GDT Buffalo Sabres at Columbus 7pm ET 10/27/2018

jsb

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ullmark did not play well tonight, Hutton still owns the starting job at this point. The Sabres played a fun game and when they got down, they played hard. 

The PP, looks anemic, they got the one goal, but this game was sloppy from a bouncing Puck and players falling all over standpoint, that didn't help, idk if the ice was bad, but I noticed it a lot out there. 

Columbus is good (I think) and we kept up and could have easily won it, so I will take it and hope we continue this same style 

I was going to make a post about this. I've never seen so many Pucks just die halfway to their destination. 

4 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

How loud is the canon after a goal?

It’s fairly loud! They fire it once during pre-game ceremonies, and I think that one really gets the unsuspecting fan.. Even if you’re anticipating it after a goal, you aren’t ready for it before the game even starts. My wife jumps every time ?

So, I did not see, or listen to, the game.  I did not read this whole thread.

This is what I think after atching the highlights ...

It was a good game by both teams.  Both goalies were good, but shakey at times too.

The Sabres started well, but gave up the lead to trail by two heading into the third.  They played hard in the third to tie it, but lacjed a bit of that killer instinct once they tied it.

I have never been a fan of the point for a loss things, but last night I think the Sabres earned that point.

I hope this game dispels the notion I've seen floated a few times here that "we wouldn't have lost if we started Ullmark"  

Let's have some faith in both goalies -  and try to remember that every goalie has a bad game/games.   

We're playing at a 96 pt season pace right now - which would be tremendous if we finished the year in the 90s.    Heck, if we make it thru 2018-19 with an 85-90 pt pace,  I'll be satisfied - especially with so many young players on the roster who should only get better and contribute more next year and beyond.   

And Eichel is only at a 22 goals for the season pace - I would hope he can pick that up substantially before too long.  

Edited by Jsixspd
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Jsixspd said:

I hope this game dispels the notion I've seen floated a few times here that "we wouldn't have lost if we started Ullmark"  

Let's have some faith in both goalies -  and try to remember that every goalie has a bad game/games.   

We're playing at a 96 pt season pace right now - which would be tremendous if we finished the year in the 90s.    Heck, if we make it thru 2018-19 with an 85-90 pt pace,  I'll be satisfied - especially with so many young players on the roster who should only get better and contribute more next year and beyond.   

And Eichel is only at a 22 goals for the season pace - I would hope he can pick that up substantially before too long.  

I don't believe 1 subpar game for Ullmark out of 3 is a benchmark I'd be drawing that conclusion on. But judging by these numbers, it appears Ullmark, even with that subpar game, is earning that job.

# Name GP Min GA GAA W L T ENG SO Saves SvPct
35 Linus Ullmark 3 180 6 2.00 2 0 1 0 1 87 0.935
40 Carter Hutton 8 468 24 3.07 4 4 0 0 0 228 0.905
Edited by Scottysabres

47 minutes ago, Jsixspd said:

One might say that he's off his normal pace, but if he sets up Skinnner for 44 goals (his current pace), I think that would be success.  Being named captain, and taking his share of defensive responsibilities with ROR's departure, might be applying a downward pressure on the "selfish Jack" style that gave him a lot of goals.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

One might say that he's off his normal pace, but if he sets up Skinnner for 44 goals (his current pace), I think that would be success.  Being named captain, and taking his share of defensive responsibilities with ROR's departure, might be applying a downward pressure on the "selfish Jack" style that gave him a lot of goals.

Yep, although he is not getting the goals he is definitely playing ROR's role on his line and is directly responsible for the success of that line. I also think Larson, Bergland and  Girg's is taking a bunch of that defensive responsibility as some other have said here as well. Specifically matching up against other teams top lines with a solid result. 

All and all i am really happy to have good hockey to watch from my favorite team...   

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Missed the game tonight because I was at GA/FLA game in Jacksonville.  

Went to watch the game when I got back to the hotel.  On the NHL app I have it set to hide the scores, but f..ing NHL has a story showing the score in the headline.  Kind of ruined the fun. Jerks.

Happy for Mitts and another two goal comeback.

