Thoughts On Tage Thompson So Far?

bob_sauve28

13 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

IMO, he will 'struggle' early on until he finds his groove and the right line mates. 

One thing i noticed about the Vegas game is that Mittelstadt and Thompson had hardly any offensive zone faceoffs, did anyone else notice that?  I wouldve thought that line would be used more offensively than defensively, but, it really didn't seem that way. 

Wasn't paying close attention to who they were out against (was working w/ the game as background noise primarily) but expect that was more a function of matchups than intentionally limiting their O-zone time.

That line would've been eaten alive by Karlsson's line.

4 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Sure, but in the year 2018, I would call that fantastically stupid advice.

I think it was Brett Hull who, when asked about playing sound defensive hockey, told his coach something like "Do you want me to play defense or score 50 goals?"   

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, nucci said:

Why? Hockey has become so boring....the league needs to get back to the days of 6-4 scores....

That would require a rules change. My idea is to get rid of the off sides at blue line when attacking, but once in the zone the defense could clear it and the attacking players would have to leave the zone, but after that, they could just return whether the puck was over the line or not. I don't know if that would work, but would like to see it tried. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

You know goal scoring is way up so far YTD!

it's because of the slimmed down chest protectors.  

i've been saying it for years... you want to increase scoring?  reduce the size of the chest protectors.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

it's because of the slimmed down chest protectors.  

i've been saying it for years... you want to increase scoring?  reduce the size of the chest protectors.

Reducing the size of goalie equipment has helped.  I think the league moving toward younger faster and more skilled players, especially in D, with coaches coaching to a more attacking style has also helped.

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reducing the size of goalie equipment has helped.  I think the league moving toward younger faster and more skilled players, especially in D, with coaches coaching to a more attacking style has also helped.

I'd like to see a year over year graph of league wide shooting percentage... @Randall Flagg @TrueBlueGED ?  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I found an unverified source but they only did through 2016. 

The eighties, baby!  The decade was more than MTV.

And, if you’ll suffer my synthesized musings, I turn to video.  Just like MTV with the Ruggles and Video Killed the Radio Star, we have the NHL with Roger Neilson and Captain Video Killed the NHL Star.

There are successful refinements toward desired outcomes that make the product less joyful.  Here’s to formica laminate, rayon, and the neutral zone trap.

Edited by Neo

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I know sv% was not down last year. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html 

A small sample size, but sv% is at a 12 year low.     Let's see if that continues. 

Also, PP% is at 32 year high at 22%.   The last time PP% was at the 22% mark was in 1985-86.... 

Edited by pi2000

4 hours ago, Neo said:

And, if you’ll suffer my synthesized musings, I turn to video.  Just like MTV with the Ruggles and Video Killed the Radio Star, we have the NHL with Roger Neilson and Captain Video Killed the NHL Star.

There are successful refinements toward desired outcomes that make the product less joyful.  Here’s to formica laminate, rayon, and the neutral zone trap.

Ban the butterfly. ?

make the keepers stand like they did for 80 years and a billion goals were scored. 

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

Ban the butterfly. ?

make the keepers stand like they did for 80 years and a billion goals were scored. 

I remember Patrick Roy in 1986 ...  and the evolution / revolution that followed.  Good point.

16 hours ago, Neo said:

And, if you’ll suffer my synthesized musings, I turn to video.  Just like MTV with the RBuggles and Video Killed the Radio Star, we have the NHL with Roger Neilson and Captain Video Killed the NHL Star.

Awesome!!

I will even ignore the typo.

And it was 1979 ...

On 10/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

It's only a few games but he seems like a unique athlete. "Mrs Gump, your boy is different." 

I dont mean that in a bad way. So tall, yet he is pretty quick, and has good hands. He looks like he needs to get a little thicker, though. I see why Jbot wanted him and can really see him developing into a dominant two way center. He isn't there yet, though. But having a hulking center out there controlling the middle of the ice for the next six or so years is a nice thought. I like him so far for the potential. 

Your momma sure does care about your playing time.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:18 PM, woods-racer said:

I really like to watch Tage play.

Every time there's a little open ice and just 2 defenders I picture him looking at a team mate and saying *hold my beer*.

It's always fun to watch.

I get the feeling he is going to be a difficult power forward someday.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.