Has Jack found 1 of his long term solutions at wing, Jeff Skinner

Scottysabres

Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call

• Move him at the deadline
    • re-sign him

The more my mind wanders around this issue, I can not see Skinner being more of a money-only guy.  I think he has a value that he believes he's worth and that's what he's after, and I think the Sabres would be willing to pay that.  With so much emotion/intensity in his game, there is no way he'd be happy JUST taking money over being satisfied with his partners and the team as a whole.  No way.  

In fact, I think that's a bigger factor for him than the collective here is giving him credit for.  If the trend continues with that top line, it's not likely he'll easily find a replacement for that chemistry and production.  Let's remember Skinner identified Eichel as someone he wanted to try partnering with.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't want them to offer him 8 years. 

He'd turn 35 in May of the final 8th year. I don't know, if he wants 8, and he's only 35 at the end of that 8, I give it to him personally. A bit of risk? Sure, but minimally larger than 7 years. If he's willing to ink 7 - 8 for 8 yrs, I would have no problem, as of today, inking that deal.

Craig Custance did speak with a source close to Skinner about a contract extension and the response was its very, very early. 

One advantage that the Sabres have and also one of the main reasons that Skinner waived his NMC to come to Buffalo is his relationship with Steve Smith. 

His fit into the Sabres Locker will go along way to determining if he decides to stay. He is a bit of an introvert who at times keeps to himself, which made him a target for Justin Williams. The Canes Room split under Bill Peters last year and conditions much like in Buffalo deteriorated quickly. Skinner wanted a change of scenery once Brindamour became HC and it was obvious that the Canes Leadership Group would be centered around Williams. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, in 8 season as a pro, Skinner has never exceeded 63 points. Vanek did it 4 of his first 8 years. Skinner's career points-per-game average is 0.66, whereas Vanek's is 0.78. Skinner has traditionally had better possession metrics and is certainly the better player right now, but comparing him to Vanek in his prime is a whole 'nother animal.

58 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/average-goals-scored-per-game-in-the-nhl.aspx

05-06 for sure, but that wasn't one of Vanek's >63 point seasons. Vanek's second best season (rated purely by raw points, because I don't have time for more thorough analysis) was in 2010-11 with 73 points, and the average team was scoring 2.73 goals per game. That 2.73 goals per game was the same as in 2016-17, when you guessed it, Jeff Skinner had....*drum roll*.....63 points. Vanek was in his 6th season and Skinner in his 7th, respectively, so it's not like Vanek was a more developed hockey player.

Again, Skinner's possession metrics have been better, and I wouldn't be surprised if his even strength scoring rates were better. I'm just saying, it's not clear on the surface that Skinner is better.

Good analysis.  You are correct that Skinner scores more ES goals, but Vanek's total scoring numbers are higher.

Of course, the numbers don't capture the "get him TF out of here" reaction that Vanek's coaches and GMs have all had since Vanek left Buffalo, or Skinner's speed, or my exuberance after those 2 wins this weekend.  So there's that.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, ... said:

The more my mind wanders around this issue, I can not see Skinner being more of a money-only guy.  I think he has a value that he believes he's worth and that's what he's after, and I think the Sabres would be willing to pay that.  With so much emotion/intensity in his game, there is no way he'd be happy JUST taking money over being satisfied with his partners and the team as a whole.  No way.  

In fact, I think that's a bigger factor for him than the collective here is giving him credit for.  If the trend continues with that top line, it's not likely he'll easily find a replacement for that chemistry and production.  Let's remember Skinner identified Eichel as someone he wanted to try partnering with.

There is probably some truth in this, but no one should kid himself that the Sabres will be able to get him on a 5-year deal.  It will take at least 7, as that is what everyone else can offer him.

However, if he and Eichel are lighting it up and the Sabres offer him Kane's 7x7 deal in January, I can see him taking it rather than waiting to shop around in FA.

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

He'd turn 35 in May of the final 8th year. I don't know, if he wants 8, and he's only 35 at the end of that 8, I give it to him personally. A bit of risk? Sure, but minimally larger than 7 years. If he's willing to ink 7 - 8 for 8 yrs, I would have no problem, as of today, inking that deal.

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per the CBA they cannot offer an Eight Year Deal until after the trade deadline 

Interesting.  So that means he'd need to forego the 8th year in order to sign an extension here before the deadline.

Long term contracts don’t scare me when they are offered to guys that can skate like Skinner.  The inevitable dropoff puts them at average to above average.  We’re not talking Moulson/Okposo here.  This is more like the decline Recchi or Gartner saw.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There is probably some truth in this, but no one should kid himself that the Sabres will be able to get him on a 5-year deal.  It will take at least 7, as that is what everyone else can offer him.

However, if he and Eichel are lighting it up and the Sabres offer him Kane's 7x7 deal in January, I can see him taking it rather than waiting to shop around in FA.

Interesting.  So that means he'd need to forego the 8th year in order to sign an extension here before the deadline.

This maybe the reason why no Karlsson Extension has been signed either 

45 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

There's no way in hell I would give him 8years. 

I always knew Skinner was a good goal scored, but only watched him when he played against the Sabres.  Having watched him for 9 games now, I am very impressed with his grit, determination, puck handling, and especially his skating.  He has wowed me may times already in this young season.

You don't let players like this leave your organization.

Okposo is too slow for the NHL anymore.  He's a boat anchor hanging around JBOT's neck.

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

He could have been. He very nearly won a Cup in Vegas last year.

Maybe Pittsburgh would have won more Cups with him than with Hornqvist and Spaling... 

Not finished reading the thread but couldn't help respond.

Living in Pgh the main reason was cap related,  with Crosby, Malkin,  Letang, Kessel and needing to sigh Murray and still field a team some choices had to be made. Same reason they could't also keep Fluery although he is a pretty darn good goalie. Oh that and he(neal)  was noted be a bit of a Richard as far as team bonding goes...  

Edited by R_Dudley
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Not finished reading the thread but couldn't help respond.

Living in Pgh the main reason was cap related,  with Crosby, Malkin,  Letang, Kessel and needing to sigh Murray and still field a team some chocies had to be made. Same reason they could't also keep Fluery although he is a pretty darn good goalie. Oh that and he was noted be a bit of a Richard as far as team bonding goes...  

Yeh doubt that would go over well with Sydney being a Cindy... 

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

That transition is reminiscent of the Drury/Briere days. How fitting that Pommers was on the ice during it.

Yeah watching that there you can just the burst of speed through the middle with a perfect tape to tape pass from Pommer... 

Nice to see the team actually doing more tape to tape passing vs the previous keystone cops antics of in front, behind or in the skates.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.