GASabresIUFAN

Lineup 2019-2020

By the way.  What does Pilut’s playing more minutes already then Baloo tell you about Baloo’s future with the Sabres beyond this season?  It tells me that Baloo is a spare part and likely won’t be a Sabres next year.

On December 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way.  What does Pilut’s playing more minutes already then Baloo tell you about Baloo’s future with the Sabres beyond this season?  It tells me that Baloo is a spare part and likely won’t be a Sabres next year.

Pilut is the future fo sure but I sure like having a guy who is willing to drop the gloves occasionally to keep the other side honest. He isn't a goon in the truest sense of the word but he is the only guy we have capable of filling that role. I may be in the minority but I still believe you need some sort of a deterent. Either that or a great Power play which we just don't have.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Sabre1974 said:

Think of Dylan Larkin? Long shot that any of them could be ready and do agree with you though. Could always live in hope though eh😀

Making any plan or decision around the possibility that mid-to-late first round picks are ready immediately is a fireable offense.

• Like 1

In the Leafs Nation thread we have been talking about possible cap he’ll in the near future for us.

I doubt it.

Right now we have 8 forwards signed for next year (not including Berglund) for 29 mill (Jack, KO, Sam, Vlad, Sheary, Tage, Wilson and Mitts).  Larsson, Z, and ERod are RFAs.  Skinner and Pommers are UFAs.  Nylander and Olofsson are also signed for next season 863K and 768K respectively.

On defense we have 8 D signed and 2 RFAs.  The 8 signed are Hunwick, Risto, Scandella, Dahlin, Pilut, Guhle, Nelson and Bogo for 20.153.  Baloo and McCabe are the RFAs.  

Hutton is also signed for the next 2 seasons at 2.75.  

That’s 17 players for approximately 52 mill.  Add Nylander and Olofsson, re-sign Skinner (8.5 x 6 years) and Ullmark (2 x 3 years) and you’ve nearly completed the roster for 64 mill.  Re-sign two of Z, Larsson and ERod and your done for under 68 mill.  Re-sign McCabe maybe your adding 3.5 to 4.  I’m going with 3.5 because of his recent injury history and lack of high offense.

Beyond next season it’s a complete open slate.

In 2020-2021 we have 3 forwards (Jack, KO, and Nylander) for 16.812, Hutton for 2.75 and Dahlin and Risto for 6.325.  Add the suggested McCabe, Skinner and Ullmark deals and your at 40 mill for 9 players. That is a huge amount of room (approx 45 mill) to keep Reinhart, Tage and Mitts (assuming they develop as hoped) and complete the roster.  Guhle, Olofsson, and Pilut will need new deals, but I doubt any of them break the bank. Asplund, Borgen and maybe Davidsson or Pekar could also be ready for a roster spot.  Jbot will also likely have re-signed Erod, Larsson and/or Girgensons to at least 2 year deals this summer adding some less expensive talent to the mix.

My guess for 2020-21

Forwards: Jack 10, Skinner 8.5, Sam 7.5, KO 6, Tage 3, Mitts 5, Larsson 1.75, Girgensons 2, Asplund .845, Nylander .863, Olofsson 1.5 = 11 forwards for 47 mill.

Defense: Risto 5.4, Dahlin .925,  McCabe 3.5, Pilut 2.5, Guhle 1.25, Borgen .864 = 6 defense for 14.439

Goalies: Hutton 2.75, Ullmark 2 = 4.75

That team costs a fraction over 66 mill with room for a 4th line RW and depth forwards and D and plenty of room to re-sign Dahlin that off-season.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 12/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy.  He had a tough time here through this summer, but this year he's playing very well and will find himself the odd man out.

With the deadline just weeks away coupled with our death spiral since November,  does this change the calculus for next season? 

I think it does.  Our bottom of the NHL performance in recent weeks has revealed some real flaws with this team.  It starts with a lack of a true 2nd line center.  It’s compounded by falloff in performance of two key D (Bogo and Scandy) and a lack of finish on any of our wingers outside Samson, Skinner and the improving Thompson.  

So while it’s literally possible to bring back this entire squad, some real change is necessary.  It could begin at the deadline,  if it’s move likely over the summer.

So far I’m pretty sure the Skinner gets re-signed.  Jack, Samson, Dahlin, Pilut, Mitts, Thompson and the 2 goalies will all be back.  After that, I can see scenarios where Jbot could move on from everyone else.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the deadline just weeks away coupled with our death spiral since November,  does this change the calculus for next season? 

I think it does.  Our bottom of the NHL performance in recent weeks has revealed some real flaws with this team.  It starts with a lack of a true 2nd line center.  It’s compounded by falloff in performance of two key D (Bogo and Scandy) and a lack of finish on any of our wingers outside Samson, Skinner and the improving Thompson.  

So while it’s literally possible to bring back this entire squad, some real change is necessary.  It could begin at the deadline,  if it’s move likely over the summer.

So far I’m pretty sure the Skinner gets re-signed.  Jack, Samson, Dahlin, Pilut, Mitts, Thompson and the 2 goalies will all be back.  After that, I can see scenarios where Jbot could move on from everyone else.  

I think we are, or should be, a playoff team with the addition of solely a bona fide 2C. Gotta think it's #1 on Botterill's list. Most of the roster seems to fall into place after that, at least at forward.

On D we have a need on the right side still. I really don't think re-upping Bogo after next season is the answer. Adding a top-4 RHD is to me the biggest secondary need. 

Offseasons are always busy but it looks like Botterill will have less to do this offseason compared to the last, hopefully giving him the time to focus on adding both those players.

With Bogo and Nelson only on 1 yr deals and Borgen a question mark, Jbot needs to add an RHD or two. 

Also with 9 healthy D, someone us getting traded at the deadline. 

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With Bogo and Nelson only on 1 yr deals and Borgen a question mark, Jbot needs to add an RHD or two. 

Also with 9 healthy D, someone us getting traded at the deadline. 

Any thoughts on Brett Pesce? I've been on some other boards (mainly 'Canes) and talk is he "could" be available. Did a little research on him and seems pretty solid. Signed for about 3-4yrs at around $4M.

Actually he has 5 years left a 4 mill per season.  He is a Jbot kind of player.  College educated. 

More of defensive D man but has some skill. I saw that Carolina is willing to trade him.  Not sure why u trade a solid 24 year old D.  I don’t know about his skating.

Considering Waddell is the GM, we can probably get him for Baloo, a box of donuts, and O’Regan and a 2nd rd pick in 2021.

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually he has 5 years left a 4 mill per season.  He is a Jbot kind of player.  College educated. 

More of defensive D man but has some skill. I saw that Carolina is willing to trade him.  Not sure why u trade a solid 24 year old D.  I don’t know about his skating.

Considering Waddell is the GM, we can probably get him for Baloo, a box of donuts, and O’Regan and a 2nd rd pick in 2021.

From what I've seen they say above average skating....I think we could push that draft pick to 2031, lol.

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not sure why u trade a solid 24 year old D.

They do have more RHD and some decent prospects in Charlotte. With Faulk and Hamilton, he could be our McCabe (who can you move that has value and can help bring in a piece to help elsewhere).