Ullmark vs Hutton

Coach55

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Is that what you should do with all pair of goalies you mean? i dont follow at all..

He has done his fair time in Rochester, Sabres obviously believe he is ready to handle it now. 
Hutton has 12 games, SV 91.1%, GAA 2.78
Linus has 5 games, SV 91.6%, GAA 2,79

I cannot defend Linus for last night, he was horrible, but its not fair to say "Send him to Rochester to get games" by now.
If he plays 25 games like last night well then i guess you would prove a point with ur comment but not after 5 games, he already have 1 so and played 5 periods 
without letting 1 puck behind him.

Look at Price, i dont believe many was happy with his Performance either and he is in many ppl eyes one of the best if not the best.

Give Linus some more games and lets find out

It's Pi, looks like he is looking into the abyss again...

44 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Anybody notice how fast Hutton talks?   

Any reason to be concerned?

Yes, we should be very concerned.  His heart will clearly explode by Christmas and then every single goalie in the system, including, strangely Luukkonen, will be forced to play 1 spot higher in the organizational depth chart which will doom all 3 pro teams' seasons & will not be appreciated in the OHL either.

Condolences premptively to his wife.  (Will be too busy next month to offer them when they would be more appropriate.)  RIP Mr. Hutton; we hardly knew ye.

• Like (+1) 2

First of all, just looooooove Tre. 

Second of all, this team is doing lots of fun stuff. They're serious and play hard on the ice, and have fun and are doing neat little things like this to a degree that I don't even recognize the franchise anymore. 

@That Aud Smell alluded to exciting feelings in the Rochester thread. I'm getting them too. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't know what you mean.

I'm not sure he'll be able to sustain his current pace throughout the entire season.    He seems to get really juiced up for games, his post game interviews sound like his mind is going 100mph.     Maybe why he's been a career backup to date.    I have concerns with his mental stamina.... goaltending is 90% between the ears.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm not sure he'll be able to sustain his current pace throughout the entire season.    He seems to get really juiced up for games, his post game interviews sound like his mind is going 100mph.     Maybe why he's been a career backup to date.    I have concerns with his mental stamina.... goaltending is 90% between the ears.

I would laugh at this, but I've learned what racing minds can do to your ability to function at basic things the hard way the last year and a half. 

Not sure we can really glean evidence of something like that just from watching interviews though. 

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would laugh at this, but I've learned what racing minds can do to your ability to function at basic things the hard way the last year and a half. 

Not sure we can really glean evidence of something like that just from watching interviews though. 

Could also be a sign of substance abuse as well... not accusing him of anything, just that it is what it is.    I've played with guys (a goalie specifically) who get "juiced up" before games and they talk like this.... rambling on and on at a high pace, can't get them to shutup... just looks/sounds very familiar to me which is why I bring it up.

That said, I like him and he's surpassed my expectations to date.   He seems like a solid dude.  Wishing him continued success.

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:
First of all, just looooooove Tre. 

Second of all, this team is doing lots of fun stuff. They're serious and play hard on the ice, and have fun and are doing neat little things like this to a degree that I don't even recognize the franchise anymore. 

@That Aud Smell alluded to exciting feelings in the Rochester thread. I'm getting them too. 

We oughta cross post this in the PSE Creative thread. Solid content. 

Find the good personalities. Come up with a goofy idea. Let it rip.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Could also be a sign of substance abuse as well... not accusing him of anything, just that it is what it is.    I've played with guys (a goalie specifically) who get "juiced up" before games and they talk like this.... rambling on and on at a high pace, can't get them to shutup... just looks/sounds very familiar to me which is why I bring it up.

That said, I like him and he's surpassed my expectations to date.   He seems like a solid dude.  Wishing him continued success.

I talk very fast sometimes. The strongest drug I use is coffee. So it is not what it is. 

edit: although once in awhile I have an extra latte' that I don't really need...so maybe you're on to something. 

Edited by Sakman

Hey, I talk fast. You know how many times people think I'm getting upset, when I'm just rambling my way to a point? I'm not upset, I'm just talking.

