GDT Colorado Avs vs Buffalo Sabres 10-11-2018 at 7pm

jsb

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Tonight Pominville ties Ric Seiling and Mike Foligno for 10th most games played for the Sabres in franchise history. 

Who would have thunk such a thing would be possible when he was waived those 12+ years ago.  Awesome.  He is a good soldier.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean... we have some solid evidence from the last year he favors his veteran players. 

This is what I'm talking about.  Someone said on Twitter "Larsson is to Housley what Peterman is to McDermott".  I agree and it's stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean... we have some solid evidence from the last year he favors his veteran players. 

I would not have replied as I did if pi had posted: "They only reason he's playing is because Phil is too nice and wants favors to give veterans players a chance to play."

39 minutes ago, ... said:

None of this matters.  Elie was put in and they played better than they have played in years.  Is Elie the sole reason for that?  Of course not, can we not be slightly more sophisticated than this?  If the line-up is winning games, handily, you don't change them.  This is the same argument for not starting the backup even though it's his turn on the calendar.  

Why are there stats that follow when such-and-such a player is on a line or on the ice the team does X?  If old school coaching practices matter more, then what's the use of stats like that?

I'd like to see a good  reason for starting Larsson other than he's been around and can win half of his faceoffs.  Seems to me they did better without him (and with Elie in the lineup) and faceoffs weren't a particular issue in the last two wins.

Well, the bolded is a leap too far, IMHO.  They've won 2 games, the first of which was primarily due to Hutton's terrific play.  They look much better than last year, but that's really not saying much.  And there have been plenty of shaky moments in the defensive zone, more than a few of which were contributed by the line that Larsson is joining -- which I think is the good reason (at least in Howie's perspective) you are looking for.

We'll see.  I'd rather keep Elie in too, but it's not crazy to give Larsson a look.

14 minutes ago, ... said:

This is what I'm talking about.  Someone said on Twitter "Larsson is to Housley what Peterman is to McDermott".  I agree and it's stupid.

...except the impact on the team by Larsson is nowhere near as significant as the impact by Peterman.

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

no. 

Buffalo SabresVerified account @BuffaloSabres 25m25 minutes ago
MoreCoach Housley on Larsson: "He's worked his way back into the lineup. We want to give him a game. Hopefully he can contribute offensively as well."

Well, he does score 1 goal every 20 games... maybe tonight is the night!    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

He won 55% of his faceoffs last season, and the Sabres are 20th in the league and well under 50% this season. Maybe Phil cares about such stuff.

54.46% does not round up to 55% in any reasonable math system.

Prior to last season he was sub 50% for his career. 

Agree though that perhaps Housley thinks one extra faceoff win every other game is meaningful enough to cover for Larsson's other deficiencies that manifest themselves the other 99% of time he's on the ice when it's not a faceoff.  

• Like (+1) 1

The board seems to be over-reacting to the presence of Larsson in tonight's line-up, but, as a discussion board what other avenue do we have aside from picking apart every detail?

My level-headed lukewarm take of the day will be "win or lose, Larssons presence in the line-up will not be responsible for the outcome of the game." In my eyes he's no different than Sobotka or Elie. Do I want him on the roster? No, but I'm not about to crucify Phil for giving him a game at the beginning of the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

among my very favourite memories of watching the tee-vee when i was younger: seeing/hearing Mr. Food close his segment on doing perfect blueberry (??) muffins by declaring: "You ain't seen nothin, 'til you're down on the muffin! ... Ooooo it's so good."

However, a quick internet search has me wondering whether that's an imagined memory.

It's a good one. Keep it regardless of the facts. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Yes. 

You can continue to ignore the body of evidence that is the history of how the NHL operates or not.  It doesn't matter to me.  This is not my opinion, this is what happens. The business aspects of handling roster assets often interfere with what the "BEST" line up is on the ice.

Arguing with me will not change that.

If that is the culture of the NHL, that needs to change. Winning should always be the highest priority, regardless of what players you are using.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ... said:

I've heard that from my wife.

Awesome.?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

really? i am thankful for that.

if it happened, it is bizarre that the internet doesn't have evidence of this.

I think you may have missed something here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.