The Shooty Hoops Thread

Hoss

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I remember when Lebron went right to the NBA from high school.

So do I, because I decided to go straight to the pros too. Too bad the NBA didn't feel the same about me as they did about Darko. I feel I'd have produced much more than him.

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

From the point of view of someone younger than Okposo, who never saw Jordan live, sure.  Anyone over 40? No way.

There are plenty of people over 40 who think LeBron is better. And they’re the ones who are able to let go and see he’s doing things Jordan simply couldn’t. He’s the better athlete, the stronger player, the better rebounder, the better passer and can score in more ways.

Jordan will always have the rings because Jordan landed in a great situation and never had to play a team in the same stratosphere as the Golden State Warriors. The Warriors of the last few years are the greatest team ever assembled. That’s not a generational thing, it’s something I’ve seen echoed across all ages.

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There are plenty of people over 40 who think LeBron is better. And they’re the ones who are able to let go and see he’s doing things Jordan simply couldn’t. He’s the better athlete, the stronger player, the better rebounder, the better passer and can score in more ways.

Jordan will always have the rings because Jordan landed in a great situation and never had to play a team in the same stratosphere as the Golden State Warriors. The Warriors of the last few years are the greatest team ever assembled. That’s not a generational thing, it’s something I’ve seen echoed across all ages.

The problem is the game is different. LeBron wouldn't be able to do all of those things back then 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The problem is the game is different. LeBron wouldn't be able to do all of those things back then 

Games change every now and then so it’s essnetially pointless to use that as a discussion point. Can’t compare anyone with that attitude. There are things MJ could do defensively that made him “great” that he can’t do now. LeBron would still be able to bully people to the rim back in the day. Sure, there were a bunch of big dumb idiots at the rim back then but LeBron is still stronger than 90% of them. They both played games that would’ve let them be superstars in any era and their development also would’ve changed in different eras.

The legitimate only knock on LeBron’s entire game is free throw shooting which is just something some big guys simply can’t do no matter how hard they try.

Now where do they slot into this Sabres lineup?

26 minutes ago, WildCard said:

As someone who has watched them both, its a tough call. MJ's creativity and scoring ability can't be matched but LeBron's athleticism is unriveled. He does things no one else can't. Jordan mastered his craft with unrileved athleticism, LeBron trumped that athletically but has not taken it to the next level like MJ. 

I've seen both play, extensively.    Jordan was doing things nobody else was doing at the time.    LeBron is a better natural athlete, but not as creative as Jordan was.    

P.S. - these arguments about who is better are dumb IMO.   One doesn't have to be better than the other.    They're both generational players, why can't they just both be great, each better than the other at certain aspects of the game.       A better discussion to have would be to argue specifics... who was the better defender one-on-one?   Who was the better free throw shooting?  Three point shooter?   Who was quicker?   Who was more creative?   Who was stronger?  Who was more clutch in pressure situations? etc..   But to just come out and say "This guy is better than that guy" is just being ignorant and disrespectful to the game.    

Edited by pi2000

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Games change every now and then so it’s essnetially pointless to use that as a discussion point. Can’t compare anyone with that attitude. There are things MJ could do defensively that made him “great” that he can’t do now. LeBron would still be able to bully people to the rim back in the day. Sure, there were a bunch of big dumb idiots at the rim back then but LeBron is still stronger than 90% of them. They both played games that would’ve let them be superstars in any era and their development also would’ve changed in different eras.

The legitimate only knock on LeBron’s entire game is free throw shooting which is just something some big guys simply can’t do no matter how hard they try.

Now where do they slot into this Sabres lineup?

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

As someone who has watched them both, its a tough call. MJ's creativity and scoring ability can't be matched but LeBron's athleticism is unriveled. He does things no one else can't. Jordan mastered his craft with unrileved athleticism, LeBron trumped that athletically but has not taken it to the next level like MJ. 

I don't really watch the NBA anymore, but I'd love to see James try his stuff against the 90s defenses.  He'd be bruised as hell, if the Pistons didn't kill him first.

Jordan was the better scorer, the better shooter and the better defender.  He was also more clutch, more determined and more competitive.  The idea of him losing in the finals to an inferior team, like Lebron and the Heat lost to Dallas, was simply inconceivable.  The idea of his team being a bottom-echelon defensive team, like Cleveland was last year and the Lakers appear to be this year, was also inconceivable. 

I also don't agree that Lebron is the better athlete.  He's bigger and stronger, but Jordan was quicker and a better leaper.

Finally, although I admire Lebron, and think he's probably a better guy to hang out with than Jordan was, there is something about him that other great players seem to find off-putting.  No one ever left Jordan the way Kyrie left Lebron, and it looks like Butler and Leonard aren't interested in playing with Lebron either.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, sabills said:

I'm 32 and I have no idea who that is. The Braves are basically a myth to me.

John Y Brown, former owner of KFC and Governor of Kentucky bought the Braves from Dan Snyder (Darien Lake developer) and proceeded to destroy the team.  Sold McAdoo to the Lakers to help re-coop the franchise cost.  In 1976 the Braves drafted Adrian Dantley and acquired Moses Malone (yes, that Moses Malone).  However our stupid GM and then traded Malone to the Rockets for 2 1st rd picks.  

In 1978 Brown swapped the Braves to California business man Irv Levin for the Boston Celtics.  Levin then moved the Braves to San Diego and they became the clippers.

Had our management been smart, the Braves would have had a core of Dantley, Malone, McAdoo, and All-stars Randy Smith and Bob Kauffman.  Dumb.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.