Practice Report: 10-23-2018

WildCard

19 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Rodrigues has definitely earned a bump up from line 4 duty.

My question ( mildly fascetious): should Okposo get injured, does Mittelstadt sit in the press box with him as well? Pretty sure that has been the 1 F combo that has been consistent all 9 games to date.

I'm fine w/ those lines PROVIDED that when Pominville runs out of gas w/in the next 5-15 games, that Housley doesn't overextend his stay on the top line by more than 2 games beyond that point.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

Thompson sent down yet?   What are they waiting for? 

I've been clamoring for Larsson and Girgenson to be moved out but they're good at killing penalties (for the last two games anyway).    But not sure that ability alone deserves a roster spot (these guys simply cannot score).      You would hope they could find somebody with those same PK skills who can score 10-15g.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Rodrigues has definitely earned a bump up from line 4 duty.

My question ( mildly fascetious): should Okposo get injured, does Mittelstadt sit in the press box with him as well? Pretty sure that has been the 1 F combo that has been consistent all 9 games to date.

I'm fine w/ those lines PROVIDED that when Pominville runs out of gas w/in the next 5-15 games, that Housley doesn't overextend his stay on the top line by more than 2 games beyond that point.

why not scratch him for a game then and let thompson play.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

why not scratch him for a game then and let thompson play.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Pominville has been better. If playing better is the philosophy you can't sit a guy for that. 

I think Huck meant that if Pominville runs out of gas, give him a game off and let Thompson play.

• Like (+1) 1

What I like about 28-22-10 is that it's now Phil's defensive go-to, rather than having 3 players he likes defensively on different lines and thus constantly splitting them up and mish-mashing things together for defensive zone draws, creating havoc- if it worked and we got the puck back everything was disrupted by needing to change the second we got it out. That annoyed the crap out of me and put all the focus on the wrong end of the ice considering what we needed to figure out at the time (how to score). Now he can just roll them like he did all game in LA/Anaheim. It's better for every player involved.

Tuesday's practice
Beaulieu was back on the ice for the first time since he sustained an injury on a blocked shot in San Jose. The defenseman said he feels close to being game-ready. 

"[I feel] good," he said. "Obviously a little sore from that shot, but today's actually the first day I've skated in four days, so it basically feels pretty close to where it needs to be for me to get out there."

The Sabres held a skills-based practice coached by former forward Matt Ellis and his staff at the Academy of Hockey. They'll practice again at Harborcenter on Wednesday in preparation of their matchup with the Montreal Canadiens at KeyBank Center on Thursday.

"Matty Ellis, he's doing a great job with the program over there," Beaulieu said. "I got to skate with him before the season for about a week. He works on a lot of stuff that you work on during the summer and kind of forget about during the winter, so it's nice to have this in our schedule where we can kind of sit back for a day. It was an emotional road trip. You just kind of get your feet and your hands back. I thought it was a really good day and I thought we managed it really well."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-practice-report-zach-bogosian/c-301206126

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

He works on a lot of stuff that you work on during the summer and kind of forget about during the winter, so it's nice to have this in our schedule where we can kind of sit back for a day.

I think it's good that they're going back to basics during the season.  An excellent idea, in fact.

55 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Matt Ellis coaching skills. Damn. 

On the other hand.... The Matt Ellis of Coaching

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.