GDT Calgary Flames vs Buffalo Sabres 7pm ET 10/30/2018

jsb

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Not sure how I feel about Thompson over ERod Tonight. 

I know I don't like it.  Unless Rodrigues' lack of sleep is expected to effect his play, wouldn't make the single assist from the BJ game outweigh each player's body of work up to that point.

Also, would've started Ullmark tonight & put Hutton between the pipes in Otterland.

And, not thrilled w/ the R2D1 pairing, but get why they're using it based on the healthy D they have up at present.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I know I don't like it.  Unless Rodrigues' lack of sleep is expected to effect his play, wouldn't make the single assist from the BJ game outweigh each player's body of work up to that point.

Also, would've started Ullmark tonight & put Hutton between the pipes in Otterland.

And, not thrilled w/ the R2D1 pairing, but get why they're using it based on the healthy D they have up at present.

Hutton could be more familiar with the Flames, having played in the West and all

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Hutton could be more familiar with the Flames, having played in the West and all

Probably is.  But, right now, shockingly, the Otters aee a better team than Calgary & are a division opponent, so I'd rather the #1 goalie play in the land of canal hockey.

The long held maxim is to play your better goalie at home - to improve the odds of that win at the expense of the odds for a road win.  I'd rather have the backup play the tired, non-divisional opponent rather than the divisional opponent regardless of venue.  A win in conference is more valuable than one out of conference & should be treated as such.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Probably is.  But, right now, shockingly, the Otters aee a better team than Calgary & are a division opponent, so I'd rather the #1 goalie play in the land of canal hockey..

It's not a back to back, why can't Hutton play both if that's your worry??

5 minutes ago, jsb said:

It's not a back to back, why can't Hutton play both if that's your worry??

Because Ullmark should get about 1/3 of the games total over the course of the season & my expectation is that Ullmark will get the next start.  IF Hutton gets the start against the Otters, then nevermind.

Trying to look big picture.

Rodrigues is the straw that stirs the drink on the lines he's been on, even if his production has been suppressed by a shutdown role and teensy amounts of ice time. (25-75 zone start split in favor of the defensive zone, ~10 minutes of ice time per game)

So if he's not going, it's purely because of things related to the birth of his child IMO, not because Phil thinks Tage has been better (he had a rough game again, albeit with a nice assist).

Mike Smith has been pretty bad. The Flames' forwards can sting, but I think our boys can do this. Hope McCabe can play, he's been our best defenseman in the last ~6 games. 

2 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

It’s our R2D1

two Rasmus 1st d pair.

if they screw up they become R2D2

You are twitter famous...

The Charging Buffalo @TheChargingBUF 3m3 minutes ago
R2D2 is the best nickname I’ve seen for the Rasmus-Rasmus pairing
Buffalo SabresVerified account @BuffaloSabres 2m2 minutes ago
Rasmus Squared, Rasmi, R2D2. "Actually, I'm excited to play with him. He's been really good. Just talk to him a lot, just try to make him feel comfortable and do his thing." http://bufsabres.co/F62HJq 
Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo SabresVerified account @BuffaloSabres 1m1 minute ago

from morning skate. #SabresBuffaloSabresNHL.png lines:
Skinner-Eichel-Pominville
Thompson-Sobotka-Okposo
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Berglund-Larsson-Girgensons
Elie, Rodrigues extras
Dahlin-Ristolainen
Scandella-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Nelson
Hutton, in goal
Ullmark

Bold move, Cotton.  Beaulieu and Nelson played 58:07 of 5v5 last year and posted a CF% of 40.38, team worst among any pairings that lasted more than 35 minutes of 5v5.  It'll be an interesting result if they do better- either a commentary on their growth or perhaps better support from the forwards.

Moving Dahlin to his off hand is also interesting.

TT or Elie?  I like TT, but not enough where I don't see he should be playing in Rochester.  I liked Elie when he played last.  More of the reasons why the urge to question HCPH's coaching abilities eventually boil over.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.