GDT Calgary Flames vs Buffalo Sabres 7pm ET 10/30/2018

jsb

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think there are ways for Bogosian to do that without skating from the blue line to the hash marks and hitting someone.

And I think I want Hutton to not know or worry about what Paul Hamilton is saying about him.

He was skating to where the puck was going to be to meet the guy who was going to receive the puck. He then saw an opportunity and took it.

I guess it would have been better if he had just stayed at the blue line and watched the guy receive the puck and make an uncontested breakout pass leading to a rush the other way.

FTR, I could easily have seen that go uncalled if, perhaps, Bogo was wearing a Bruins or Penguins jersey. In fact, I have seen that play go uncalled. Yep, I said it.

Great hit. Highlight of the game for me.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He was skating to where the puck was going to be to meet the guy who was going to receive the puck. He then saw an opportunity and took it.

I guess it would have been better if he had just stayed at the blue line and watched the guy receive the puck and make an uncontested breakout pass leading to a rush the other way.

FTR, I could easily have seen that go uncalled if, perhaps, Bogo was wearing a Bruins or Penguins jersey. In fact, I have seen that play go uncalled. Yep, I said it.

Great hit. Highlight of the game for me.

Jane, you ignorant...

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I watched the game last night after getting home late and couldn't put my finger on the issue until this morning.  Last night should have been an easy win for the Sabres.  Two similar teams (record wise), one rested and playing at home, the other coming off an tough win the night before on the road.  Sabres should have skated them into the ground and won 4-1.  Instead Calgary dominating in long stretches and only Hutton's stellar play kept this game close.

I'm not sure my farcical comment on Jack having nothing left in the tank after the Pats game was far off. Not for him specifically, but the team played with a certain sluggish hangover-ish demeanor. It's not hard to imagine that a bunch of them were out late on Monday.

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure my farcical comment on Jack having nothing left in the tank after the Pats game was far off. Not for him specifically, but the team played with a certain sluggish hangover-ish demeanor. It's not hard to imagine that a bunch of them were out late on Monday.

I'm glad you brought this up. What I saw was a bunch of guys dragging ass. They got the ol brown bottle flu. It happens, hopefully they will learn they can't do that. 

I review the goals against....

1st CGY goal.... Sobotka vacates the zone instead of stopping on the puck at the point.    The puck is dumped back in, Girgensons makes a nice play to win the battle, and has the puck on his stick within 10ft of the blue line.    He fails to clear.   CGY regains possession.    Sobotka is so out of position that Giordano gets to waltz in to the top of the left circle for big wind up because Larsson has to challenge the puck carrier in the middle of the ice. 

Screenshot-20181031-130815-NHL.jpg 

Risto is stuck in no-man's land between the goalie and the shooter.    Instead of laying out to block the shot he puts his stick in the shot lane and his body out of the lane.   The puck hits his stick, takes a bounce and Tkachuk deflects it home.       Risto needed to be in front, locking up Tkachuk, or laying out in the shot lane.     Hutton makes that save 99 times out of 100 if he gets a clear look at it.     Turnovers at the blue line are killers.

Screenshot-20181031-130903-NHL.jpg

2nd CGY goal... Risto picks up the puck at the hash marks in his own zone after an heroic backcheck by Eichel to thwart a scoring chance in tight.     Eichel recognizes they have numbers and accelerates up ice with Risto and Reinhart.    

Screenshot-20181031-131230-NHL.jpg

They have a 3-on-2 from their own hash marks.... Risto carries the puck up ice across the CGY blue line.    I have no problem with that.    However, instead of dropping it back to the team captain and most offensively gifted player on the team, Risto decides to be a hero and do it all himself.   

Screenshot-20181031-131251-NHL.jpg

If Risto had dropped it, Eichel has an open passing lane to Reinhart who would've walking in all by himself, at worst creating a mini 2-on-1 with him and Eichel.    I like their chances to score in that situation.   However, Risto keeps the puck, not only negating a scoring chance, but he turns it over... and not only turns it over... he falls down AND loses his stick.     Giordano also falls down with Risto.    Reinhart sees both players on the ice and decides to attack the puck carrier, but he's too late and doesn't do enough to take away the passing lane up ice.     Giordano beats Risto to his feet and sprints down ice to join the rush... really nice play by Giordano... meanwhile, Risto is still fishing around on the ice for his stick. 

Screenshot-20181031-131447-NHL.jpg

I don't understand how Housley can watch replay's of these goals and not recognize Risto's lack of hockey IQ... and it's happening far too often.    At some point, Risto needs to be pushed down the lineup, or at least get limited ice tie in OT.   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

How much does one expect to pay for beef on weck in Buffalo?  I know looked up Schwabl's and their basic sandwich is almost $10.  $11 for stadium grub doesn't seem that outrageous (I'm sure it's a smaller serving size than Schwabl's and not the same quality, but still $11 doesn't seem too bad.)  Our local Buffalo joint here in Texas also charges $10, and they have a great kimmelweck.

Anderson's is about $6 for the 5 oz, and it's fine.

I won't quote Pi's breakdown, but the play on the 3 on 2 is almost always to drop it to the high guy who can either pass or shoot with two players going to the net. The fact that it's Eichel only makes that even more painful.  

I'm still convinced it was a bit unlucky that Reinhart jumped in just as the puck broke free and at that point I'm not sure who on the Sabres would make up that ground.

All in all, bad stuff from Risto.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.