Re-sign Jason Pominville ?

GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

No thank you.*

*On the assumption that his legs will give, as they have every season for a while now

And I say this lovingly, as Jason is the man. But our roster simply has to be good enough to make this uneccessary in 2019-20.

Yep. He started off great last season as well, then his production fell off a cliff. I'm happy he's playing well, but I don't expect it to last and it's only going to get worse with each passing year.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Anything over 1 year is too long at this point. If he wants a 1yr 2.5mil deal, sure I could give him that. If he wants a 2-3 year 3mil deal, I'm out. 

Assuming he doesn't tail off this season, like he did last year (to be kind about it), then offer him a 1 year deal preferrably closer to $1MM than $2MM that can net him an extra $500k - $1MM (effectively) for each line above the 4th that he slots in on.  

Surprised you aren't pushing for anincentive laden contract as he IS one of the few vets in the league that can actually be offered one.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

No thank you.*

*On the assumption that his legs will give, as they have every season for a while now

And I say this lovingly, as Jason is the man. But our roster simply has to be good enough to make this uneccessary in 2019-20.

I agree. I like Pominville, but by next year I'm wanting his slot to be filled by a young guy.  Nylander, CJ Smith, Olofson, among others are who I want to see there.  Last year Pominville got off to an "OK" start but faded as the season went on.  ANY money that would be spent on Pominville (even if just $1.5 -$2.5 million) is money I want thrown at Skinner.

Pominville stopped producing at his season-opening pace last year after he was taken off of Jack's line, correct? The line was scoring, but the other lines weren't, so Housley needed to change things up to try to get more secondary scoring (which obviously didn't work).

So, I'd say it's hard to tell if his production had to do with his "losing his legs" or just utilization.

Now, most NHL players would benefit from being on Eichel's line. I think Pommers doesn't get enough credit for his hockey sense, and I'd like to posit this: Jason has the skill-set and the sense to utilize being on Jack's line more than most. He knows how to let Skinner/Jack do the skating/decoy work, and he finds the soft spots, etc. He may be the perfect complement to them, and he may be able to do it for another couple of years.

However, if we see that he does, indeed, lose his legs, and not be effective, we may see him on the 4th line/press box, making room for Nylander in early 2019. In that case, we'll say- "see ya later- thanks for everything, Jason!"

It would definitely be preferable to have a youngster step up into that spot next season. Pominville has points, he's gone to the net well, picked up a rebound here and there, but isn't the driving force of that line. Jack is currently playing the best hockey he's played with us and now that Skinner is playing great whoever is in that spot will get points as long as he can keep up with the pace. 

Or, sign a free agent like Skinner to take the spot. 

Signing Pomminstein would be a colossal mistake. We can put anyone on a line with Jack and Skinny and they will get points. Younger cheaper faster or if you want old and slow put okposo there since we’re stuck with him. There are youngsters in Rochester that need a look. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freester said:

Signing Pomminstein would be a colossal mistake. We can put anyone on a line with Jack and Skinny and they will get points. Younger cheaper faster or if you want old and slow put okposo there since we’re stuck with him. There are youngsters in Rochester that need a look. 

Yes. Agree.

While Okposo is slower and that contract is a weight for 4 years beyond this one, I'm not completely frustrated by his presence. If we are going to have 1 older vet going forward, Okposo isn't the worst we could do. His role on the team however, will change I suspect as the youngsters from Rochester start to show up en-mass from Rochester in the next year or 2.

Stories like this bring me back to my boyhood hockey fandom from the overly analytical, judgemental, jaded middle-age hockey fan I became.

https://theathletic.com/624461/2018/10/31/as-jason-pominville-prepares-for-his-1000th-nhl-game-teammates-and-coaches-reflect-on-his-legacy/

Good player, good man, good Sabre who appreciates the game. Wore the colours well and I thank him for his service.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Stories like this bring me back to my boyhood hockey fandom from the overly analytical, judgemental, jaded middle-age hockey fan I became.

https://theathletic.com/624461/2018/10/31/as-jason-pominville-prepares-for-his-1000th-nhl-game-teammates-and-coaches-reflect-on-his-legacy/

Good player, good man, good Sabre who appreciates the game. Wore the colours well and I thank him for his service.

I did not read the article, but I really like what you said.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anyone know if the Sabres are planning something for Pommers for his 1000th game? I know it actually comes tonight in Ott, but will they do something at the next home game?

I would assume at the very least a video tribute. I forget why they give out sabres but I think that is for hall of fame or retirement stuff. 

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anyone know if the Sabres are planning something for Pommers for his 1000th game? I know it actually comes tonight in Ott, but will they do something at the next home game?

I think players get a silver stick trophy for playing their 1,000th game from the NHL.  Hopefully the team will do something on Saturday too.

Since the team was founded the Sabres have drafted 11 players to reach the 1000 game mark.  Pommers will be the 12th and Vanek should be the 13th later this season.  

They include Sabres legends Perreault (1191), Craig Ramsay (1070), Mike Ramsey (1070), Housley (1495 NHL games), Andreychuk (1639), and Soupy Campbell (1082). Also Pierre Turgeon (1294) and Caps legend Calle Johansson (I still hate that trade) make the list. 

They also include some surprises, including Brad May (1041), Keith Carney (1018) and long time LA King Sean O'Donnell (1224) who for some reason never earned a call up with the Sabres. 

Others came close including McNab, Fogilin, McGegney, Joe Reekie, Rob Ray, Mogilny and Cory Sarich of all people.

Barrasso (777) and Miller (741) lead our drafted Goalies.

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

6 hours ago, jad1 said:

I think players get a silver stick trophy for playing their 1,000th game from the NHL.  Hopefully the team will do something on Saturday too.

I played this game in my franchise mode last night, and Pommers was awarded a silver stick. I assume something like that will happen tonight. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, LGR4GM said:

Anything over 1 year is too long at this point. If he wants a 1yr 2.5mil deal, sure I could give him that. If he wants a 2-3 year 3mil deal, I'm out. 

I LOVE Jason Pominville and agree with this. He seems like the type that knows where he’s at but this is a business. I don’t think he’d have a robust market regardless.

I have loved his play this year. If he shows he can do this all year I would absolutely welcome him back on a one year deal. I’d give him two years if I knew it was going to be a very cheap deal that’d be easy to bury or release.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

I LOVE Jason Pominville and agree with this. He seems like the type that knows where he’s at but this is a business. I don’t think he’d have a robust market regardless.

I have loved his play this year. If he shows he can do this all year I would absolutely welcome him back on a one year deal. I’d give him two years if I knew it was going to be a very cheap deal that’d be easy to bury or release.

Release? You can't release NHL players. Unless they do something incredibly dumb which seems unlikely with Pommers. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Release? You can't release NHL players. Unless they do something incredibly dumb which seems unlikely with Pommers. 

Yes, you can release them.  You end up still paying them (typically) 2/3 of their remain money owed over twice the remaining contract, but they can be released.  Though officially the term is buyout, the result is the player gets released and becomes an UFA.

With a player Pominville's age, you don't get the reduced payment, because when bought out, they still get 100% of their contracted salary.  (99.9% sure that is still the case under the current CBA; that is how the old CBA worked.)

So, though giving him a 2 year deal w/ a plan to buy him out after 1 season is foolish, it is also possible.  A much better plan is to give him an incentive laden 1 year deal w/ an understanding that if the player doesn't hit a wall that year, another 1 year deal will be offered when negotiation on another deal becomes allowable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.