Ullmark vs Hutton

Coach55

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Indeed. Thoughts and prayers (retrospectively).

Hasn't anybody googled this yet?

Yeah, and?

It appears to be something that would be hard to detect. It's hard to blame anyone for not having diagnosed it right away. The symptoms might not have presented as something obvious. Hutton might have just thought he was fatigued, or maybe not mentally focused.

The concern is that after they "discovered" it in January he still played 15 more games and went 6-8-0.

Could they not have put him on IR? Is there no way to evaluate this or treat it as an injury where the player shouldn't be playing?

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yeah, and?

It appears to be something that would be hard to detect. It's hard to blame anyone for not having diagnosed it right away. The symptoms might not have presented as something obvious. Hutton might have just thought he was fatigued, or maybe not mentally focused.

The concern is that after they "discovered" it in January he still played 15 more games and went 6-8-0.

Could they not have put him on IR? Is there no way to evaluate this or treat it as an injury where the player shouldn't be playing?

I think they were stuck with him come what may last year. Johannson obviously wasn't ready. 

I wonder why it spontaneously appeared in November at age 33. October, he was fine.

My guess would be Bales in near exasperation said, "Dude, go get your eyes checked" and the exam found something he's probably had since childhood.

But if "rehabbing" it makes him more confident, that's good. Goalies are weird. Not breaking news.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think they were stuck with him come what may last year. Johannson obviously wasn't ready. 

they could have made a trade? there is no excuse. If your goalie is literally the worst goalie in the league for a 4 month period and has told you that he has vision issues, you need to find another goalie.  if he didn't say anything, but knew there was an issue. you waive him and remove him from the organization.

39 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

they could have made a trade? there is no excuse. If your goalie is literally the worst goalie in the league for a 4 month period and has told you that he has vision issues, you need to find another goalie.  if he didn't say anything, but knew there was an issue. you waive him and remove him from the organization.

What would you do now? 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

What would you do now? 

Maintain the original plan to sign a UFA to pair up with Ullmark but would be very ready to BF-LTIR Hutton if this eye thing doesn't improve to allow him to avoid the A and to save some working room under the cap this season.

If the eye thing clears up, hope Carter likes Ra-cha-cha and should he regain October's form, they have 3 useful goalies (almost like the good old days) & if not, well hope he likes Ra-cha-cha.  He can duke it out w/ UPL & Johansson for injury call up should that be necessary.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Maintain the original plan to sign a UFA to pair up with Ullmark but would be very ready to BF-LTIR Hutton if this eye thing doesn't improve to allow him to avoid the A and to save some working room under the cap this season.

If the eye thing clears up, hope Carter likes Ra-cha-cha and should he regain October's form, they have 3 useful goalies (almost like the good old days) & if not, well hope he likes Ra-cha-cha.  He can duke it out w/ UPL & Johansson for injury call up should that be necessary.

Especially if they find a guy who is reasonably priced, a steady backup and will sing for a few years. Jbott has no choice but to sign another goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I was going to say it's in Hutton's interest to get his eye story out to convince the Sabres they don't need to sign a UFA, but that doesn't make sense. The Sabres already knew about it. Who are Hutton and his agent communicating with by getting this story out? (Lance Lysowski billed the story as an "exclusive," so I guess there's always a chance Lance got wind of it, worked his sources, confirmed the story and told Hutton and his agent he had the story and asked for comment.)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I was going to say it's in Hutton's interest to get his eye story out to convince the Sabres they don't need to sign a UFA, but that doesn't make sense. The Sabres already knew about it. Who are Hutton and his agent communicating with by getting this story out? (Lance Lysowski billed the story as an "exclusive," so I guess there's always a chance Lance got wind of it, worked his sources, confirmed the story and told Hutton and his agent he had the story and asked for comment.)

The rest of the team? The players in interviews last season were saying, "Yes, we have a whole bunch of confidence in Linus." Seemed to me they were also saying who they did not have confidence in 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Especially if they find a guy who is reasonably priced, a steady backup and will sing for a few years. Jbott has no choice but to sign another goalie.

