Sabres Special Teams Killer: PP and PK

LGR4GM

Just now, Weave said:

Well, we dumped our most effective PK'ers (Kane and ROR), and one of our key PP contributors.  Neither were replaced at that level.

Can you smell that, Mr. Anderson?  It's the smell of inevitability.

Kane was absolutely replaced with Skinner. The issue is Horsely and company won't put him on PP1 and instead stuck Okposo out there. 

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Is Skinner a PKer?  I haven't noticed that?

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Well, we dumped our most effective PK'ers (Kane and ROR), and one of our key PP contributors.  Neither were replaced at that level.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kane was absolutely replaced with Skinner. The issue is Horsely and company won't put him on PP1 and instead stuck Okposo out there. 

I was saying that EK was replaced by Skinner for the PP but the Sabres didn't actually do that. That is why Okposo is out there. Had nothing to do with the PK part of your comment. 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was saying that EK was replaced by Skinner for the PP but the Sabres didn't actually do that. That is why Okposo is out there. Had nothing to do with the PK part of your comment. 

Kane was a #2 unit PP guy, not exactly key, but he was a key PKer for us and so was ROR.  Neither were replaced at the level of performance they both had on the PK, and you are correct, ROR was "replaced" on the PP but it isn't working out to date.

Edited by Weave

I actually liked Jack on the kill the other day. He is quick and had the reach to disrupt players and if he ever gets it past the other team there is a good chance for a shorty. I think it was because Sobotka had taken the penalty. 

Is it a solution? absolutely not, but it was a interesting thing to see. 

Our first line PP was 46% over the last three games and is 48% on the season, falls to 28% and 16% for the second line*. I don't think Okposo is the problem, we need to get improve that second line. With that said, I don't like KO on the PP. 

*Source: https://leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/buffalo-sabres/?team=buffalo-sabres&strength=PP&gametype=3

Can somebody post the current percentages of each?

It's still so early. 3 games ago our PP was like 40%. The lack of recent success sucks for sure, and they need to work on it, but these are things that get ironed over by father time. I don't think they'll settle in as being too bad.

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 hours ago, Weave said:

The PP was bad most of the year even with them. Housley took the #1 PP in the NHL the year before he got there with mostly the same players and turned it into dog crap.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

The PP was bad most of the year even with them. Housley took the #1 PP in the NHL the year before he got there with mostly the same players and turned it into dog crap.

Once the top unit got back together for good last year, from January 1st through April, or a little more than half the season, they continued to operate at the 24% that had them in first the season before. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.