Mittlestadt said Skinner actually smacked his stick which caused him to hit the puck and it to go in...Skinner should get some type of credit haha...

My quick hits:

• It was good to see the Sabres come back again. This kind of battle demonstrates the mentality we've been looking for as fans.
  • Scandella needs a few maintenance days.
  • Ristolainen perhaps should play forward.  He was more impressive in the offensive zone carrying the puck than he was on the back end.
  • Ullmark proved why he should NOT be the starting goaltender yet. When CBJ jumped up a few goals he began pushing too hard and quite a few times was overcommitting to the play. Nick Foligno almost beat him on one.  I like Ullmark and he's showing signs of what he will be, but he's not there yet.
  • Thompson is slow. Very slow.
  • Jack appears to be picking his spots and not trying to overdo it. I think he'll grow back into his game but he continues to be out there playing hard, using his body, and making the timely play when needed. 

In the past I would have walked away when they were down 2... not anymore.  We were rewarded with the effort to come back.  OT sucked, but that's the way it goes.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe 1 subpar game for Ullmark out of 3 is a benchmark I'd be drawing that conclusion on. But judging by these numbers, it appears Ullmark, even with that subpar game, is earning that job.

# Name GP Min GA GAA W L T ENG SO Saves SvPct
35 Linus Ullmark 3 180 6 2.00 2 0 1 0 1 87 0.935
40 Carter Hutton 8 468 24 3.07 4 4 0 0 0 228 0.905

I thought he played really well. The defense gave up a lot of quality opportunities but he didn't look rattled at all. 

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

My quick hits:

• It was good to see the Sabres come back again. This kind of battle demonstrates the mentality we've been looking for as fans.
  • Scandella needs a few maintenance days.
  • Ristolainen perhaps should play forward.  He was more impressive in the offensive zone carrying the puck than he was on the back end.
  • Ullmark proved why he should NOT be the starting goaltender yet. When CBJ jumped up a few goals he began pushing too hard and quite a few times was overcommitting to the play. Nick Foligno almost beat him on one.  I like Ullmark and he's showing signs of what he will be, but he's not there yet.
  • Thompson is slow. Very slow.
  • Jack appears to be picking his spots and not trying to overdo it. I think he'll grow back into his game but he continues to be out there playing hard, using his body, and making the timely play when needed. 

In the past I would have walked away when they were down 2... not anymore.  We were rewarded with the effort to come back.  OT sucked, but that's the way it goes.

Thompson slow? I haven't noticed that but will watch to see for it. 

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Mittlestadt said Skinner actually smacked his stick which caused him to hit the puck and it to go in...Skinner should get some type of credit haha...

I just saw the overhead replay and yeah it looks like Skinner shot that through mittlestadts stick, haha.

2 hours ago, skaught said:

I just saw the overhead replay and yeah it looks like Skinner shot that through mittlestadts stick, haha.

It's amazing what desire does

Glad Casey got credit, he has been working hard

Yes, it appeared as if Marco could use some maintenance time and birthday boy (Risto) had a tough go of it

Edited by holzinger'sgone

• SDS unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Yep, although he is not getting the goals he is definitely playing ROR's role on his line and is directly responsible for the success of that line. I also think Larson, Bergland and  Girg's is taking a bunch of that defensive responsibility as some other have said here as well. Specifically matching up against other teams top lines with a solid result. 

All and all i am really happy to have good hockey to watch from my favorite team...   

This.  On principle, I really don't want to celebrate a loser point on the road, but fighting back after giving up 3 straight goals to go down 4-2 is something that we haven't been able to count on a Sabres team to do in years.  And this was their third straight game battling back when they were down.

It's only 11 games but so far this is a different team.  They haven't fallen apart at the first sign of adversity and have dominated games at times.  We've been waiting years for this, and the schedule is giving them a chance to keep it going the next couple weeks.  

I'm hoping this is the real thing.  I want to believe. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, holzinger'sgone said:

It's amazing what desire does

Glad Casey got credit, he has been working hard

Yes, it appeared as if Marco could use some maintenance time and birthday boy (Risto) had a tough go of it

Risto looks to me to be getting worse by the game. Anyone else notice this?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.