Re-sign Jason Pominville ?

GASabresIUFAN

Another 2 goals tonight for one on my all time favorite Sabres.  

If we are already re-sigining Skinner, shouldn’t we throw a bone to one of the all-time Sabres who is nearing his 1000th NHL game?

Pommers is now tied with Vanek for 10 th in Sabres history with points at 497. Pommers is 12th in goals with 205 (6 behind Mogilny), 8th in assists with 292 and 10th in games with 670.

He also has 7 pts in 10 games this season.  He is one of veteran leaders in the clubhouse.

• Like (+1) 1

So long as he's up to it and with a modest salary reduction, absolutely.  I think his veteran presence is clearly helpful for the team.  Let him rack up some more stats before he retires...maybe give him another couple of rounds in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another 2 goals tonight for one on my all time favorite Sabres.  

If we are already re-sigining Skinner, shouldn’t we throw a bone to one of the all-time Sabres who is nearing his 1000th NHL game?

Pommers is now tied with Vanek for 10 th in Sabres history with points at 497. Pommers is 12th in goals with 205 (6 behind Mogilny), 8th in assists with 292 and 10th in games with 670.

He also has 7 pts in 10 games this season.  He is one of veteran leaders in the clubhouse.

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

If he'll come back at a reduced salary around $2 mill I'd consider it.

If he doesn't tail off like he did last year AND he'll come back on a 1 year incentive laden deal (he's ~36 yo) with a base somewhere in the $1-2MM range, then sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Pommers is one of my all time favorite Sabres. I own his jersey and I was glad when we brought him back. However, he's currently way overpaid. He's not the player he used to be in the mid 2000s.

However, we're far from having enough depth to replace him. There are a lot of other players I'd want gone well before him. I'd be happy to resign him for cheap for a year, maybe 2 if the cap hit was small enough.

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Let’s keep our pants on here.  We all like Pommer, but he is on his last legs.  Any decision about bringing him back should be made at the end of the season.  It’s not like a bunch of teams are going to be pursuing him.  

There's an outbreak of TMI on this board.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this is an easy one for the Sabres and Pominville.

The Sabres will basically tell Pominville where he fits in the plan and what they'll pay him on a 1 year deal basis.  They'll tell him to search around to see if he can do better and wants to sign elsewhere. 

He's certainly not someone I'm looking to throw off the roster when he can be signed for the right money.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, inkman said:

If he'll come back at a reduced salary around $2 mill I'd consider it.

Yep that would be a good deal I would get behind as long as additional years are optional... 

I also like the idea of keeping that alumni connection going after they retire like a coach gig at the hockey school aka Gionta, Ellis...   

He actually had a better start last year, netting 5 goals and 11 points in the first 10 games.  He went into a funk and then was demoted to 2nd and 3rd lines.  So we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

But he should at least match last years 16g/18a/34p with this years improved talent. The sticking point with him has always been his price tag.  Half the salary and he's a solid value for his production and leadership.

If he's Jack's right wing and produces consistently (he's on pace for 57 points), considering his any-situation ability and veteran determination, it'd be worth it to pay Pommer $4M x 2 years or $3.3M x 3 years.  But if he posts 50+ points, it'd be silly to think we'll retain him at $2M, unless he really really wants to stay.

If he does not perform at that level, then he should not be retained at that level.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

6 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

If he's Jack's right wing and produces consistently (he's on pace for 57 points), considering his any-situation ability and veteran determination, it'd be worth it to pay Pommer $4M x 2 years or $3.3M x 3 years.  But if he posts 50+ points, it'd be silly to think we'll retain him at $2M, unless he really really wants to stay.

If he does not perform at that level, then he should not be retained at that level.

Very good take, but what happened to the Battleship?  Did someone sink your Battleship?

14 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

3 years????!!!!

Love the optimism, but...

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

3 years????!!!!

Love the optimism, but...

If Botterill gives Pominville a 3 year extension he should be fired on the spot (regardless of team record). We need to let him walk/retire at the end of the season so we can make room for some of the guys in Rochester who have earned a spot on the team. If they insist on re-signing them, it needs to be a 1 year deal.

I stand by it.  Pommer hasn't missed more than seven games in any season.  His point production changes with his teammates/usage, but he's produced consistent rates of CF/60, SF/60, FF/60, HDCF/60 throughout the past five years with no sign of slowing.  Barring fluke injury, he'll be an effective forward in some capacity for three years.

Also, NHL Age Curves:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/03/23/a-new-look-at-aging-curves-for-nhl-skaters-part-1/

40 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That was the USS Little Rock at sail, for trying to get this team moving after the EA Sports NHL 15 tank cover avatar.

I had this avatar before and I missed having its subtle visual humor.

Now I'm staring at your avatar looking for the joke

Image result for mallrats painting gif

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.