back to Maine since I was a kid but I loved it too. My cousin and his wife live in Portland, so I really need to get out there at some point. Nor'easters suck, but I could live with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Eleven said:

IIRC it's exactly how ranked voting works, but without the Bettman-esque points system.  

Haha yeah as I was typing it out I was thinking "this makes each vote cast worth 2.x points, which is dumb" but it was the best way to articulate the concept I was thinking of.