Suspicious Packages Shipped To Clintons, Obamas, and Time Warner

WildCard

CNN, George Soros... yeah..

This is lunacy that's been spreading.  The incendiary language being used by both sides knowing that it will lead to certain people taking these kinds of insane actions.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Well, this just got personal:  They found one in the building my girlfriend works in.

Ugh...

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

Political stunt by one side or the other to increase voter turnout? Possible?

I think "stunt" might be a tame word here.  It could certainly be timed to illicit a certain reaction in the voter base.  Lots of potential theories which is why I mentioned in the other thread that more investigation is needed.

It could be setting the stage to actually decrease voter turn out as well.  Imagine the next wave mentioning that devices might be randomly showing up at election locations and you've got a full on panic ensuing where people are afraid to vote.

This is some serious crap. We're entering into the kind of crap that only happened in countries that were full on politically destabilized.  If it turns out to be the actions of a single lunatic I'll feel slightly better but if there's any kind of coordinated effort behind this it might be the last straw of me moving on out.... of the US.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Ugh...

I think "stunt" might be a tame word here.  It could certainly be timed to illicit a certain reaction in the voter base.  Lots of potential theories which is why I mentioned in the other thread that more investigation is needed.

It could be setting the stage to actually decrease voter turn out as well.  Imagine the next wave mentioning that devices might be randomly showing up at election locations and you've got a full on panic ensuing where people are afraid to vote.

This is some serious crap. We're entering into the kind of crap that only happened in countries that were full on politically destabilized.  If it turns out to be the actions of a single lunatic I'll feel slightly better but if there's any kind of coordinated effort behind this it might be the last straw of me moving on out.... of the US.

Genuinely curious, where are you considering moving to? At different points in my life I've considered (and the wife, when applicable) Germany, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize, Australia and the Philippines. 

Sadly, I've not had the benefit of traveling much internationally.  I have been to Costa Rica.  I love Costa Rica.  I would seriously consider it.

I would also consider several Scandinavian countries... but of course I need to research it a bit more than I have and i would prefer to at least visit a few times.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

Sadly, I've not had the benefit of traveling much internationally.  I have been to Costa Rica.  I love Costa Rica.  I would seriously consider it.

I would also consider several Scandinavian countries... but of course I need to research it a bit more than I have and i would prefer to at least visit a few times.

If English is the only language you speak and that will impact your decision, Belize is an English speaking nation. It's similar to Costa Rica and the cost of living is cheap. 

I think what we've decided on is when the grandkids are a bit older and our youngest son doesn't need us anymore we'll take extended 6-12 month vacations. There's decent countries where we can live like a king off of my pension, but she doesn't want to commit to anywhere without an extended stay. I guess that's the smart thing to do, but I can't wait to get started. 

So hateful rhetoric for 2 full years convinced some nutjob that these people were evil... and let me guess no one is going to take responsibility for that hateful rhetoric. Glad no one was hurt but we've reached the edge and are leaning over staring into the abyss at this point. Let's hope we don't fall. 

20 hours ago, Hank said:

If English is the only language you speak and that will impact your decision, Belize is an English speaking nation. It's similar to Costa Rica and the cost of living is cheap. 

I am very familiar with Spanish.  I would be rusty now, but I had 7 years of it throughout middle school and college.

19 hours ago, Hank said:

I think what we've decided on is when the grandkids are a bit older and our youngest son doesn't need us anymore we'll take extended 6-12 month vacations. There's decent countries where we can live like a king off of my pension, but she doesn't want to commit to anywhere without an extended stay. I guess that's the smart thing to do, but I can't wait to get started. 

A sound strategy.

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Gf is ok.  I mean, as far as the pipe bombs go.

That's good news.  Hopefully it's not too impacting mentally.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So hateful rhetoric for 2 full years convinced some nutjob that these people were evil... and let me guess no one is going to take responsibility for that hateful rhetoric. Glad no one was hurt but we've reached the edge and are leaning over staring into the abyss at this point. Let's hope we don't fall. 

I've already seen a lot of more right leaning people claiming it was a false flag operation and fake news/set up conspiracy. All the conspiracy theorists and meme makers have been having a ball with it.  It's just very loud on the internet right now.

I'm so tired of it all. Yesterday legit made me feel unsettled- I haven't felt that unsettled since Charlottesville. I mean, I've been pretty unsettled since the Tea Party really got going and Palin was a legit option for vice president but... my personal richter scale is kinda out of whack nowadays. 

On 10/24/2018 at 3:42 PM, LTS said:

The United States has had a marked and definite shift away from being a stable democracy.

