GDT: Sabres at Vegas 10/16/18 10:00 PM MSG, WGR

Sabel79

50 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Great breakdown.

There are hockey fan bois who like to get all hot and lathered over Risto's off-season workouts -- clips from social media where the Finnish freak, like, fells tall trees by flinging big truck tires at them -- but the issue with Risto has never been his strength, speed, and such.

He is super dumb on the ice. Like, an idiot.

Agreed.    Those are mistakes you'd expect a rookie to make, but this is his 5th season.     He's played +350 games in the NHL.    These types of mistakes are inexcusable.    They are simple plays and he just lacks the hockey intelligence to read and recognize average everyday situations.

I just hope the coaching staff and JBOTs are picking up on this stuff and will do what's necessary.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I took a look at the first 3 Vegas goals to see where things went wrong for Buffalo...

First Goal:  Risto (circled in red) takes himself badly out of position on Vegas' PP zone entry, forcing McCabe to abandon his position and defend Karlsson who finds a wide open Marchessault.

Guilty party: Risto's lack of positional awareness and game situation... some blame on Berglund for not recognizing Marchessault was sneaking in behind him, but normally that's not his responsibility (if McCabe could've held his position instead of making up for Risto's gaffe). 

0jdvrmy.jpg

I'm almost positive that first goal was Berglund's fault failing to find the trailing man into the zone

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Amen.

This is Jack's team. Time to put up or shut up, young man.

It is for now, but I think maybe he just isn't that guy. Talented hockey player. On a good team a top scorer and an allstar but not a 'generational talent" as billed.   I think maybe we have to hope this becomes Dahlin's team. maybe on that team, Jack will do really good. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It is for now, but I think maybe he just isn't that guy. Talented hockey player. On a good team a top scorer and an allstar but not a 'generational talent" as billed.   I think maybe we have to hope this becomes Dahlin's team. maybe on that team, Jack will do really good. 

But how, as a practical matter, can such a transition occur?

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

But how, as a practical matter, can such a transition occur?

I believe it will happen naturally, when it becomes evident that Dahlin is a better overall player than Jack.

Now, I am not saying that this will happen and that Rasmus is going to become the better player than Jack.

21 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This looks great, any chance you know why the images won't show for me so I can get the icing on the cake?

And just from memory, I completely agree with your first goal interpretation - on the PK Risto can't attempt that play. 

@ByMHarrington
Pretty clear to me Berglund is a healthy scratch after bad first goal in Vegas. Said Housley: "There's other things that led up to the decision. We have extra players. We have four games in six nights. We're just looking at it on a game-by-game, day-by-day basis." #Sabres

5 hours ago, N S said:

I believe it will happen naturally, when it becomes evident that Dahlin is a better overall player than Jack.

Now, I am not saying that this will happen and that Rasmus is going to become the better player than Jack.

I am confusion.

I mean: Jack has the C now. Is there a scenario in which the C is given to Dahlin, Jack remains on the team, and all is well in Sabreville?

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am confusion.

I mean: Jack has the C now. Is there a scenario in which the C is given to Dahlin, Jack remains on the team, and all is well in Sabreville?

There's literally no scenario of the sort. Jack is wearing the C for as long as he is here. There's no going back now. 

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am confusion.

Yes.  But, the only way this works is if Jack recognises that Dahlin is the true leader of this group.

And Jack gives the C to Dalhin.  It has happened with other teams and maybe even with the Sabres when Schoney gave up the C to Gare.

Edited by N S

2 minutes ago, N S said:

I believe that you are correct and that Jack is not that type.  It may the best thing for the team in the long term, though.

The only way Jack isn't wearing the C anymore is if he gets traded. 

If Dahlin is going to lead, he'll do it like a goalie: without the C. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

@ByMHarrington
Pretty clear to me Berglund is a healthy scratch after bad first goal in Vegas. Said Housley: "There's other things that led up to the decision. We have extra players. We have four games in six nights. We're just looking at it on a game-by-game, day-by-day basis." #Sabres

Weird. It's almost as if Berglund isn't very good when he's not playing on Stastny's wing. 

1 hour ago, N S said:

Yes.  But, the only way this works is if Jack recognises that Dahlin is the true leader of this group.

And Jack gives the C to Dalhin.  It has happened with other teams and maybe even with the Sabres when Schoney gave up the C to Gare.

I know it's been discussed upthread, but holy shlamoley. NFW this ever happens. Ever.

You don't need to have the C to be the team leader. 

As soon as he is ready, Dahlin gets the A and it is also possible that when he leads by example and raises his game at the key moments the people around him (like Jack) will also raise theirs.

It's the hope right? Ya got to have hope. 

The way he jumped into the rush on the goal he scored the other night shows me he just might be an actual generational talent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.