Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

What are your Sabres Powerball/Megamillions numbers?

Recommended Posts

Have the Mrs. purchasing 80 dollars worth, in 8 dollar increments (2 dollars a draw), in 10 different locations in the past 2 days.

I've noticed a pattern, when you buy in bulk, or chunk quick picks, the mega ball number is repeated or close, as in block number release from a computer. Therefore, picking across the time span allotted, allows for more diverse numbers.

The last 60 we'll spend tomorrow, once again, multiple locations, small increments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Weave said:

They're all losers.

Hey I don't mind sharing... that being said, you are 99.9% correct... probably could throw a couple more decimal points in there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotteries... a tax on people who are bad at math. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Lotteries... a tax on people who are bad at math. 

Whenever I buy a ticket I say, "Here is my donation to education." 

1, 4, 6, 14, 26, 49 = Sabres lottery numbers

Edited by LGR4GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Hey I don't mind sharing... that being said, you are 99.9% correct... probably could throw a couple more decimal points in there as well.

In the context of the title.....

You aren't picking winning Sabres numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Lotteries... a tax on people who are bad at math. 

I'm not a big lottery player, and maybe I have my math wrong, but if the odds of winning are 1 in 259M and a bet is $2, doesn't it make good mathematical sense to place a bet if the jackpot is over $518M?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not a big lottery player, and maybe I have my math wrong, but if the odds of winning are 1 in 259M and a bet is $2, doesn't it make good mathematical sense to place a bet if the jackpot is over $518M?

My wife is not good at math. She just bought some tickets this week because of such reasoning. I routinely laugh at her because of the absurd assertion that $500M is somehow more life changing than $50 or $100M. As if the $50M wasn’t worth the $2 risk, but $500M passes the walking around money threshold. 

If people want to light money on fire - that’s their business. The biggest problem is that those who buy those tickets day in and day out are the ones who can least afford it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SDS said:

My wife is not good at math. She just bought some tickets this week because of such reasoning. I routinely laugh at her because of the absurd assertion that $500M is somehow more life changing than $50 or $100M. As if the $50M wasn’t worth the $2 risk, but $500M passes the walking around money threshold. 

If people want to light money on fire - that’s their business. The biggest problem is that those who buy those tickets day in and day out are the ones who can least afford it. 

I'm not talking about the life-changing aspect of it, but rather the pure math.  Does it make mathematical sense to place a $2 bet once the jackpot passes $518M?  (Assume for the moment that the pot cannot be split among multiple winners.)  Because I think it does but I'm relying on you STEM types to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your last sentence, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not talking about the life-changing aspect of it, but rather the pure math.  Does it make mathematical sense to place a $2 bet once the jackpot passes $518M?  (Assume for the moment that the pot cannot be split among multiple winners.)  Because I think it does but I'm relying on you STEM types to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your last sentence, yes.

That’s a very involved question. It is answered thoroughly here (the answer is that when you take taxes and duplicate winners into account, the answer is it is never worth it. With taxes only the threshold is $1.4B. With no caveats the threshhold is $232M due to secondary winnings).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/01/13/the-science-of-powerball/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s a very involved question. It is answered thoroughly here (the answer is that when you take taxes and duplicate winners into account, the answer is it is never worth it. With taxes only the threshold is $1.4B. With no caveats the threshhold is $232M due to secondary winnings).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/01/13/the-science-of-powerball/amp/

hey Interesting... so wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My work compatriots bought a bunch of tickets pooling our numbers so who the heck knows..,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bought 3 tickets, all with the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6

i wanted to triple my odds of winning by getting 3. Not only that, the 800 million dollars time winning 3 times, that has to be worth like 3.5 billion, right?

Edited by rekim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 120 dollars worth of tickets on my counter in the kitchen. I bought them 9ver the past 2 days in 6 dollar increments.

The computers generating the numbers do them in block configurations, hence, if you've ever noticed, when you purchase them in 10 or 20 dollar blocks, you'll often see a couple of the mega or power ball number 2 or 3 times the same number on a ticket, and often clustered in a tight group, I.e. 05 08 04 10 and an occasional straggler here or there.

My 2 nephews and my brother are algorithm programmers. So, the balls may indeed be draw'in randomly, but the way you purchase your tickets effects your odds as well with regard to number dispersment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I have 120 dollars worth of tickets on my counter in the kitchen. I bought them 9ver the past 2 days in 6 dollar increments.

The computers generating the numbers do them in block configurations, hence, if you've ever noticed, when you purchase them in 10 or 20 dollar blocks, you'll often see a couple of the mega or power ball number 2 or 3 times the same number on a ticket, and often clustered in a tight group, I.e. 05 08 04 10 and an occasional straggler here or there.

My 2 nephews and my brother are algorithm programmers. So, the balls may indeed be draw'in randomly, but the way you purchase your tickets effects your odds as well with regard to number dispersment.

Hey, swing on down to the casino sometime....you're just gonna love playing Let It Ride.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Hey, swing on down to the casino sometime....you're just gonna love playing Let It Ride.

Going tonight as a matter of fact. My moms 71st birthday, and her and pops love the Casino 🙂

 

On a side note, just so your aware, 1997, walked in to the Falls Casino over in Canada with 80 bucks American. 9 hours later, walked out with 8200 American. Black jack and the wheel 🙂

Was actually up a bit more but gave a couple thousand back before calling it a night. Bought a nice 4 wheeler and muzzle loader, Hoyt bow to 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on. Megamillions 15-23... You would have been 1/3 of the way to unimaginable wealth. The final ball? 7. Please. 53-65-70 could have been a challenge, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, SDS said:

Lotteries... a tax on people who are bad at math. 

And the most entertainment you can buy for $2 if you have an imagination and no expectations of actually winning. I'm buying 3 days of daydreaming. That's worth $2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I took the day off and went out and bought 500 in mega millions and 500 in power ball. 6 dollar tickets, 3 lines per ticket, to prevent algorithm clumping of numbers.

If, by chance, I win either one, I will get a corporate box where 30 games a season will be open to SS members on a first come first serve basis.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ok, so I took the day off and went out and bought 500 in mega millions and 500 in power ball. 6 dollar tickets, 3 lines per ticket, to prevent algorithm clumping of numbers.

If, by chance, I win either one, I will get a corporate box where 30 games a season will be open to SS members on a first come first serve basis.

I'm pretty sure I can get you a room comp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Ok, so I took the day off and went out and bought 500 in mega millions and 500 in power ball. 6 dollar tickets, 3 lines per ticket, to prevent algorithm clumping of numbers.

If, by chance, I win either one, I will get a corporate box where 30 games a season will be open to SS members on a first come first serve basis.

Why do you care if your numbers are clumped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Assquatch said:

Why do you care if your numbers are clumped?

I have noticed when you purchase a $20 dollar ticket ($2 a line, 10 lines) the same number pops up as the mega ball or power ball 2 to 4 times. That doesn't increase my odds without diversifying more of those numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 19, 2018 at 5:35 AM, SDS said:

My wife is not good at math. She just bought some tickets this week because of such reasoning. I routinely laugh at her because of the absurd assertion that $500M is somehow more life changing than $50 or $100M. As if the $50M wasn’t worth the $2 risk, but $500M passes the walking around money threshold. 

If people want to light money on fire - that’s their business. The biggest problem is that those who buy those tickets day in and day out are the ones who can least afford it. 

Lotteries are a tax on the poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×