GDT Colorado Avs vs Buffalo Sabres 10-11-2018 at 7pm

jsb

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

If that is the culture of the NHL, that needs to change. Winning should always be the highest priority, regardless of what players you are using.

There's a difference between what's best to win *this current game* and other games down the road.  Larry is here, he's taking cap space.  He's been injured.  There's nothing wrong with HCPH playing him to see whether he will fit in with this year's team, and whether there is any chemistry there between Mitts and Tage.  It doesn't mean he'll be committing to Larsson over the long haul, it just means that it's early in the season and HCPH is doing some player evaluation.  Whether Larsson is part of the long term vision or not, you want to give him some minutes, if only to evaluate and showcase him for a possible trade.

I can't believe there's this much angst over the 12th forward.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's because we've tasted winning again, and seen the Sabres field a roster that can "compete".  We'd like that to keep up and actions to the contrary cause...angst.  Or, at least, that's how I see it.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

There's a difference between what's best to win *this current game* and other games down the road.  Larry is here, he's taking cap space.  He's been injured.  There's nothing wrong with HCPH playing him to see whether he will fit in with this year's team, and whether there is any chemistry there between Mitts and Tage.  It doesn't mean he'll be committing to Larsson over the long haul, it just means that it's early in the season and HCPH is doing some player evaluation.  Whether Larsson is part of the long term vision or not, you want to give him some minutes, if only to evaluate and showcase him for a possible trade.

It might have something to do with the fact that 70% of our top 12 was made up of "12th forwards" last few years.  

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would sacrifice the top knuckle of my pinky finger to secure this win. I really would. 

Sacrificing limbs is a slippery slope.

Sure, at first you tell yourself it doesn't hurt that much, and the technology is available to replace them. Next thing you know, you're giving up limbs left and right just for some form of high ground (moral, literal, or otherwise). Then, you're just a suit-bound minifig drinking from your goblet and engaging on hockey message boards. A slippery slope....

• Haha (+1) 2

The team concept is not much different than your work environment

1. The new guy comes in, tie is in place, shirt is ironed, jacket is custom fitted but in reality he hasn't done squat yet
  2. The older employee hasn't been the best or worst guy but he's been thru the bankruptcy issues and he's promised to turn a leaf
  3. Do you fire the older employee or give him one last chance to prove himself with a new and better crew??
  4. That's the culture of the NHL in a nutshell, you may not like it but if you were the older employee do you want one more chance to prove yourself??

It's not that the boss is an idiot, it's not that the boss only likes older employees, it may just be the boss is trying to be fair and make a good decision on this guy for the good of his team and his employee.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jsb said:

The team concept is not much different than your work environment

1. The new guy comes in, tie is in place, shirt is ironed, jacket is custom fitted but in reality he hasn't done squat yet
  2. The older employee hasn't been the best or worst guy but he's been thru the bankruptcy issues and he's promised to turn a leaf
  3. Do you fire the older employee or give him one last chance to prove himself with a new and better crew??
  4. That's the culture of the NHL in a nutshell, you may not like it but if you were the older employee do you want one more chance to prove yourself??

It's not that the boss is an idiot, it's not that the boss only likes older employees, it may just be the boss is trying to be fair and make a good decision on this guy for the good of his team and his employee.

The analogy is weak in the face of the other people who are gone.  Larsson has had the same amount of time with HCPH's system as ROR did.

5 minutes ago, ... said:

The analogy is weak in the face of the other people who are gone.  Larsson has had the same amount of time with HCPH's system as ROR did.

Sorry if I'm wrong but ROR isn't on the team anymore, he didn't get fired, he got upgraded.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It what way was ROR upgraded? 

Berglund, Sobotka, Thompson a 1st

Plus we presently have a better record than we ever had with him on the team. Yes I know it's early

Attitude in the locker room seems like it's done a 180 since he's been gone which is addition by subtraction in my book.

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Berglund and Sobotka are downgrades. Thompson is currently a possible future upgrade and the 1st is nothing currently. We downgraded the talent for now. The locker room is probably right. 

Berglund, Sobotka and Thompson are upgrades over Pouliot, Nolan, Baptiste, Griffith, Josephson, etc.. No, none of them are better than ROR but the addition of upgraded talent throughout the bottom of the roster helps more than having ROR in the line-up without them, attempting to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.