Ullmark vs Hutton

Coach55

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

This might be the worst take you've had among a littany of awful takes. I'm not a big Miller honk but the amount of shade thrown on him here is completely unjustified. 

Sorry I haven't lived up to your standards. But, statistically, Miller was average. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My thoughts:

1st (& totally random), Dom Hasek is the best Sabres netminder of this millenium.  His last time taking the ice for Buffalo was playoffs 2001.

2nd, Ullmark settled down in Arizona, but started very shaky.  He was absolutely on the last 50 minutes of the game.  And, I do typically believe coaches should give the guy who got a shutout the next game, but don't blame Housley for going with Hutton there.

IF Linus started slow in Vegas, the Sabres would've been toast.  And that was a very difficult place to play last year.  Heading into that game, Hutton on paper gave the Sabres the better chance to win.

Fully expect Linus to get the start vs LA.

Also, expect that the hope right now among management is that Ullmark plays well enough the next 2 seasons to be the goalie they protect in the Seattle draft.

The Sabres aren't rushing Olafsson, Pilut, Nylander, nor Smith into action too quickly.  They seem to be following the same model for Ullmark too.  If he continues to stone the weaker teams, he'll get tougher opponents as the season progresses.  But after only 1 game, we can't expect it.  Darn shame he got hurt after getting called up last year; he could've been beyond this prove it stage possibly.

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My thoughts:

1st (& totally random), Dom Hasek is the best Sabres netminder of this millenium.  His last time taking the ice for Buffalo was playoffs 2001.

2nd, Ullmark settled down in Arizona, but started very shaky.  He was absolutely on the last 50 minutes of the game.  And, I do typically believe coaches should give the guy who got a shutout the next game, but don't blame Housley for going with Hutton there.

IF Linus started slow in Vegas, the Sabres would've been toast.  And that was a very difficult place to play last year.  Heading into that game, Hutton on paper gave the Sabres the better chance to win.

Fully expect Linus to get the start vs LA.

Also, expect that the hope right now among management is that Ullmark plays well enough the next 2 seasons to be the goalie they protect in the Seattle draft.

The Sabres aren't rushing Olafsson, Pilut, Nylander, nor Smith into action too quickly.  They seem to be following the same model for Ullmark too.  If he continues to stone the weaker teams, he'll get tougher opponents as the season progresses.  But after only 1 game, we can't expect it.  Darn shame he got hurt after getting called up last year; he could've been beyond this prove it stage possibly.

Excellent post. There’s just going to be a lot of bloodthirsty reactions this season. We’ve been through so many losing seasons, that we want wins. 

The Sabres have back to back losses while Olaf is piling up points in the A, of course the natural reaction is wanting him here. How many Kassians and Zadorovs and Grigorenkos did we ruin by bringing them up too soon in a horrible culture?

I think what they are doing with Ullmark is one of the few good things this organization has actually done in recent years. Goalies take time, and bringing this guy along small step at a time, developing, that is the right way to go. Hutton was signed to be #1 and has played well. Be nice to see how he does in a shootout if we can ever tie a game in regulation. In time, if Ullmark keeps playing great there'll be a goaltending controversy and we can trade Hutton to some goaltending desperate team like Philadelphia. Until then, enjoy the one area of the team that is actually improved. 

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's different because Hutton is not an established starter.   Him and Ullmark should be competing for the starting job.   

He is this team's established starter and that's all that matters.  There was never a question of who was the starting goaltender for this team this season.

I understand that Hutton has not been an established starter throughout his career, but his role changed when he came to Buffalo. I'm also pretty confident in recalling that people were kind of down on Ullmark during the pre-season for his performance.  I'm not that motivated to go back and find the posts.

This conversation reminds me of the others about this team.  The team isn't looking great so change everything just to see what happens. People were all gaga over Hutton and his 3 on 0 save versus the Rangers, but then a few bad games and Ullmark shuts out the lowest scoring team in the league and everyone is all "STARTER STARTER".. 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Let's not get carried away here.

I agree... but that's exactly what people in here are advocating for...  not me.  It's not Hutton who's keeping the Sabres from winning games right now and I don't think Ullmark would have changed things in the standings.

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

I agree... but that's exactly what people in here are advocating for...  not me.  It's not Hutton who's keeping the Sabres from winning games right now and I don't think Ullmark would have changed things in the standings.

I read it as 2 calling for Ullmark to be the starter and a few more that wanted him to get another start after the shutout.  And the 2nd part is definitely worthy of debate.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I read it as 2 calling for Ullmark to be the starter and a few more that wanted him to get another start after the shutout.  And the 2nd part is definitely worthy of debate.

I happen to disagree with both assertions.  The first that Ullmark is not getting a fair shake to be the starter and the second being that he should have started after the shutout.  I think Ullmark may be able to force his way into being the starter, especially if Hutton gets injured.  I have a lot of faith in him.