12 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I haven't read the actual story.

Does it mention who knew what and when?

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe Hutton's agent leaked the story to Lance, knowing that Carters at risk of getting  his contract bought out.  Maybe getting the story out there helps with interest from other teams if he is let go.    Now this would imply that JB has the nuts to actually use one of the tools in his GM belt, which he probably will not. 

• Like (+1) 2

Conspiracy theory:  one of the other Sabres (maybe a fed-up veteran defenseman like McCabe?) found out about it and leaked it in order to pressure JB into bringing in another goalie.

In any case, regardless of the source, I think this increases the pressure on JB to bring in another goalie, which is a good thing.

Let's hope he gets lucky with the FNG.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Conspiracy theory:  one of the other Sabres (maybe a fed-up veteran defenseman like McCabe?) found out about it and leaked it in order to pressure JB into bringing in another goalie.

In any case, regardless of the source, I think this increases the pressure on JB to bring in another goalie, which is a good thing.

Interesting.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would think there are 23 other players who are unhappy with him and would blame him for missing the playoffs yet again.  

I know I would be pissed.  Time for him to go.

I can see him being a great mentor in Rochester but no longer has a spot on the Sabers

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I just don't see real journalism coming out of the Buffalo News sports section. And if it was some kind of scoop, Hutton and his agent could easily have screamed HIPAA.

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Another possibility, jbotts camp leaked it to make fans less mad about going into the season with just Ulmark and Hutton, saying he'll be better now, because he can see.

Oh My God Omg GIF by Hunters

I love a good conspiracy theory and this one is solid.  

@john wawrow please validate how this story got out.  All is forgiven if you can get to the J-bottom of this. 

6 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Another possibility, jbotts camp leaked it to make fans less mad about going into the season with just Ulmark and Hutton, saying he'll be better now, because he can see.

That would be a pretty brave move on the part of Botterill.  I’m fairly sure it would be a violation of HIPPA and that is certainly enough to get someone fired if not prosecuted.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

That would be a pretty brave move on the part of Botterill.  I’m fairly sure it would be a violation of HIPPA and that is certainly enough to get someone fired if not prosecuted.

Great point. Which is why it's almost 100% that Hutton and his agent cooked it up. Still not sure why. Ego?

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Great point. Which is why it's almost 100% that Hutton and his agent cooked it up. Still not sure why. Ego?

Fair point, didn't consider that. It would make sense for Hutton to try to make his poor play look fixable. 

I think it could also be possible that the Sabres organization encouraged Hutton's camp to reveal that information as well.

It should be Ullmark getting all the important starts as long as he's healthy for 45-50 games next season.  Hutton should only be used as relief.  He's been terrible.  I do sympathize with the medical condition.  However, it seems like a likely excuse.  Both, for him having not realized it causing an issue with his play.  Or the inability for them to put him on the IR all season.  I just don't really know what to believe or trust anymore.  I just want the draft, and playoff hockey back.  Jack is right, this losing and the aura around this team, is complete and utter *****.  ***** Kim and Terry Pegula for being absolutely useless and Botterill for not having the balls that Murray had to fix things.  I know a level headed approach is important to turning the right page but if we do not make the playoffs in the 10th season or at the very least, be in the mix half way into the season you need to be fired on the spot.  This ***** is NOT acceptable.  You have the off season and draft to fix this team Jason, otherwise, get the ***** out. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Fair point, didn't consider that. It would make sense for Hutton to try to make his poor play look fixable. 

I think it could also be possible that the Sabres organization encouraged Hutton's camp to reveal that information as well.

It’s probably not cooked up, but that doesn’t mean that it’s going to be fixed now and he’ll be good to go.

Hutton is 34 now, and things just don’t work as perfectly as in your 20’s.  (This coming from someone who is also 34, ha!)  He very well may have a mild form of this condition that has been affecting his play.  If he wasn’t an NHL goalie, but instead a “regular person”, he may not even realize that he had it though. It’s possibly just a part of him getting older and worse.  Can it be improved through specific eye exercises?  Who knows?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.