Practice Report: Wednesday, 10-24-2018

WildCard

3 minutes ago, N S said:

What the heck is he doing with lines 2 and 3?

That reporter just has the lines all backwards, if that's what you're wondering; if you noticed she does the same for the d-pairings. As far as the traditional 1-4th lines go, it's still: Eichel, Sobotka, Mitts, Larsson

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

That reporter just has the lines all backwards, if that's what you're wondering; if you noticed she does the same for the d-pairings. As far as the traditional 1-4th lines go, it's still: Eichel, Sobotka, Mitts, Larsson

That's some juicy center depth 

Jack, staying healthy is the most important thing you could do

Edited by Randall Flagg

Wowie F-bombing the troops.

So there's a narrative that says he's soft..  Fact or fiction ? 

Fact; I saw him play back in the day for Sabres and for that era and what was allowed he was marshmallow soft when it came to physical game, his game was finesse. 

Fact; My youngest son f-bombing at home to my dismay when rebuked told me that's so I know he's serious about the discussion...... Does that work? 

31 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Wowie F-bombing the troops.

So there's a narrative that says he's soft..  Fact or fiction ? 

Fact; I saw him play back in the day for Sabres and for that era and what was allowed he was marshmallow soft when it came to physical game, his game was finesse. 

Fact; My youngest son f-bombing at home to my dismay when rebuked told me that's so I know he's serious about the discussion...... Does that work? 

I've never understood how the Housley-coaches-soft narrative came over from his supposed playing style. All evidence suggests he has rigorous practices and is pretty hard on these guys 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm glad Housley does that, if they think they can relax after two victories 

Who says they were relaxing?  He may be trying to bring them up to a whole other level.  The last two games were good, but not good enough to be a solid playoff contender.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've never understood how the Housley-coaches-soft narrative came over from his supposed playing style. All evidence suggests he has rigorous practices and is pretty hard on these guys 

I assume it also comes from his bench and interview demeanor which always is measured and in control which is not to say it is not effective.

In fact if he is not the typical coach that swears like a sailor Wild card describes I would postulate a precise and measured use of an expletive approach outside your typical daily demeanor definitely gets your attention and is a take notice to the players. How he follows through with the reward or discipline when action doesn't follow reinforces the effect.         

Edited by R_Dudley
  • Like (+1) 1

When Housley took over as coach prior to last season, it was expected that offense from the blue line would be a hallmark of the Sabres' game. Housley coached a prolific defense in Nashville and was dynamic on the back end during his own Hall of Fame career.

It took until Dec. 5 of last season for a Sabres defenseman to find the back of the net, but this year has been a different story. The Sabres have six goals from six different defensemen, tied for fifth in the NHL. Ottawa leads the league with 10 goals by defensemen. 

"[We're] just executing better," McCabe said. "Everyone's contributing on the back end, everyone can skate well on the back end, no matter who's playing that night. We're all playing good minutes and everyone's getting in the game."

It's not as if all their goals are coming off the rush. McCabe scored from the half-wall, as did Zach Bogosian. Nathan Beaulieu, Rasmus Ristolainen and Marco Scandella all scored on shots from the point. Rasmus Dahlin crashed the net and buried a rebound.

"I think a lot of this has to do with the forwards going to the net front and taking the goalie's eyes away," Housley said. "But I like the way they've added to the rush. They've complemented our rush game out of the offensive zone."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-practice-report-jake-mccabe-zemgus-girgensons/c-301245938

This is actually the perfect time to light up his guys.  You can't keep beating a team once it's down, you'll kill morale.  An effective coach can yell at a team after a loss only once in a while to try to reset or rewire their heads, otherwise his constant hardcore berating goes stale and he'll lose the team.

But if the team is winning, a coach can push them harder and faster because the wins will give the players the confidence and will to perform and endure.  The coach can then keep raising the expectations to get them to continue elevate their game.

After a big weekend in SoCal, this is Housley raising the expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

I assume it also comes from his bench and interview demeanor which always is measured and in control which is not to say it is not effective.

In fact if he is not the typical coach that swears like a sailor Wild card describes I would postulate a precise and measured use of an expletive approach outside your typical daily demeanor definitely gets your attention and is a take notice to the players. How he follows through with the reward or discipline when action doesn't follow reinforces the effect.         

Still think he's too soft.

That said, I'm happy to see he has a sense of urgency.

2 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Right, the players don't sit and watch his bench and interview demeanor. They deal with him in practice and behind closed doors in the locker room, which from all indications has not been "soft" treatment. 

What coaches actually still do the tired old rah rah interview ranting that doesn't serve any purpose but to satisfy some fans? Torts maybe? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I'm just glad they're practicing, and not goofing off like they did a few weeks ago before getting walloped by the Bruins.

I thought we were past that.

It seems like screamers eventually get tuned out by the players anyway and they lose the room.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.