Karin Housley and her politics

LGR4GM

So... 

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hoo boy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/karin-housley-minnesota-michelle-obama-facebook-comments_us_5bc10538e4b0bd9ed55a2663

“Michelle is soooo far from cool. Don’t we expect our First Ladies to at least stand up straight? (And my dear sister, know the proper etiquette and DO NOT TOUCH THE QUEEN!),” [Karin] Housley wrote on her Facebook wall.

In the comment thread on her post, Housley said the chimpanzee in the 1951 film “Bedtime for Bonzo,” starring then-actor Ronald Reagan, likely had better posture than Mrs. Obama.

“I do miss Nancy Reagan. Ronald even more. Speaking of Bedtime for Bonzo, I think even that chimp stood up straighter than Michelle,” Housley wrote. “Uh-oh, someone is going to make a comment.” 

Edited by LGR4GM

Good or bad depending on your view, it's all tied into the culture of the teams that is always a topic of conversation. It pops up in ugly little ways here and there that then have twitter threads and message boards alike descend into bitter debates on politics and culture, racism and religion. When the owners and leaders of teams have a well established ethos and political view, it affects nearly all parts of the product, and thus is fair game for fans to squabble about. As a fan, you can "vote" with your attendance and money, but yeah... kinda tricky.

I personally would rather not support the sort of folks involved with people like Mrs. Housley. I take issue with Pegula fracking. I'm not a fan of most of the Bills culture issues that are currently melting down the Bills thread, and it really turns me off the team (and the NFL as a whole, honestly).  But... I continue to give my bucks to the Sabres and would be excited if the Bills did well so... I'm a hypocrite. 

but I can still air my grievances, powerless though I may be.  I think a lot of fans share that crappy, disappointed, conflicted feeling. Other markets besides our own, of course, as well. 

Some will say it doesn't matter- those are usually the ones who side with the person in question. When your horse is winning the race, why bring up the negatives (if you even seen them)? 

• Like (+1) 1

Without even accounting for the ties to the Sabres, those are the kinds of comments that just don't need to be said and will never end well for you.

Let's not even touch the sheer ignorance of using a chimp as a reference.  She even states it will draw comments.  But why even bother to say someone is not cool. 

Unfortunately this seems to be the way of society these days.  Rather than champion oneself it's easier to tear everyone down. Moreover, it's not like we tear people down for significant items, but rather "not being cool" and having poor posture?

I have a real issue, a real problem with the Pegulas throwing money at an unabashed Trumpist who has chirped a sitting First Lady with a racist trope.

I suspect that neither of the Pegulas would support likening a black American - prominent or not - to a monkey or ape.

And yet: Billionaires gonna billionaire. Those tax cuts and environmental regulation roll backs aren't just something -- they're errr-thang.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hank said:

It was nine years ago, who gives a fuk. 

Due to location she won't represent me, but I care anyway.

She is running for a legislative position.  I expect two primary things from the people in a legislative body.  Intelligence and respect for the importance of what they are attempting to do.  In 2009 she was on a political trajectory.  She was making a name for a run at state office.  Making fun of appearances for political gain is a sure sign to me that respect for what she is attempting to do has been trumped (hey, that pun works) by a pettiness that inherently cannot lead to good governance.  And using the particular turn of phrase that she did indicates to me either a lack of situational intelligence if unintended, or an extreme degree of pettiness that borders on sociopathic if intended.

I'm way past Republican vs. Democrat or conservative vs. liberal.  I only care about good governance.  This sort of behavior is anti good governance. 

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Due to location she won't represent me, but I care anyway.

She is running for a legislative position.  I expect two primary things from the people in a legislative body.  Intelligence and respect for the importance of what they are attempting to do.  In 2009 she was on a political trajectory.  She was making a name for a run at state office.  Making fun of appearances for political gain is a sure sign to me that respect for what she is attempting to do has been trumped (hey, that pun works) by a pettiness that inherently cannot lead to good governance.  And using the particular turn of phrase that she did indicates to me either a lack of situational intelligence if unintended, or an extreme degree of pettiness that borders on sociopathic if intended.

I'm way past Republican vs. Democrat or conservative vs. liberal.  I only care about good governance.  This sort of behavior is anti good governance. 

You may be correct. 100%. I don't live in Minnesota, I don't care. 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

It was nine years ago, who gives a fuk. 

Is there a statute of limitations?  It matters only in that it sets a tone for the kind of person she is and the way she handles herself.  She may have indeed changed and that would certainly be something to talk about.  However, to intone that one need not be concerned, well, I think weave put it quite well. Ignorance and disrespect are not something that should be rewarded.  

