Thoughts On Tage Thompson So Far?

bob_sauve28

It's only a few games but he seems like a unique athlete. "Mrs Gump, your boy is different." 

I dont mean that in a bad way. So tall, yet he is pretty quick, and has good hands. He looks like he needs to get a little thicker, though. I see why Jbot wanted him and can really see him developing into a dominant two way center. He isn't there yet, though. But having a hulking center out there controlling the middle of the ice for the next six or so years is a nice thought. I like him so far for the potential. 

IMO, he will 'struggle' early on until he finds his groove and the right line mates. 

One thing i noticed about the Vegas game is that Mittelstadt and Thompson had hardly any offensive zone faceoffs, did anyone else notice that?  I wouldve thought that line would be used more offensively than defensively, but, it really didn't seem that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Big, noticeable, fun to watch... that one shift the other night had the crowd in a veritable tizzy. Sorry, Wild, blame my Word of the Day calendar.

Good catch. What a circus that was. The crowd loved it (although I'm not sure how ... efficacious or even well-advised all of it was). He was positively Afinogenov-like on that shift.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Good insight.  Got the young guys working on defense first and a 200 foot game.  I like it and they seem to figuring it out.

I remember when i was younger and Punch Imlach told Perreault and Martin to not worry about defense. Your job is to score goals. I miss those days.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Big, noticeable, fun to watch... that one shift the other night had the crowd in a veritable tizzy. Sorry, Wild, blame my Word of the Day calendar.

Gotta try and little harder 

As for Thompson, I haven't really noticed him. Hoping to see him shoot it more because that's what his best skill is. Has he been on the 2nd pp yet?

I think he has a lot of potential. We haven't had a good forward this size since Paul Gaustad. I think he is a lot faster and has more potential than that of course.

When you consider Bergland is 6' 4 that is a couple forwards bigger than all our defense men except Risto.   

Makes me wonder what a Bergland, Tage and Remi line might look like assuming the old guy could keep up....

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Each time I see him, Tyler Myers pops into mind immediately.  That's probably a clear sign that he needs to add a little more muscle to his frame over time.

Both him and Dhalin need to add about 25-30 lbs of muscle imo.  But expect it to happen over the next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I look at Dahlin and I agree.  But I watch him play and I think he doesn't need it; he already plays over his weight.

Oh I agree, but some more muscle will help him in front of the net and in close quarters. His skating makes up for much of it, but not all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

He needs more time in the A. I like him a lot more than I thought but he needs to work on some things.

I agree with this. I really don't think he's an NHL player right now. That doesn't mean I think he's played horribly, but I think we all want him to be a legitimate contributor, and that might be something he can better develop getting big AHL minutes than down the NHL depth chart. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I agree with this. I really don't think he's an NHL player right now. That doesn't mean I think he's played horribly, but I think we all want him to be a legitimate contributor, and that might be something he can better develop getting big AHL minutes than down the NHL depth chart. 

Feel the same for Mittlestadt and Nylander. Honestly, of the 3, I thought Nylander was the one that deserved the start with the big club.  

• Like (+1) 2

Does TT really have good hands?  I like his shot and his skating is better than I was expecting, but his hands have not been good.  Several times he's lost the puck while trying to deke and has made some bad turnovers.  At this point I'm still chalking it up to nerves, but if he doesn't settle things down he might end up in Rochester before New Year's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.