The Insomnia Thread

Eleven

Here's the hypnagogic Housley interview....

* duration: 10:34

* Published: 10/9/18 4:30:00 AM

* Episode Download link (10 MB): https://omnystudio.com/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/c1d556e8-24a7-4bbb-b7ad-a92b00371872/ead855e3-3806-495b-9ea3-a97400c20e2c/audio.mp3

* Show Notes: https://wgr550.radio.com/media/podcast/howard-and-jeremy

* Episode feed: Howard and Jeremy - https://wgr550.radio.com/podcast/881/rss.xml?update=2

On 10/11/2018 at 11:53 AM, darksabre said:

Anxiety and existential despair have been keeping me up at night lately. Definitely time to see a therapist. 

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I tried to wean myself off of antidepressants. Bad call. Don't be afraid to seek any kind of therapy, medicinal or otherwise. It's so much better than the alternative.

Ironically, this was during hockey season, and the 2nd season of the Sabres under Bylsma were my therapy; even when they were playing crappy they gave me a distraction as well as a reminder of how much I enjoy seeing them play in KBC. Before they basically gave up after the break, they held a special place in my heart.

I haven't read this entire thread. But, I sleep like a baby. It might have something to do with the fact that I still sleep on a full wave waterbed, when I get on a full mattress bed, I can't sleep to save my life. 

Regardless, one major thing I have heard puts people to sleep is to leave the TV on, but keep it at a very low volume so you're concentrating on what is being said. Once you are focused on what is being said, instead of trying to figure out why you can't sleep.......... you've fallen asleep. 

If you can't sleep, you need a distraction. If you can't sleep and you are in a pitch black room with no sound, you'll never fall asleep. 

Oh, I can sleep in a pitch black room with no sound... it is wonderful.  My work schedule screws up my sleep patterns and having two adolescent boys.   I yearn for quiet peace and no noise... can and do sleep like a log when as infrequently as that happens.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I haven't read this entire thread. But, I sleep like a baby. It might have something to do with the fact that I still sleep on a full wave waterbed, when I get on a full mattress bed, I can't sleep to save my life. 

Regardless, one major thing I have heard puts people to sleep is to leave the TV on, but keep it at a very low volume so you're concentrating on what is being said. Once you are focused on what is being said, instead of trying to figure out why you can't sleep.......... you've fallen asleep. 

If you can't sleep, you need a distraction. If you can't sleep and you are in a pitch black room with no sound, you'll never fall asleep. 

I fall asleep listening to some tv show every single night. Usually to some educational type program with monotone narration (something like Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, or How the Universe Works narrated by Mike Rowe). Most tvs even have a setting where you can shut the screen off but the program and volume stay on and now that it's easy to stream stuff using a Roku or Firestick you don't even have to worry about a random commercial that's 10 times louder than the program waking you up. It's awesome.

The other things I'd highly recommend are dropping the thermostat down into the 60's and getting some sort of cooling pad for your pillow. I usually don't have any trouble sleeping since I set my programmable thermostat to 67 degrees before bed and using whatever cooling gel pad pillow topper that my girlfriend bought me last b-day/xmas or whenever she got it for me. They are comfortable enough at room temperature but you can also stick them in the fridge or freezer to get them really cold if needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I personally need some sort of sound or else my ears fill the void themselves. Whenever I try to go to bed in a completely silent room, my ears start ringing which makes it impossible to fall asleep. Something as simple as a low hum of a fan on will do the trick now that I've cut cable and don't fall asleep with the tv on. 

As for light, I can sleep with a small amount of light leaking in from outside or in a pitch black room. My only issue with the pitch black room is sometimes when I wake up at night I'm in a lucid state and think I'm seeing things that aren't there (there have been some weird ones). So preferably I normally leave one of my window shades opened slightly, that way if I wake up at night there's enough brightness in the room to get my bearings.

• 3 months later...

And we're back.  Last night sucked and it looks like we're going into day 2.  Luckily, Monday is off, so if worse comes to worst, I'll just take a million pills and rest.  But right now?

I JUST WANT TO SLEEP.

I don't really care about the Canucks.

I WANT TO SLEEP.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

NyQuil and Yukon Jack 

Umm, neither drugs nor liquor are available at the moment.  I suppose I could go to Walgreens and a bar, but no.  I'm just going to annoy the hell out of you via text if I can't sleep after the second period.  And if you mute me, I'll just annoy Josie instead. And then she'll annoy you.  Actually, maybe that should be Plan A.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Umm, neither drugs nor liquor are available at the moment.  I suppose I could go to Walgreens and a bar, but no.  I'm just going to annoy the hell out of you via text if I can't sleep after the second period.  And if you mute me, I'll just annoy Josie instead. And then she'll annoy you.  Actually, maybe that should be Plan A.

Josie is already passed out on the couch. She's dead to the world lol 

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Josie is already passed out on the couch. She's dead to the world lol 

1.  What did you do to her?

2.  You think I can't get over there in some sort of pizza guy disguise and still annoy you two?

Also, I did just open up a new can of grapefruit soda water, so I have that going for me.

Just now, Eleven said:

2.  You think I can't get over there in some sort of pizza guy disguise and still annoy you two?

We already had pizza tonight so that's not gonna work. 

She's had a busy week and today was crazy at work. I told her to go to bed but she's trying to be a good Sabres fan haha 

Just now, darksabre said:

We already had pizza tonight so that's not gonna work. 

She's had a busy week and today was crazy at work. I told her to go to bed but she's trying to be a good Sabres fan haha 

SO many reasons why I like her more than you...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Once I realized that the world will go on without me (in fact, it doesn't give a ***** about me, and I'm fine with it), I sleep like a baby every night.

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:07 PM, SwampD said:

Once I realized that the world will go on without me (in fact, it doesn't give a ***** about me, and I'm fine with it), I sleep like a baby every night.

Does this mean you wake up several times during the night crying? You piss and ***** yourself? Both?

No judgement, mind you. We've all been there.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Does this mean you wake up several times during the night crying? You piss and ***** yourself? Both?

No judgement, mind you. We've all been there.

Doubt he’s there yet... give it time... when he starts going off on tangents in mid sentence then we will know... oh wait...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Did you watch the Super Bowl?  That would have done it, apparently.

Seriously thought, sorry you are having this issue and it seems to be ongoing, which makes me sad.

Nah I just resume a trial today is all.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.