The Checking Line: Zemgus-Larsson-Berglund

nfreeman

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

One for Bergie and one for Gus against the Sens.  Can't complain.

Even if they don't score very often at all, they're doing exactly what we all envisioned - if you look at the shot attempt numbers for them, they're both winning the battle, AND keeping both shots for and against low (only 20 minutes fewer than the ~90 the Jack line has played together, but less than half of the total shots taken by both teams combined in that stretch). 

That's an incredibly valuable tool to have at your disposal. 

It's bonus that Larry has rebounded and had a very nice season so far.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even if they don't score very often at all, they're doing exactly what we all envisioned - if you look at the shot attempt numbers for them, they're both winning the battle, AND keeping both shots for and against low (only 20 minutes fewer than the ~90 the Jack line has played together, but less than half of the total shots taken by both teams combined in that stretch). 

That's an incredibly valuable tool to have at your disposal. 

It's bonus that Larry has rebounded and had a very nice season so far.

It's funny how that happens when someone is pushing for your job.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's funny how that happens when your arm has finally fully recovered from a compound fracture.

Larsson had 11 points (six goals, five assists) in 36 games for Buffalo in 2016-17 when he dislocated his wrist and elbow on New Year's Eve and required season-ending surgery. He showed no ill effects from the injury when he returned after signing a two-year contract on July 8, 2017.

Hmmmmm

45 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

He showed no ill effects from the injury when he returned after signing a two-year contract on July 8, 2017.

You can say that, but he just wasn't right last year.  Several Sabres had career-worst years, and he was one of them.

The other notable was Okie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You can say that, but he just wasn't right last year.  Several Sabres had career-worst years, and he was one of them.

The other notable was Okie.

That was a quote from his Bio on Sabres site....not ME saying it.

I could ask....were they all recovering from injury? But I won't.

Another might have been Girgs. 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Larsson had 11 points (six goals, five assists) in 36 games for Buffalo in 2016-17 when he dislocated his wrist and elbow on New Year's Eve and required season-ending surgery. He showed no ill effects from the injury when he returned after signing a two-year contract on July 8, 2017.

Hmmmmm

According to whom did he "show no ill effects?"

He looked MUCH worse last year than he did prior to breaking his arm once he'd been put back into a full time C role.

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

That was a quote from his Bio on Sabres site....not ME saying it.

I could ask....were they all recovering from injury? But I won't.

Another might have been Girgs. 

^^^^ 

Just happened to see it looking for an article on Larsson.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

According to whom did he "show no ill effects?"

He looked MUCH worse last year than he did prior to breaking his arm once he'd been put back into a full time C role.

6 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

^^^^ 

Just happened to see it looking for an article on Larsson.

So, according to the Sabres PR department, he was wonderful.  Do you have any LEGITIMATE sources that claim the compound fracture of 2 bones was completely healed and didn't affect his play?

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, according to the Sabres PR department, he was wonderful.  Do you have any LEGITIMATE sources that claim the compound fracture of 2 bones was completely healed and didn't affect his play?

Is there a difference between dislocated and compound fracture?

Can you verify it wasn't healed?

I'll be glad to concede.

Anyway it is a contract season yes?

People are pushing for his job yes?

48 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'll be glad to concede.

My bad on the multiple dislocations vs fracture.  Been a VERY long day.

But there's NFW that injury wasn't bothering him last season.  How would I "verify" his injury wasn't fully healed?   You aren't going to believe that, so there really isn't a point to continue to talk past each other.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone know why TT started over Berglund last night?  I.e. was Berglund banged up?  Or was he just a healthy scratch in favor of TT?

As I mentioned in the GDT, I don't think there was much if any loss of effectiveness in the checking line last night.  Larsson and Zemgus were both quite good and TT did fine too.

If Berglund was healthy-scratched, that would be twice this year, right?  And the Sabres have him under contract for 3 more years after this season?

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So does anyone know why TT started over Berglund last night?  I.e. was Berglund banged up?  Or was he just a healthy scratch in favor of TT?

As I mentioned in the GDT, I don't think there was much if any loss of effectiveness in the checking line last night.  Larsson and Zemgus were both quite good and TT did fine too.

If Berglund was healthy-scratched, that would be twice this year, right?  And the Sabres have him under contract for 3 more years after this season?

Housley said he wanted TT's speed in the line-up against TB.  So I guess that does count as a healthy scratch for Berglund.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I would have preferred Berglund's experience over Tage's "speed", but what do I know. 

Yes I would love to see the zemgus-larsson-berglund line reunited and not messed with as the checking line. With Casey and ERod coming on lately as the 2/3 centers, we should be working to identify their best line pairings to maximize offense and leave the Larsson line to cover tough matchups and provide some consistency. They have been very effective at shot/chance suppression.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2018 at 10:33 PM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'll be glad to concede.

A compound fracture is multiple breaks of the same bone usually piercing the skin... its nasty.  compound_fracture_1__by_wonderbandalice-

Dislocation is when either the bone like the elbow is out of its joint. posterior1-590x418.jpgCombined is a bad thing and gonna take awhile even with all the plates and screws to comback from and regain stength.

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

A compound fracture is multiple breaks of the same bone usually piercing the skin... its nasty.  compound_fracture_1__by_wonderbandalice-

Dislocation is when either the bone like the elbow is out of its joint. posterior1-590x418.jpgCombined is a bad thing and gonna take awhile even with all the plates and screws to comback from and regain stength.

Ouch, nice photos.

I knew the difference but the pics help accentuate things a bit, thanks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.