The issue was treated with some seriousness here:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war

And, really. The fact that we are living in a country where a significant portion of the electorate, possibly a majority, operates in post-factual/a-factual manners -- I'm not sure where else we could be as a nation. (I would note here: I think there are people of various inclinations and persuasions who operate in this way, although I think the largest contingent are the disaffected white voters who support Trump regardless of what he says or does.)

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The United States has had a marked and definite shift away from being a stable democracy.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/is-america-headed-for-a-new-kind-of-civil-war

And, really. The fact that we are living in a country where a significant portion of the electorate, possibly a majority, operates in post-factual/a-factual manners -- I'm not sure where else we could be as a nation. (I would note here: I think there are people of various inclinations and persuasions who operate in this way, although I think the largest contingent are the disaffected white voters who support Trump regardless of what he says or does.)

I am amazed on a nearly daily basis how we as a people have turned our backs to science.  Whether it is vaccinations, global warming, or Lake Ontario salmon populations, we have become a people that do not trust scientific data when it counters what we want to be true.  I don't remember us being like this 20 years ago.,

And now it has evolved into adopting obvious political untruths as truisms and conspiracies instead of straightforward, obvious explanations. 

And the media is getting pinned as fake news.  Holy actual fudge.  How did we get here, and can I get off the ride and walk back home?

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks for the link.  I feel like I read that article back when it came out as so much of it seemed familiar but it was good to revisit it (unless I hadn't read it and just read something similar).  In either event, I agree with it.

14 hours ago, Weave said:

I am amazed on a nearly daily basis how we as a people have turned our backs to science.  Whether it is vaccinations, global warming, or Lake Ontario salmon populations, we have become a people that do not trust scientific data when it counters what we want to be true.  I don't remember us being like this 20 years ago.,

And now it has evolved into adopting obvious political untruths as truisms and conspiracies instead of straightforward, obvious explanations. 

And the media is getting pinned as fake news.  Holy actual fudge.  How did we get here, and can I get off the ride and walk back home?

My personal opinion is that our education system has been engaged in a policy of dumbing down the population such that we are no longer taught to think critically but just to learn information and regurgitate it without thinking.  The questions surrounding what companies like Pearson do with the data they receive along with how they create standardized tests and books for education concern me greatly.

A population that is trained not to think will be easier to control.  Raising two kids over the past 14 years I have had nothing but disdain for the overall trend in public education. Kids are not trained on how to analyze situations and solve problems. I have been working hard to teach my kids problem solving skills they so desperately need.

Yesterday morning, Jeremy White retweeted someone who was mocking another tweeter who posted about the bombs.  In it the guy spelled rhetoric as redderick. I've seen similar things like this from Democratic and Republican backing people.  It's easy to mock someone like that but what purpose does it serve?  Do we need to antagonize someone who is clearly undereducated?  We should be disgusted that we've failed to educate our citizens.  The less educated people are the easier they are to control.  It doesn't take a master degree to pull the trigger of a gun or to mail some bombs.  In fact, it might be harder to get someone like that to do it.  But if you go out and find those who dropped out of school at 12... well they're a lot easier to influence and incite.

We're in for a rough ride, but if we don't get back to enforcing a higher level of education and helping those who are prone to dropping out of school get educated it will only get worse. We don't need to teach people to be the next Nobel prize physicist, but we do need to teach them necessarily life skills.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LTS said:

The less educated people are the easier they are to control.  It doesn't take a master degree to pull the trigger of a gun or to mail some bombs.  In fact, it might be harder to get someone like that to do it.  But if you go out and find those who dropped out of school at 12... well they're a lot easier to influence and incite.

Good post.

Generally, I agree with ^ this ^ sentiment specifically, but then I always get tripped up on the fact that many men who've been radicalized in the name of Islam are highly educated.

It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it's fair to say that being less educated makes it easier to radicalize people.

There is certainly a problem with people who are being educated while also being subjected to an institutionalized radical cause or being a racist or something similar.  If their education only reinforces that way of thinking it's unlikely they will question their ideals. 

A Florida man is in custody as the alleged "MAGAbomber". He has a van covered in alt-right pro Trump memes, you know the sort- Hillary's head in crosshairs, trump on a tank with fireworks, badges like "native americans for trump". So yeah, all the people screaming false flag are very quiet today. The cries of the "demoncRATS DID IT!" are now replaced with oh, he was a lunatic fringe lone wolf anomaly. Just another super radicalized dude believing in the dumb memes and extremist bullsh!t. 

I've been saying for years that this all started with Larry the Cable Guy making stupid "cool". Swaths of this population took his character as representative and red state politicians have been more than happy to slash education funding to make their redneck dreams come true. Are you poor and stupid? Let's celebrate and monetize that! It's okay to be anti-intellectual! Git er dun!