I don't live in Minnesota either but the people elected to the US Senate, from there, vote on issues that will impact me.  As such, I care.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

Is there a statute of limitations?  It matters only in that it sets a tone for the kind of person she is and the way she handles herself.  She may have indeed changed and that would certainly be something to talk about.  However, to intone that one need not be concerned, well, I think weave put it quite well. Ignorance and disrespect are not something that should be rewarded.  

I don't live in Minnesota either but the people elected to the US Senate, from there, vote on issues that will impact me.  As such, I care.

If she wins, which she probably won't, she'll toe the republican line. Same as the Democrat who will probably win will toe the Democratic line. It's only mentioned now because the Democrats are hoping it will cost her votes. It's only mentioned on here because she's housley's wife, and housley isn't the preferred coach of some. Let's not pretend there's any moralistic outrage here. 

Extremely dumb thing for her to say/write.  At BEST, it was a very ill advised attempt at humor that wasn't funny.  Glad she isn't running for office in my district.

Didn't read the Huff Po article.  Was the post really made 9 years ago?  If so, remember kiddies, whatever you put on the internet will be there forever and if it is stupid enough or vile enough, even if you don't regret it, you will.

50 minutes ago, Hank said:

If she wins, which she probably won't, she'll toe the republican line. Same as the Democrat who will probably win will toe the Democratic line. It's only mentioned now because the Democrats are hoping it will cost her votes. It's only mentioned on here because she's housley's wife, and housley isn't the preferred coach of some. Let's not pretend there's any moralistic outrage here. 

So we can't think her comments distasteful because we dislike Housley the coach? That logic is so obviously flawed it is painful. I wasn't gonna comment. But I will. 

Comparing a black woman to a chimp is racist. It's simple, don't do it. The only reason she commented fyi is because she disliked Obama. Interestingly that we are being asked to be held to a higher standard then someone who only commented originally from a position of hate. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So we can't think her comments distasteful because we dislike Housley the coach? That logic is so obviously flawed it is painful. I wasn't gonna comment. But I will. 

Comparing a black woman to a chimp is racist. It's simple, don't do it. The only reason she commented fyi is because she disliked Obama. Interestingly that we are being asked to be held to a higher standard then someone who only commented originally from a position of hate. 

I'm not expecting, or asking for, any standard, from anyone. I don't condone what she said. It's despicable. That don't change the fact that my previous post is 100% accurate. If it was a Democratic senator candidate from Iowa spewing nine year old hate it wouldn't have been posted here. 

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I'm not expecting, or asking for, any standard, from anyone. I don't condone what she said. It's despicable. That don't change the fact that my previous post is 100% accurate. If it was a Democratic senator candidate from Iowa spewing nine year old hate it wouldn't have been posted here. 

Next time something like that comes up, be sure to post it here.

Then I can pop into the thread to say “Iowa official 9 years ago — who gives a fuk?”

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Next time something like that comes up, be sure to post it here.

Then I can pop into the thread to say “Iowa official 9 years ago — who gives a fuk?”

I wouldn't give a fuk. You don't give a fuk. You're only saying something because it's housley's wife. 

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Well, here's the thing.  At the moment, it's this particular person. It doesn't get dismissed. I don't care who she is married to and I happen to think Housley is a fine coach.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

It would have been posted here. If I were aware of it and so inclined I might have posted it. 

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

I wouldn't give a fuk. You don't give a fuk. You're only saying something because it's housley's wife. 

And I think you should step back a bit now and stop telling others why they do what they do. You've said you don't condone what she's said then stick to haranguing her about it and not attacking the other people on this board who posted it. They can't post what isn't said and you should keep that in mind. When a democratic candidate gets called out for something similar you can come here and yell it from the rooftops and but that won't make what Karin Housley suddenly justified, it will only add to the pile of ignorance.

41 minutes ago, Hank said:

Um, you know Housley coaches the Sabres, right? Of course it's the only reason it has been brought up. What does that have to do with anything?

It speaks to a culture of the Pegulas that I honestly would not give two craps about, but it has been spilling on to the ice/field (especially with the Bills) and that's a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hank said:

If it was a Democratic Senate Candidate from Iowa or a Repbulican Candidate from Wisconsin spewing crap you are 100% correct. This is a hockey forum and we know about Karin Housley because of her husband. I don't think it matters if she is a republican. Let's say that Al Franken's wife was the Sabres head coach. When he was accused of stuff last year, we would have probably talked about it. We are more aware of Karin because of Phil and I don't think there is some weird bias there. 

• Like (+1) 1

In this day and age, winning the debate usually means you've insulted your opponent better than they've insulted you.  I'm not sure anyone wins when the only outcome is tearing everything down.

• Like (+1) 1