Olofsson AHL player of the Week and now Month

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not yet. Just send Tage down and plug in Erod. Put Elie as the backup. 

Sabres are desperate for scoring outside the top line and PP.  We has 31 goals YTD.  15 by the top line, 6 by the D.  We have 22 5 on 5 goals, 13 by the top line and 5 by the D.  The means the other 11 forwards have 4 even strength goals combined after 12 games.  That doesn’t work long-term. 5 forward have no goals and no forward outside the top line has more than 1 even strength goal.  We need finishers and Olofsson is the best one we have outside the NHL.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres are desperate for scoring outside the top line and PP.  We has 31 goals YTD.  15 by the top line, 6 by the D.  We have 22 5 on 5 goals, 13 by the top line and 5 by the D.  The means the other 11 forwards have 4 even strength goals combined after 12 games.  That doesn’t work long-term. 5 forward have no goals and no forward outside the top line has more than 1 even strength goal.  We need finishers and Olofsson is the best one we have outside the NHL.

5 goals and 10 assists suggests that it's not the finishing portion of his game that is thriving the most right now.  If that is his strength and it's what you want him to bring, more time in the AHL will probably bring that out of him.  The stats suggest that his points right now are probably coming from setting up Redmond.  Could this potentially help to kick start the scoring of a Mittlestadt/Reinhart/Okposo, maybe, but it doesn't sound like that's the kind of thing people would expect from him.  Now if you were to suggest bringing him up to spark the powerplay, that might be a bit more interesting.  I can't see them doing that though.

The last thing they want to do right now is to stunt his growth.  There's a greater chance of that if he's called up for middle of the lineup shifts right now.  They're going to play the odds and keep him where he is right now, hoping that player of the month turns into player of the quarter/half season.

• Like (+1) 1

Olofsson cannot be considered a finish product even at his age because this is year, nay month 1 on NA ice. I'd give him a little more than 10 games. If he's still rolling at the 20 or better yet 30 game mark than sure, bring him up. 

You are right, Tage needs the AHL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:
Bill Hoppe @BillHoppeNHL 10m10 minutes ago
#Amerks winger/#SabresBuffaloSabresNHL.png prospect Victor Olofsson has been named the AHL's Player of the Month for October. My recent story for @TBNSports on his journey to #Rochester and his scorching start:

Interesting that Bill wrote an article for The Buffalo News. I guess he's a freelancer now (or maybe always was?).

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Interesting that Bill wrote an article for The Buffalo News. I guess he's a freelancer now (or maybe always was?).

I seem to recall reading somewhere (on this forum maybe) that Hoppe has a small gig writing for the Sabres and is still primarily writing for the Olean Times-Herald.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson cannot be considered a finish product even at his age because this is year, nay month 1 on NA ice. I'd give him a little more than 10 games. If he's still rolling at the 20 or better yet 30 game mark than sure, bring him up. 

Chris Taylor and Jason Botterill agree with you 

Victor needs time in AHL, we need to take care of him and grow him into what we need him to be. 15 points in AHL isnt 15 points in NHL
I would love to see him in Buffalo now because ive litterly watched this kid from juniors all the way  up to MODO and SHL. Give him time to grow and he will eventually be ready for the big league.

Anyway, this

According to LetsGoAmerks.com, it's the first time a Sabres prospect has been named AHL Player of the Month since Mark Mancari won the award for Portland in January 2011"

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Y’all are acting like any call up is a permenant. It isn’t.  Let’s get a look and see how he does.  

He will probably get his shot, ive never said permenantly, i just believe he isnt ready yet, but what do i know right .. 
They have a good chemistry down in Rochester aswell, something that is most important for players to grow on american soil. 

I just dont hope we fk his mojo up by bringing him up to early. 

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree, in December after he has played another month in NA. 

31 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

He will probably get his shot, ive never said permenantly, i just believe he isnt ready yet, but what do i know right .. 
They have a good chemistry down in Rochester aswell, something that is most important for players to grow on american soil. 

I just dont hope we fk his mojo up by bringing him up to early. 

Admittedly Jbot has only recalled players for injury purpose (usually older prospects or vets) and kids at the end of the year.  However those Sabres teams stunk and the goal of this organization is for the Sabres to win.  Winning in Rochester is important, but it's not the same.  The Sabres are winning right now but it is not sustainable without secondary scoring.  There are three ways to find secondary scoring in season; 1) bring up a top prospect from the minors or 2) trade prospects for proven NHLers. The 3rd way is to move someone like Reinhart for another team's version of Sam and see if the change of scenary helps both players.  I'd rather try some of the kids and see what they can do.  Nylander, Smith, VO etc... need to get a look to see if they are ready and to also see if they give the Sabres a lift. 

The beauty of this plan is that guys like TT or even Casey can be sent down to replace the recalled player(s) and to help get them going and rebuild their confidence.  Frankly if VO comes up and TT goes down, I suspect Rochester  will still keep humming along.  

There is also no such thing as bringing someone up to early unless it is a permanent recall.  The kids want to test themselves against the big boys and find out if they are ready and the team needs to see what they still need to work on.  I've said this before, but we need to reward the players for good play in Rochester and we need to test the waters.  It's time to start the process and VO seems like a great place to start.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.