Depth Scoring (again)

Randall Flagg

• 1 month later...

After our second 4-game-stretch of the year without a single point from forwards not on the Jack line, I recalculated the scoring paces for every team's non-top-3 forward scorers.

972139162_secondaryscoring.thumb.JPG.51af08b6d5b51fd2080155ef104aa23c.JPG

We aren't last, but we're bottom six still, in a log jam with Anaheim, Carolina, Dallas, and Chicago. The Kings are behind us but are pacing for 12 more goals from those same players - they just don't get very many assists. It's still an issue for this team, though getting better on the whole. We're just in a bit of a rut with those guys right now and it's no coincidence it coincides with a 5 game losing streak. 

Our lack of center depth is really what kills this: Here's a plot of every NHL team's second-highest-producing-center's projected point totals.

2c.thumb.JPG.f2502c2ad7da0a651f98c9e9e976d010.JPG

We don't even have half of the league average and median. Casey is not an NHL 2C and neither is anyone behind him, and it's our most glaring hole for the duration of this season IMO. I'd still welcome a move to help insulate him better and give our team a chance when Jack isn't on the ice. 

On November 4, 2018 at 12:06 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Mittlestadt is coming along. Much faster than Reinhart did in his beginning. I agree he's not really a solid second center at this point but he is learning pretty quickly and shows signs. Be patient.  It's all trending upwards.

I'm also really starting to like Berglund, Larsson, Girgensens  as a unit. They fit together well as a solid quick 4th line.  

The guy who still gets me is Rodrigues. That guy just can't score period. At this point we just hope the 3rd line plays 0-0.

I agree on Rodrigues. The guy is a college star. I don't think that will translate at this point. How long do you give him? Also I just don't see the positives Okposo brings that others seem to see. Casey has the skill and needs time. We had a shite ton oof passengers today. There's just no excuse for that. Okposo says they all hold each other accountable in the room. Thats easy to say when you're winning. I call bullspit right now. These guys played like they quit after the first. They certainly couldn't match Phillies speed or intensity.

23 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I agree on Rodrigues. The guy is a college star. I don't think that will translate at this point. How long do you give him? Also I just don't see the positives Okposo brings that others seem to see. Casey has the skill and needs time. We had a shite ton oof passengers today. There's just no excuse for that. Okposo says they all hold each other accountable in the room. Thats easy to say when you're winning. I call bullspit right now. These guys played like they quit after the first. They certainly couldn't match Phillies speed or intensity.

If this was true, there would be a line waiting to do this to Sabotka after every game

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, inkman said:

If this was true, there would be a line waiting to do this to Sabotka after every game

The line lacks an identity to me. It's just "the rest of them."  Sobotka can be a decent third line player on a solid checking line but this unit isn't really anything. 

I still think we were better off with Pominville on the top line so we can distribute talent around a bit better. Top line is overloaded and leaves the rest of them lacking - until Mittlestadt becomes what he might become. 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, Doohickie said:

I don't think JBot sees it that way, so I don't anticipate a lot of help coming from the A this year.

I hope he doesn’t see this as another evaluation year. Next thing you know we end up with a bunch of extremely inexperienced but talented players mixed with has beens. You know, the Edmonton way of rebuilding. Oh wait.....

47 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

I hope he doesn’t see this as another evaluation year. Next thing you know we end up with a bunch of extremely inexperienced but talented players mixed with has beens. You know, the Edmonton way of rebuilding. Oh wait.....

Pominville, Sobotka, Okposo, Berglund, & ???.  That is the extended version of this rosters "has beens."  Can't see any of those named messing up development.

Not sure who's pencilledin for that ??? role.  You have a notion?

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pominville, Sobotka, Okposo, Berglund, & ???.  That is the extended version of this rosters "has beens."  Can't see any of those named messing up development.

Not sure who's pencilledin for that ??? role.  You have a notion?

I’m Jbot had last year and summer to get who he wanted. Between buffalo and Rochester I think the talent is there. Maybe some of these players need to realize the onus is now on them. Quit missing the net, over passing, and playing a half a game against lesser talented teams. 