Then I get accused of having ADD when I'm not paying attention when someone else is talking. It's not ADD, you're boring me and I clearly don't care what you have to say.

Lastly, cocaine...no biggie. It just helps you drink more booze. I'm pretty sure it makes you smarter. People on coke always coming up with ideas. Brilliant ideas, like "hey, let's freebase this!" 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hutton is the No.1 goalie but 23 games into the season our backup, who has played pretty well, has only played in 6 games.  That isn't enough.  Hutton is on pace to start nearly 60 games this season. Yes he is playing great and you don't screw with a streak, but he has never played more than 40 games in an NHL season.  He did once play 51 games in the AHL but that was in 2012-13.  

When this team makes the playoffs, I'd like my 33 year old goal to still have some game left.

On 11/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hutton is the No.1 goalie but 23 games into the season our backup, who has played pretty well, has only played in 6 games.  That isn't enough.  Hutton is on pace to start nearly 60 games this season. Yes he is playing great and you don't screw with a streak, but he has never played more than 40 games in an NHL season.  He did once play 51 games in the AHL but that was in 2012-13.  

When this team makes the playoffs, I'd like my 33 year old goal to still have some game left.

You can't forget that Hutton signed because he was promised to be the starter. He may have asked for a lot of games. Unless things went bad they are going to respect and honor that because JBot is building an organization (I think) that honors it's word. If Hutton says he is ready, he's going to play. 

On 11/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, pi2000 said:

This is a tremendous reach.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:19 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hutton is on pace to start nearly 60 games this season.

Consider that Ullmark is still on a development track.  I expect the number of starts he gets to increase a bit.  60/22 probably isn't a healthy split, but 50/32 would be okay.  I think we'll see something more like the latter as the season progresses, especially in light of games like Ullmark had against Detroit.  He looks like he can start a little more frequently.  I think chomping at the bit for more playing time and Housley will likely give it to him.

I'm not super sure where to do this, but I am thanking the lord (actually thanking Botterill) for Hutton. Carter is my team MVP right now. 

Carter Hutton is second in ES high-danger-save-percentage of all goalies with at least 15 starts, at .873. I recall Lehner being 30th or so, even in the season where his overall SP was .920. Ullmark is at .853. Both are top 15 in all situations. Their overall save percentage is .920 (532/578 shots faced for Hutton) and .926 (213/230 for Ullmark). 

The Sabres this season have allowed 632 shots against at 5v5 in 25 games. 25.3 per game. Overall they have allowed 813, or 32.5 per game. Both of these numbers are bottom ten, though might not be if all teams had equal games played, I don't have time to normalize, and it's not important for what I'm doing. 283 high danger chances for, 222 at 5v5. 

No Sabre goalie broke 80% in high danger save percentages last season. 

Replacing our goalies' overall save percentages with last year's goalies' and changing nothing else about our play would give us 12 more goals allowed than we already have through 24 games, or one goal every other game. We'd have 80 and be solidly bottom ten in that regard. 

However, if we take the high danger chances we've allowed this season (the rate is worse than it was last year) and applied last season's high-danger-save percentage, ie, if we plugged in Lehner/Chad for the things we're giving up more of now, the nuts and bolts of how NHL goals get scored...Through 25 games, instead of allowing the 33 of these goals we've allowed, they'd have given up SIXTY. 60. That's a net difference of 27 more goals allowed in these 25 games. 

Playing the same defensive hockey in front of the goaltending we got on those exact shots last year would place us bottom 5 in GA this year. Considering that we are giving free passes to the slot during this win streak and winning by one goal every game, I don't think we'd have won ten games in a row, or ten games yet this season. 

Hence, Carter Hutton is the team MVP, and letting Lehner walk/signing Carter the cake as best roster move by any GM this offseason IMO. No other move has given a team such a direct boost in the things that win hockey games, goals. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How does Nashville stack up in that regard? Are they too relying on premier goaltending?

I dunno. To be honest, that foray into navigating corsica.hockey along with other sites (corsica makes you refresh and re-apply your filters if you leave the page for more than a couple seconds) has broken me for the night so you'll have to do it yourself ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.