The Insomnia Thread

Eleven

So, SabreSpace, why are you still up?  I can't freaking sleep.

MODO, I swear, if you respond "because it's morning over here," I'll never drive you to your hotel room and back so that you can get your game ticket that you forgot, ever again.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

I just found an episode of Cheers where Diane said "less" when she should have said "fewer."  It's season 4, episode 23 for those who are interested.  It's roughly halfway in.

I think I seen that one and noticed it too.

BBC World Service. You will thank me next time, the morning after.

49 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Stop drinking coffee after 1PM.

I don't drink coffee.  I can't really have caffeine.  I can drink maybe half of a can of Coke once in a while.

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I seen that one and noticed it too.

BBC World Service. You will thank me next time, the morning after.

Good call.

I tend to be an insomniac. 

Unfortunately, the only thing that reliably works is bombing myself out with NyQuil if it's bad. Or Zzzquil (which I know is just overpriced benedryl- i use the wegmans brand- throw that branding placebo effect in there). I tried melatonin for awhile- just gave me crazy bad dreams, didn't help me sleep. 

But less druggy things that work- I know they say "don't look at a screen an hour before bed" but I ritually read wikipedia or askreddit threads in night mode on my phone in bed until my eyelids get heavy. Sometimes takes awhile. But I fall asleep faster than if I just try to zonk out. No naps. If it's a heavy workout day, need a few hours after to wind down, or else my body's too active/keyed up to chill. I'll also try to meditate/mindfullness/think about banal things- tense up every muscle in my body (which is when I find out I'm already tensing all of my muscles anyways) and release them head to toe, slowly. Breathe slowly. Try not to freak out that the alarm clock's unwelcome song is hurtling towards me in time and space. 

But yeah, I'm all ears. 

2 hours ago, josie said:

Unfortunately, the only thing that reliably works is bombing myself out with NyQuil if it's bad. Or Zzzquil (which I know is just overpriced benedryl- i use the wegmans brand- throw that branding placebo effect in there).

I did that in HS. 

I've been lucky to escape insomnia since then, though.

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, josie said:

Unfortunately, the only thing that reliably works is bombing myself out with NyQuil if it's bad. Or Zzzquil (which I know is just overpriced benedryl- i use the wegmans brand- throw that branding placebo effect in there). I tried melatonin for awhile- just gave me crazy bad dreams, didn't help me sleep. 

But less druggy things that work- I know they say "don't look at a screen an hour before bed" but I ritually read wikipedia or askreddit threads in night mode on my phone in bed until my eyelids get heavy. Sometimes takes awhile. But I fall asleep faster than if I just try to zonk out. No naps. If it's a heavy workout day, need a few hours after to wind down, or else my body's too active/keyed up to chill. I'll also try to meditate/mindfullness/think about banal things- tense up every muscle in my body (which is when I find out I'm already tensing all of my muscles anyways) and release them head to toe, slowly. Breathe slowly. Try not to freak out that the alarm clock's unwelcome song is hurtling towards me in time and space. 

But yeah, I'm all ears. 

I believe melatonin only helps people to fall asleep, not stay asleep. 

The doc gave me a muscle relaxer to try and help me sleep, which it did, but then I’d be sluggish for the first few hours in the morning. 

Using night shift on my phone has helped. It eliminates the blue light our phones emit. The blue light makes our brains think it’s still daylight, which in turn tells the body not to produce the natural melatonin that helps us fall asleep.

Another insomniac here.  A good night is 5 hours.  I haven't had a good night all week.

I do have trouble falling asleep.  Solitaire on the phone in night mode usually does the trick.  Problem is, I usually wake in the early morning hours, and once I'm up there is no drifting back.  I've been getting into work by 5:30 all week because I might as well drive in.  It's a 50 minute commute.  And I take my time getting ready when I can't sleep. 

Maybe I should be a dairy farmer....

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.