Ullmark vs Hutton

Coach55

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

I think with the way Ullmark is playing that you have to begin to try and up his percentage of games and see what he shows.  But it's the right call to not play him tonight.

Agree with both.

Personally, would give him the next 2 home games - Moe-ray-all & Calgary with Hutton getting the BJ's and Otters after each.  Thing is it'll be tough for Housley to go against the coaching axioms of playing your #1 at home & also after a long layoff.  They don't play the blue, white, & red until Thursday.

6 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

While we would like to see Hutton's GAA come down, however, i think we're missing the fact that both goalies are over .900 save %.  

It's the modern NHL, I expect most goalies to top .900.  I would like to see Hutton get more support as I think he has played much better than his .909% shows. 

Hutton at .909

Ullmark at .982 (only 2 games played)

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's the modern NHL, I expect most goalies to top .900.  I would like to see Hutton get more support as I think he has played much better than his .909% shows. 

Hutton at .909

Ullmark at .982 (only 2 games played)

i think that Hutton is better than his .909 (he was hung out to dry by a few pisspoor efforts) and Ullmark isn't going to keep up his .982, but all in all, i guess my point was that it's nice that we have two goalies we can feel good about for once.  

Edited by Marions Piazza
  • Like (+1) 1

I lived in Detroit when the Red Wings rose to prominence in the Mid-90s.  They struggled mightily with goalies, and even gained a reputation of the fans being hostile toward goalies.  In 1994-95 they went with a young Chris Osgood and veteran Mike Vernon.  That first year they split 60/40% with Vernon getting the majority of the starts.  The following two seasons they flipped, with Osgood getting the majority of the starts.  In the playoffs, though, Vernon got the majority of starts those three years, winning the Stanley Cup in 1997.  Osgood became a successful starter in his own right, backstopping the 2nd and 3rd Cup Championships of the recent Red Wings dynasty, and finishing in the top ten of goalies for wins.

It's not an exact parallel; Vernon had a much stronger resume coming into Detroit than Hutton did, but the tandem concept worked well and Osgood very clearly benefited as a goalie from playing alongside Vernon.  I like to think this is a similar situation here- that Ullmark will "study" under Hutton for a couple years or so and be ready to be very successful goalie for the Sabres.

So many of JBot's moves are with an eye to developing the young players, and I think Hutton's acquisition falls under that.

• 2 weeks later...

They need to start thinking about what they need to do to bring another netminder so they let Ullmark play everyday in Rochester... He looks rusty and that's not unusual for a young tendy who is used to playing a lot more than he has.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They need to start thinking about what they need to do to bring another netminder so they let Ullmark play everyday in Rochester... He looks rusty and that's not unusual for a young tendy who is used to playing a lot more than he has.

Is that what you should do with all pair of goalies you mean? i dont follow at all..

He has done his fair time in Rochester, Sabres obviously believe he is ready to handle it now. 
Hutton has 12 games, SV 91.1%, GAA 2.78
Linus has 5 games, SV 91.6%, GAA 2,79

I cannot defend Linus for last night, he was horrible, but its not fair to say "Send him to Rochester to get games" by now.
If he plays 25 games like last night well then i guess you would prove a point with ur comment but not after 5 games, he already have 1 so and played 5 periods 
without letting 1 puck behind him.

Look at Price, i dont believe many was happy with his Performance either and he is in many ppl eyes one of the best if not the best.

Give Linus some more games and lets find out

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.