[Game Day] Canadiens @ Sabres 7:00PM

SabresBeat

should rest Lyudman or how ever you spell his name. The sabres need to realize that the playoffs start now. 4 games left now all against playoff teams other than the leafs which should be a playoff feel to it.

should rest Lyudman or how ever you spell his name.

I agree with Strow...I really have not liked Lydman's play over the course of the past 3-4 games. He just seems a step or two behind, and hasn't been overly effective in front of the net. I have liked the way Fitzpatrick has been playing lately...I wouldn't mind seeing him stay in the lineup tonight and give Tony a few days off.

I think part of Lydman's poor play might stem from the fact that he never got any rest during the Olympics, and has been slightly banged up since then. Then again, perhaps these last 3 days off were all he needed.

I'm looking for a strong effort tonight by the boys...they should come out flying and really have their legs.

While it might not be getting alot of press (at least not as much as the Philly and Ottawa games last weekend were) I feel that this is a very important game for the Sabres. A solid win tonight against a hot team would prove that the Sabres are finally out of their post-olympic funk, and are ready for the second season to start.

Montreal Canadiens Who's hot: LW Chris Higgins has a goal in each of the last four games

Record last 5: 4-1

Power play: 87-444 (19.6%)

Penalty killing: 377-466 (80.9%)

Injuries: C Radek Bonk (leg) is day to day. C Steve Begin and D Francis Bouillon (leg) are out.

Fast fact: G Cristobal Huet leads the league with a .931 save percentage.

Season Series: Sabres lead, 3-2-1-0

Buffalo Sabres Who's hot: RW Maxim Afinogenov has two goals and seven assists in the last four games.

Record last 5: 3-2

Power play: 96-459 (20.9%)

Penalty killing: 358-416 (86.1%)

Injuries: C Adam Mair (concussion) and LW Jochen Hecht (knee) are out.

Fast fact: Thomas Vanek is sixth among rookies with 24 goals.

1-0 Pyatt deflects a Talinder blast from the point!

BUT...If the officiating is this bad, at home no less, can we beat the upper echelon teams?

OK...I just hate officials, but I thought tonight was really bad.

Think about it. You had "have another donut, you fat pig" and Marouelli (sp?) reffing tonight. Could the reffing be anything but bad?

OK, I had to work late. How did Miller look tonight? Turning away all 15 shots in the third looks impressive, but, were they quality shots?

I missed the 1st period due to work as well, but caught the final two. In Lindy's postgame remarks he said that by the Sabres stats, Miller only faced one real scoring chance in the 1st.

Montreal really carried much of the play in the 2nd period, and man...every chance, Miller was right there. Miller was giving up very few rebounds, and flat out robbed one Canadien on a cross-crease save. Also made a real nice save on a backhanded shot on a rush, where he stacked the pads.

Also, you have to give some cred to the Sabres stellar defensive play. There was rarely a Canadien left open, and Montreal had tons of passes intercepted by the Sabres in their own zone. The PK also looked very strong tonight as well.

Still, another strong game by Miller. I thought he looked like he was getting back to his old self.

Do you find it a little sad that a Sabres game day thread gets 15 posts, and a Bills game day thread gets about 200? I guess most folks are in the chat room.

PTR

There's no question the chat room has reduced the posts in the gamesday threads. Hopefully the post quality has gone up though! :)

Do you find it a little sad that a Sabres game day thread gets 15 posts, and a Bills game day thread gets about 200? I guess most folks are in the chat room.

PTR

I logged on to the Leafs message board the night that Tucker took his cheap shot on Hecht. They were well over 100 posts for that game. I must say, very few of them had anything intelligent to say and it seemed like there were at least 30 some posts complaining about Leafs TV.

I think an awful lot of the Bills game day threads are filled with junk posts as well. Also...I think the fact that tonight was a weeknight game, that didn't seem to have too much of a buzz surrounding it hurts the posting numbers. I get the feeling lots of people are taking it easy lately waiting for the playoffs to start. Can't say that I blame them. Good point about the chat room effect too. I was dumb to ignore that.

I missed the 1st period due to work as well, but caught the final two. In Lindy's postgame remarks he said that by the Sabres stats, Miller only faced one real scoring chance in the 1st.

Montreal really carried much of the play in the 2nd period, and man...every chance, Miller was right there. Miller was giving up very few rebounds, and flat out robbed one Canadien on a cross-crease save. Also made a real nice save on a backhanded shot on a rush, where he stacked the pads.

Also, you have to give some cred to the Sabres stellar defensive play. There was rarely a Canadien left open, and Montreal had tons of passes intercepted by the Sabres in their own zone. The PK also looked very strong tonight as well.

Still, another strong game by Miller. I thought he looked like he was getting back to his old self.

That is very good news indeed. They're now 4-1 in their last 5... :)

I logged on to the Leafs message board the night that Tucker took his cheap shot on Hecht. They were well over 100 posts for that game. I must say, very few of them had anything intelligent to say and it seemed like there were at least 30 some posts complaining about Leafs TV.

I think an awful lot of the Bills game day threads are filled with junk posts as well. Also...I think the fact that tonight was a weeknight game, that didn't seem to have too much of a buzz surrounding it hurts the posting numbers. I get the feeling lots of people are taking it easy lately waiting for the playoffs to start. Can't say that I blame them. Good point about the chat room effect too. I was dumb to ignore that.

I was in class till 8 and watched on Tivo when I got home. If I came here or to the chat room as I watched the game, I would have ruined it for myself. :)

Here's my 2 cents:

1. Great win. Montreal may or may not have brought their A game, but we certainly did, and when we play like that we will beat anyone. We completely dominated the 1st period.

2. Miller is back. Hallelujah. He didn't have much to do in the 1st period but stoned the habs on real scoring chances at least half a dozen times over the rest of the game.

3. I've said this before, but the Connolly-Max-Kotalik line was a brilliant stroke by Lindy. They are electrifying. The article in the paper today comparing Max to Perreault was interesting -- I've been thinking that Timmy has a little bit of Gilbert in him. Heresy, I know, but Timmy really has it on a string.

4. Speaking of our lines, I decided last night that we have 2 legit #1 lines (Connolly's and Briere's), a legit #2 line (Drury) and a legit #3 line (Gaustat's).

5. Speaking of Briere's line, when Hecht gets back, who sits? I think it will be Pominville, who has been very quiet for about a month.

6. Every time I decide that we can't pay too much to bring McKee back next year, he has a game like last night where he is just a rock, and I feel like we need him back. This is a tough one, b/c I think someone will give him close to $3 million per year and I have a hard time seeing us paying him that much.

7. Grier at this point has hands of stone -- he is totally ineffective in the offensive zone -- but on the other hand he is tough, great on the PK and a good leader. I liked how he stuck his nose in when Bulis hit Tallinder after the whistle. I also think he protects Drury and Roy, who are both pretty small guys. This will be another tough post-season decision as I think Grier is a free agent and we are loaded at forward. Still, would we be better this year with, say, Novotny instead of Grier? I don't think so.

8. I'd really like to have Mair back for the playoffs but I doubt it will happen and it's much more important that he get well.

9. I know everyone likes Rick and Jim, and I do too, but TSN's coverage is consistently excellent. We would never see those highlights of Max from the 1999 world junior tournament on MSG. Although the TSN crew clearly favors the Canadian teams, they know a lot about the Sabres as well as the league generally.

Go Sabres.