Maybe the right combination is some of the Sabres with some of the America. Obviously since the win streak something is not working. If our secondary scoring guys like Mitts can’t score, give someone else a chance.

On 11/4/2018 at 12:06 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Mittlestadt is coming along. Much faster than Reinhart did in his beginning. I agree he's not really a solid second center at this point but he is learning pretty quickly and shows signs. Be patient.  It's all trending upwards.

I remember agreeing with the take on Mittelstadt at the time. Boy were we wrong.

Since this post, 2 goals and 2 assists in 16 games.

Reinhart had 8/5/13 30 games into his rookie year, compared to Casey’s 4/5/9.

8 hours ago, inkman said:

I have see no evidence of this at any point in his career. He's where hockey goes to die. I've never seen a player kill a puck like this dude. 

I think Sobotka is an NHL hockey player in terms of decision making and processing the game. He doesn’t worry me at all in our zone.

But he is Matt Ellis with the puck on his stick. It’s remarkable, really.

I still think the big problem with lines 2 and 3 is a lack of identity and continuity. Nothing really clicks, and we aren't a deep team, so they flounder.

I'm going to advocate the same best option as before. Until we get more scoring forwards on the roster,

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville

Thompson/Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Girgensuns- Larsson-Bergland

Sheary/E-Rod- Sobodka-Okposo 

To be an actual good team we need to add 2 scoring wingers and a solid 2-way centre or the duds on the roster have to become those guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

It showed tonight.  Blues locked down first line and ERod was the only really moving his feet on any other line...  Blues had size and used it to counter and D wasn't hitting much.  Baloo might have faired better on the back end in this situation than Pilut.  Still Sabres need more depth scoring... Another two/three center to help Mitts as he grows up and two scoring wingers that may be in Rochester at this point in Nylander and Oloffson.  Gonna be a long second half of the season if Sabres can't figure it out.

Actually this is the third recent mediocre performance after a strong 1st period against a mediocre team.  First Philly, then Fla and now Stl.  

I’ve been saying it for weeks, but Jbot needs to get this team some help up front to help Jack and Skinner, while taking some pressure off Mitts and Thompson.  

I’d start with Eric Staal right now or someone similar.  This team needs a lift.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually this is the third recent mediocre performance after a strong 1st period against a mediocre team.  First Philly, then Fla and now Stl.  

I’ve been saying it for weeks, but Jbot needs to get this team some help up front to help Jack and Skinner, while taking some pressure off Mitts and Thompson.  

I’d start with Eric Staal right now or someone similar.  This team needs a lift.

Mittelstadt is definitely suffering from "not ready for this yet"-itis. I think the kid is trying, and he shows some grit in spurts, but he's clearly been worn down by the physicality of the NHL and is struggling to bring it every shift.

Sobotka. Man. That guy doesn't generate ANYTHING.

Okposo too. He isn't doing anything right now.

Our middle six is a wasteland of wingers who aren't generating opportunities or possession.

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wouldn't be against Samson being moved off top line to help Tage and/or Casey M.

I've been advocating this for a while but apparently it's not happening because "super lines" or something.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I've been advocating this for a while but apparently it's not happening because "super lines" or something.

I disagree but at this point you have to change something. Put Reinhart with Mitts on the 2nd line

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like the idea of Tage playing with Jack.  I think if they gave him a simple role on that line of fore checking and shooting.

Hate the idea of Tage playing with Jack. Tage can't get out of his own zone, routinely loses the puck in the offensive zone, and makes terrible shot selections all the time, all while against bottom pairing blue liners and forwards. Imagine if he'd go against Crosby? Or a Josi? Tage would single-handedly neuter that line

4 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

I'd like to see Nylander up for a stretch. He looked great in the preseason and I think he might generate some life into the 2nd or 3rd line. 

I agree, CJ Smith has also earned an opportunity. Nylander done fine in the games he played at the end of last season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.