As for debating Ullmark making a difference over Hutton, my primary reasoning behind it is that Hutton is a seasoned veteran and knows whats going on. He's projected an air of being fairly unexciteable and I think when the games get tense that helps the team.  Ullmark is a bit more outgoing and emotional and I think in similar circumstance that might add to the fire rather than help put it out.  Either way, I think Sabres are losing those games with whomever you put in net.

The goaltending isn't the issue on this team.  The team has to play better defense and control the puck more.

I pretty much fully agree with the substance of this last post.  I think if Ullmark would have shown himself to be the better goalie he’d be the starter now regardless of any preconceived notions.  And I think Hutton getting the starting job (given that Ullmark has not yet demonstrated that he’s the better goalie) makes the most sense given the reasons you’ve listed.

But I also believe that playing Ullmark after a shutout win is a very defensible position.  Granted, not playing him after the shutout is also very defensible.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Weave said:

I pretty much fully agree with the substance of this last post.  I think if Ullmark would have shown himself to be the better goalie he’d be the starter now regardless of any preconceived notions.  And I think Hutton getting the starting job (given that Ullmark has not yet demonstrated that he’s the better goalie) makes the most sense given the reasons you’ve listed.

But I also believe that playing Ullmark after a shutout win is a very defensible position.  Granted, not playing him after the shutout is also very defensible.

Agreed,

Playing Ullmark tonight will also suck, the team is in such bad shape that LA will run Ullmark over, maybe, just maybe he can stand on his head 60 mins and save us the embarrassment that what is infront of him has been showing. 

I see nothing else than a loss tonight and i feel sad for Linus 

14 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Agreed,

Playing Ullmark tonight will also suck, the team is in such bad shape that LA will run Ullmark over, maybe, just maybe he can stand on his head 60 mins and save us the embarrassment that what is infront of him has been showing. 

I see nothing else than a loss tonight and i feel sad for Linus 

I'm going to assume that you weren't aware the Kings are a hot mess right now when you said this.  Doughty is calling the coach out.  Quick was bad, injured, and is back (and is still not doing well).  My guess is that the Doughty contract situation is in a lot of heads right now and some other factors are contributing to their decline.

They appear to be in for a few years of basement dwelling.

42 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm going to assume that you weren't aware the Kings are a hot mess right now when you said this.  Doughty is calling the coach out.  Quick was bad, injured, and is back (and is still not doing well).  My guess is that the Doughty contract situation is in a lot of heads right now and some other factors are contributing to their decline.

They appear to be in for a few years of basement dwelling.

Yea knowing the facts now u are right, i assumed that kings would not be worse than what sabres has been, i had a hard time figuring out if LA just sucked last night or if Sabres made them suck, yea looks like they have issues for sure, just like Sabres do. 

16 hours ago, Weave said:

I think he's shown himself to be the goalie that the team plays better in front of, at least, even with a small sample size.  And that's enough for me to want to see that sample size grow.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Housley does not want to reward the team with wins for poor play in front of the goalie. So he wants them to lose 5-1 when they play poorly instead of getting a shutout and winning.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.  Are you saying that he would rather the team lose than win?

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I think he's shown himself to be the goalie that the team plays better in front of, at least, even with a small sample size.  And that's enough for me to want to see that sample size grow.

One could also say, he's been the goalie that played against the Sabres worst 2 opponents to date.

Was the team's better play due to Ullmark, the opponents, or a combination of the 2?

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One could also say, he's been the goalie that played against the Sabres worst 2 opponents to date.

Was the team's better play due to Ullmark, the opponents, or a combination of the 2?

I really think it's just the quality of competition. The Kings, for example, are very bad. 

Tonight is a trap game for the Sabres. The Ducks are beatable but our team will be feeling good about their effort last night and probably come out flat...

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I really think it's just the quality of competition. The Kings, for example, are very bad. 

Tonight is a trap game for the Sabres. The Ducks are beatable but our team will be feeling good about their effort last night and probably come out flat...

Hopefully all our boys know about the Ducks is their record. 

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It is a trap game, but just as much, if not more, for the Ducks.  They likely will play Miller rather than Gibson.

They're going to want to play better than they did last night (they were getting outshot at least 12-4 at 1 point late in the 1st), but it could be hard to take seriously last year's 31st place team.

Hopefully the Sabres get it in their heads that they're being disrespected & come out pissed off.

I'm expecting they (Buffalo, that is) lose about 3-1, 4-1 w/ an empty netter, but this might be the game they finally beat a better team that hasn't been playing poorly (last night's game not withstanding).  Definitely looking forward to it, but probably will head to bed early if they're down heading into the 3rd.

Edited by Taro T

14 minutes ago, coastal said:

Hutton gets the start tonight.  Ulmark has absolutely earned the next start after that.  It’s a game by game decision at this point and absolutely should be treated 100% like a competition from this point forward.

I would have started Ullie, but what do I know.  

Welcome to the board.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.