Has Jack found 1 of his long term solutions at wing, Jeff Skinner

Scottysabres

Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or deadline trade, you make the call

• Move him at the deadline
    • re-sign him

IF Skinner will agree to an 8yr deal at a lower AAV than for a 7yr deal, would definitely consider arranging for 1 if he and Eichel still seem to mesh come 1/1/19.  (Realizing it's a gentlemen's agreement until TDD.)

He'd be overpaid relative to cap hit the last 3 years, but would likely still be productive at least in a Bobby Carpenter type way unless he's just getting creamed due to his small stature.  (Of course, BF-LTIR becomes an optionin that scenario, at least w/ current CBA rules.)

Too early to decide for certain, but it sure would be nice to actually keep a GOOD UFA for essentially the 1st time this century.  Kind of thought that was a thing the Pegulas would be bringing in rather than "suffering."  Ooooops.

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres do sign Skinner to an 8 year Extension, my only request is that we somehow get a live lookin to @TrueBlueGED Reaction. 

Some people just want to watch the world burn ?

53 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I lol'd, but I think I lack the requisite background for really getting the joke. Not a fan?

I. Hate. Jeff. Skinner. 

59 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I lol'd, but I think I lack the requisite background for really getting the joke. Not a fan?

There were lots of board conversations about Skinner before we ever were even hinted at trading for him. I would always butt in to talk about how drool-worthy his skating is, and True was always the most prominent "I f*cking hate Jeff Skinner" voice on the board. I'm pretty sure WildCard didn't like him either, and others had well-known takes, but it was a fairly regular talking point, to the tune of 3-4 times per season 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

There were lots of board conversations about Skinner before we ever were even hinted at trading for him. I would always butt in to talk about how drool-worthy his skating is, and True was always the most prominent "I f*cking hate Jeff Skinner" voice on the board. I'm pretty sure WildCard didn't like him either, but it was a fairly regular talking point, to the tune of 3-4 times per season 

I wasn't a fan of him either, no. Though I can't remember why now

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn ?

I. Hate. Jeff. Skinner. 

Interesting.

Come, sit with me for a bit. Tell me.......where did this all start?

Tell me, if he nets 40+ this season as Jack's LW'er, will you still hear the cries of the lambs?

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There were lots of board conversations about Skinner before we ever were even hinted at trading for him. I would always butt in to talk about how drool-worthy his skating is, and True was always the most prominent "I f*cking hate Jeff Skinner" voice on the board. I'm pretty sure WildCard didn't like him either, and others had well-known takes, but it was a fairly regular talking point, to the tune of 3-4 times per season 

It really is remarkable.  He's fast, he's quick in tight spaces and his balance is amazing.  He can go backward, sideways and other directions in a smooth and quick manner. 

3 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

John Tavarez made Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo. Now that they are separated, they are trash. Jeff Skinner made himself. He is capable of 25-30 goal and 70-80 points all by himself. Put him with Eichel or Reinhart and he's capable of 40 goals and 90 points. 

To be fair, Kyle mostly played with Nielsen, at least in his last year (64 points) on the Island. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that needs to be talked about is concussions. Jeff has had a few. He's had 4-5 healthy years since then, but I think with concussions the threat is always there, and the ease with which new ones happen doesn't lessen as time goes on. That could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't vote. To early for me to vote either way. I do think his type of offensive abilities don't grow on trees. Eventually it ,as usually is the case, comes down to money and does he fit in with teammates. Don't know that he wants to be here in which case nothing else will matter.

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

John Tavarez made Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo. Now that they are separated, they are trash. Jeff Skinner made himself. He is capable of 25-30 goal and 70-80 points all by himself. Put him with Eichel or Reinhart and he's capable of 40 goals and 90 points. 

If true, kinda weird how he's never scored more than 63.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Could be true! 

Then again, it could be the elevated talent around him, or the increased adrenaline knowing he's a part of something bigger than himself, driving him to perform feats of wonder, or the non sugar pop tarts he's picked up here in WNY he's been eating in the morning...……... 

6 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Relax, everybody  - it's early yet! Remember when Drew Stafford had runs like this and we all thought he was the next big thing?

Ummm, no, Stafford is no Skinner. There really isn't a comparison here. Skinner has a much larger and refined tool box when compared with Stafford.

But yes, this is merely an early season conversation, as stated in the OP, as to where fans thoughts are early on.

Just think, a few days ago we were seeing threads on how long do we give JBots & Housley b4 we fire them. Now we're getting threads on handing out long term contract extensions. What a difference a couple wins make huh?

Instead of throwing out a term for Skinner i'll simply say that if JBots believes he'll be an important part of our team moving forward, he'll put a solid offer out there & get er done. I'm sure Skinner playing great was the hope going into bringing him here & that an extension was something already considered. Hopefully this is just the beginning & that line turns it up even more.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Interesting.

Come, sit with me for a bit. Tell me.......where did this all start?

Tell me, if he nets 40+ this season as Jack's LW'er, will you still hear the cries of the lambs?

Don't ask him to change - I still haven't gotten over my displeasure with King Kong Korab and, by many accounts, he was a very good, effective player for the Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.