The Checking Line: Zemgus-Larsson-Berglund

nfreeman

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it's deserving of its own thread.

I think this line is playing great.  So far they are doing everything you'd want a true checking line to do -- they are getting matched up against the opposition's top line (and it seems like Howie has them starting most periods in order to get these matchups), bearing the burden of defensive-zone faceoffs, backchecking very effectively and frequently forcing possession in the other team's offensive zone with good forechecking -- thus killing the shifts of the opponents' top lines.

I'm also pleasantly surprised in that Howie putting this line together seems to have rescued the careers of Zemgus and Larsson (whom I and I think many others were ready to move on from over the summer).  It's also rescued Berglund from new-whipping-boy status, at least in my book.

Last night this line got essentially the same amount of ES ice time as the Sheary-Sobotka-Reino line and more than the ERod-Mitts-KO line.

If TT, Nylander, CJ Smith or Olofsson is going to force his way into the lineup, it doesn't look like -- at least for now -- that it will come at the expense of anyone on this line.

I can't remember the last time the Sabres had a checking line that was this good -- probably during the Peca era?

• Like (+1) 6

I think it's premature to call this line a success but yeah, early returns are looking good.

Last year it seemed like we had a bunch of interesting pieces but they didn't fit together very well.  This year HCPH seems to have a better idea of what the team needs to play his system and how to put players into rolls to be successful.  I think you'll see further tinkering; when Pommers cools off on the top line they may move him down to this line and promote Larsson or Gus up to the third line or something, but I have faith that he's learning how to do this tinkering.  I think having everyone play his system and the team acting as a 5-man unit will help when he moves players between lines.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

The 5 man unit concept sure has taken these guys a long time to adjust to.  Isnt that the old Herb Brooks concept.  At least finally they are buying in.  PH should play Miracle on Ice a few times a year for these guys.

McCabe on a breakaway?  McCabe down in the corner setting up the tying goal?  I never woulda thunk it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The fact they're not getting dominated is a step in the right direction.    However, in order to field a playoff team, that 4th line needs to chip in offensively.... which they haven't and I'm not sure they're capable.

They're creating chances, but, by its nature, the checking line isn't filled with skill to always capitalize on those chances.

19 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The fact they're not getting dominated is a step in the right direction.    However, in order to field a playoff team, that 4th line needs to chip in offensively.... which they haven't and I'm not sure they're capable.

Here's an apocalyptic statement.  I 100% agree with you here.

For this season, this will likely be the line that gets used.  However, as they build towards being a team built for a deep playoff run they will need players who have the ability to put it in the net when they get the chance while still shutting down the other teams top players.

10 minutes ago, LTS said:

Here's an apocalyptic statement.  I 100% agree with you here.

For this season, this will likely be the line that gets used.  However, as they build towards being a team built for a deep playoff run they will need players who have the ability to put it in the net when they get the chance while still shutting down the other teams top players.

Guess I could go along with this, ? is that a luxury or a necessity?

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

McCabe on a breakaway?  McCabe down in the corner setting up the tying goal?  I never woulda thunk it.

Interesting to see and fun to watch.  But there are costs of course.  On Domi's second, McCabe was high at the blue line and Rodriguez was left to defend Domi...which he didn't do at all.  But still, it is an exciting thing.

It's a tradeoff though, innit?  You incur some risk on the back end to maximize the opportunity at the front end.

When Reinhart scored, the risk incurred was that if the Habs had intercepted one of the passes, Sheary would have been forced into defensive coverage.  But using defensemen in the attack keeps the pressure on the other team to sustain that attack and in that particular case led to Reino's goal. 

If the Sabres are winning, then an occasional goal given up because a forward was forced to play D is an acceptable cost.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Well, that's true, but having even a second line scoring once and awhile is just such a breath of fresh air that I can wait for the others line to chip in. 

Berglund certainly seems more comfortable in this current less demanding role than he did starting on the #2 line. Definitely no reason to break it up at the moment. When injuries hit, as they always do, I hope we have young call ups we can plug in to spots to keep some line continuity. If we have to juggle a lot we may lose chemistry.

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Now you are talking stanly cup winners, but I do love hte optimism on this board ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.