Ullmark vs Hutton

Coach55

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

We need in-conference points though.

Detroit is 7 points back with having played 2 more games.  IF they have to start worrying about Detroit catching them, they aren't making the playoffs because at least 2 other teams will have passed them.

They have to make sure they get points against Winnipeg.  They do against Detroit as well, but the margin of error vs Detroit is at least 1 bad goal greater.  If Hutton plays like he has lately, yank him.  They can recover vs the Wings.  Provided, of course, they don't wait until the 3rd bad goal & they're down 4-1.

They likely wouldn't recover from a bad 1 or 2 vs the Jets.

• 11 months later...

Hutton 0-7-4 in last 11 starts

since Oct 22nd has leagues worst Sv% of .866% and a GAA of 4.27.  Worst in both categories (min 5 starts) 

even he was slightly avg and sabres pick up 10 points in 11 games; they’d be 1 point out of a wildcard 

not saying he is the only problem but he is a HUGE problem.   You can’t put him out there, unless you want to tank.... ?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

since Oct 22nd has leagues worst Sv% of .866% and a GAA of 4.27.  Worst in both categories (min 5 starts) 

even he was slightly avg and sabres pick up 10 points in 11 games; they’d be 1 point out of a wildcard 

not saying he is the only problem but he is a HUGE problem.   You can’t put him out there, unless you want to tank.... ?

You mean lose....

playing a subpar (currently) goalie isn’t tanking.

28 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Lol.

I saw some stuff suggesting our defense is decent actually

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, darksabre said:

This effing team man 

What?!!?!??? And he played while dealing with this problem? I'm going to jump to the assumption that Terry and Kim were aware of this issue. If not, everyone from JBots on down is gone. If so, I'm taking a giant step toward the please sell the team side of the argument. 

After seeking treatment, Hutton discovered he suffered from convergence insufficiency, a disorder in which a person's eyes don't move at the same time. He learned his left eye moved slower than his right and attended therapy throughout the season to correct the problem.

"It started to come back around big time in January," Hutton said, according to Buffalo News' Lance Lysowski.

He added, "(Therapy) became part of my daily routine. I would do a ton of different eye training and things to get better at that. In the moment it was obviously tough. Now, moving forward, I learned a lot of skills to help improve that area and make my eye strength better and work on stuff. We weren't sure what it was. It was something I managed throughout the season."

Hutton admitted the vision impairment made it difficult for him to track pucks on the ice, and even routine practice drills became difficult.

• Thanks (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

What?!!?!??? And he played while dealing with this problem? I'm going to jump to the assumption that Terry and Kim were aware of this issue. If not, everyone from JBots on down is gone. If so, I'm taking a giant step toward the please sell the team side of the argument. 

I've only been following hockey since late '60s......it's important for a goalie to be able to see the puck, correct?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, irregularly irregular said:

What?!!?!??? And he played while dealing with this problem? I'm going to jump to the assumption that Terry and Kim were aware of this issue. If not, everyone from JBots on down is gone. If so, I'm taking a giant step toward the please sell the team side of the argument. I

57 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Well... that really sucks. I’d guess Ullmark’s injury likely sunk any previous plan of having Hutton go get it taken care of sooner. I don’t think the Pegulas knew about it and it may be fun for some of you to dogpile everything but this would of been something the team’s trainer, doctor and eventually the coach and GM would hear about. If they knew about it I doubt it was until much later.

If I were to theorize, Botts found out about it around January and that’s when we start seeing more of Ullmark. Ullmark gets hurt and plans change. Botts decides that a visually impaired Hutton with exercises and Johansson give them a better chance than Johansson and the Hamburgler in Buffalo leaving Rochester in a real bad spot with a inexperienced UPL whose growth is vital and likely a signing or trade for another AHL goalie. Likely the latter torpedoes the Amerks and thus he chooses the former. Was it right? Who knows and in late January Buffalo’s chances for a berth was far smaller than Rochester’s odds.

One last thing, perhaps that is what happened during the Toronto OT game where Tavares scores one off the glove top.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well... that really sucks. I’d guess Ullmark’s injury likely sunk any previous plan of having Hutton go get it taken care of sooner. I don’t think the Pegulas knew about it and it may be fun for some of you to dogpile everything but this would of been something the team’s trainer, doctor and eventually the coach and GM would hear about. If they knew about it I doubt it was until much later.

If I were to theorize, Botts found out about it around January and that’s when we start seeing more of Ullmark. Ullmark gets hurt and plans change. Botts decides that a visually impaired Hutton with exercises and Johansson give them a better chance than Johansson and the Hamburgler in Buffalo leaving Rochester in a real bad spot with a inexperienced UPL whose growth is vital and likely a signing or trade for another AHL goalie. Likely the latter torpedoes the Amerks and thus he chooses the former. Was it right? Who knows and in late January Buffalo’s chances for a berth was far smaller than Rochester’s odds.

One last thing, perhaps that is what happened during the Toronto OT game where Tavares scores one off the glove top.

Plausible and I don't mean to be argumentative but in my opinion this team and/or management deserves to be dogpiled on.  This organization appears more and more like a laughing stock.

After winning his first six, he then lost his next thirteen games. If the team knew, why would they keep sending him out there?

If true, the numbers do show that he was better starting in January.

But,… I'm kinda with PA. This sounds like BS.

Gat 'ammit!

14 hours ago, darksabre said:

This effing team man 

Sounds right. I knew something happened to him. But at 34 things just start to not work right on men, lol. 

If he is ok, that would be great. Linus will be the starter but if Hutton can play 25-30 games and have a winning percentage we are good to go, but if this is just an excuse from a guy who just lost it for whatever reason then there had better be a serious backup plan. Jbott has some serious decisions to make about goaltending. Relying on Hutton is a big risk but he is here and signed for a season. Bringing in a player for Rochester is fine, but what security would that be if he is only an AHL caliber player? If a good backup goalie in free agency is available can you really afford to pass? 

If we go into the season with Ullmark and Hutton and Ullmark gets injured again and Hutton can't stop a beachball, it's another disaster season. If they are the starters and perform really well, we probably make the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

If he suffered from this ... I feel bad for the guy. That’s not fun thing to deal with. Especially for an athlete like that. Yikes.... 

Indeed. Thoughts and prayers (retrospectively).

Hasn't anybody googled this yet?

That sucks, and may partially explain his inability to stop a hockey puck.

However, I would think his case was relatively mild and the sort of thing that a “normal” person might hardly notice.  Eye movement exercises and puck tracking exercises are things that pro goalies work on all the time.  It honestly may just be a part of his aging and I’m not particularly hopeful that he will improve it, but who knows.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.