GDT: Sabres at Arizona 10/13/18, 9pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

To sum up last night.  

The Sabres remain above 500 at 3-2.

Our No. 1 pick Daz, scores a his first NHL goal after making a good play on defense getting the puck quickly up ice and then skates the 200 feet to clean up the rebound on the other end while lifting Brad Richardson’s stick.  Not bad.

Our Top LW acquisition, Jeff Skinner, plays and excellent game, scores a goal, his first as a Sabre, on a heads up play and gets an assist on Daz’s 1st by making a great deke on the the D and G.

Our other top LW acquistion, Conor Sheary, fits Jack like a glove and scores his 3rd of the season.

Lastly our properly developed goalie prospect, Linus Ullmark, earns his 1st NHL shutout and looks stellar doing it.  

Overall a pretty good night winning 3-0 in our 1st road game. Also a solid rebound for the team as a whole after the crappy game against the Avs.  Nice work by the coaching staff  and players to rebound well after the 2 terrible games and earn 3 wins.  Now they just have to keep up the good work.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

To sum up last night.  

The Sabres remain above 500 at 3-2.

Our No. 1 pick Daz, scores a his first NHL goal after making a good play on defense getting the puck quickly up ice and then skates the 200 feet to clean up the rebound on the other end while lifting Brad Richardson’s stick.  Not bad.

Our Top LW acquisition, Jeff Skinner, plays and excellent game, scores a goal, his first as a Sabre, on a heads up play and gets an assist on Daz’s 1st by making a great deke on the the D and G.

Our other top LW acquistion, Conor Sheary, fits Jack like a glove and scores his 3rd of the season.

Lastly our properly developed goalie prospect, Linus Ullmark, earns his 1st NHL shutout and looks stellar doing it.  

Overall a pretty good night winning 3-0 in our 1st road game. Also a solid rebound for the team as a whole after the crappy game against the Avs.  Nice work by the coaching staff  and players to rebound well after the 2 terrible games and earn 3 wins.  Now they just have to keep up the good work.

Right on the moolah, GA !

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Hey.  I'll let drunk Hoss speak for himself.  The dynamite doesn't go "boom" on its own.

“Problem No. 2: NHL’s stats database currently features completely inaccurate/randomly generated numbers for team-level shot statistics.”

this was the crux of what I was getting at but I recall multiple articles on the subject that expand on how bad this was. It appeared as though they legit came up with numbers that had zero hold on reality.

Still drunk.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:45 PM, Brawndo said:

SHEARY 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:46 PM, Scottysabres said:

sheary has some shot control skill

On 10/13/2018 at 9:47 PM, Sabel79 said:

I actually like Dunleavy's call there... Oh Sheary!  

Reino's pass can not be overstated. Just uncanny.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

Hey.  I'll let drunk Hoss speak for himself.  The dynamite doesn't go "boom" on its own.

Yeh but Wild just pushed the leaver... Travis Jost told everyone where to set the charge...  Hoss maybe able to further explain how that charge was set... but the article Wild just linked is definitely a big boom.   I always wondered if even that stats were correct.  Always seemed to me there was a bit of a hometown bias especially on hits... and SOG varied from place to place as well.  QC does not seem to be part of the NHL's strengths.

Even with the NHL stats/game tracker, it seems like it would take an enormous effort per game to capture that.  In order not to miss something, my guess is that there would need to be at the least a three-person team, and there's have to be some coordination like "I got that hit" so the others keep watching and the next person records the next action - "I got that shot" - while the prior person is still writing down the hit and so on. 

Some data would be missed or inaccurate no matter what system is in place.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Even with the NHL stats/game tracker, it seems like it would take an enormous effort per game to capture that.  In order not to miss something, my guess is that there would need to be at the least a three-person team, and there's have to be some coordination like "I got that hit" so the others keep watching and the next person records the next action - "I got that shot" - while the prior person is still writing down the hit and so on. 

Some data would be missed or inaccurate no matter what system is in place.

Well said. I've never understood how all this precise data can emerge from an NHL game. Tell me how many giveaways, takeaways and hits result from the average scrum in the corner. What about everyone poking at a puck in the crease. How many shots?

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

God he's fun to watch. His skating is so smooth and effortless. 

For me, it's all the little things he does, the details.. that make it look like he's been playing for 15+ years.     So many little plays in tight areas, stick position, puck management... that are just perfectly executed.    Probably more noticeable because every other defenseman on the roster struggles in those areas.   

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

For me, it's all the little things he does, the details.. that make it look like he's been playing for 15+ years.     So many little plays in tight areas, stick position, puck management... that are just perfectly executed.    Probably more noticeable because every other defenseman on the roster struggles in those areas.   

It's what I took away most when I saw him play in person as well.

Posting about myself is pretty dumb, and egotistical, but I just wanted to talk for a second about this - GDTs are where emotions run high, so I have zero problem with Doohickie saying that to me, even though it felt like I did then. Stuff happens, and this sport injects adrenaline into our veins, it's why we watch it. We're cool, always were, always will be. 

But Doohickie is far from the only person to really get on me about stuff I post over the last little while, and this time and others, contextual posts surrounding these events, and distribution of "likes" indicate more of this sentiment as well. He didn't just get bothered for no reason. 

I live in the middle of a state with probably one ice rink, and I like hockey more than I like the only reason I'm in this state. As a result, I'm addicted to the only place where I can read and talk about hockey at the level we do. I'm going to keep pouring stuff out any chance I get, without any intervention. I try to make it a defining characteristic of who I am to remove all emotion from whatever it is that I'm thinking/talking about and to figure out the clearest picture of what is going on that I can (I do not claim to be successful), so I just don't notice and never will notice the tone of what spills out of my mouth. I'm not asking anyone to tell me that my posts are good/valuable or anything, but I'm not sure either that this is a place that I should be over-represented in the way I am sometimes when I get on a roll. What I mean by that is, sometimes I don't shut up and take up like 30% of the entire day's forum content (and plenty of this is not particularly good/useful). With the above points  taken into account, this seems inappropriate, and I dunno what I should do really. I created a blog page thing a while ago as an avenue to dump stuff off like this. I have thought about just releasing everything in my brain there. It's not something I would even want anyone to read, that's not super important, and I could still read this forum and others without tinging the board the way it appears that I might. 

Like I can't just change. I can't not think, and thus not post, that the 5 wide open nets and 45% increase in scoring chances allowed from our previous worst game, was a sketch performance, and possibly our worst actual hockey of the year (before Vegas heh), despite a 3-0 win. But it's clear that doesn't go well for more than just Doohickie. I have deep running fundamental problems with 95% of our defense, problems that I think are fatal, and so I'm going to talk about them a lot if not stopped. Things like that. But SS shouldn't be a place where everywhere you look is Flagg b!tching about the same thing he's said since April. So I'm thinking about backing off is all. Even though I'm cocky as hell that I'm right about the things I've said since April ??

IDK. Apologies for my role in the GDT discomfort in general anyway 

Edited by Randall Flagg

You have absolutely zero to apologize for.  Your opinion has its place here as much as anyone’s.  If someone gets upset because they have read your thoughts on the interwebs, it’s on them not you.  It’s not like you’ve put a personal attack on anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.