Thoughts On Tage Thompson So Far?

bob_sauve28

Not sure being on a line with Berglund and svobotka is best for him. Still would like to see nylander on left with erod at centre and Thompson right. Berglund 4th centre with pommer and svbotka. Also want to see CJ Smith get his shot and oloffson and asplund at some point. 

14 hours ago, Dank Dangleson said:

Waiting for his balls to drop...the kid is soft like charmin, especially for his size.

Your words so fit your name and remind me of all the chatterboxes who play EASports NHL series.

He's undersized right now and that's the problem.  He may be tall, but he's a feather.  He'll need to add 15lbs to really get formidable and i hope he can do it.  He's 20 years old so if he doesn't get a little more muscle mass soon he might want to think about a career in beach volleyball.

Thoughts on the kid so far...….

Has a very good reach, when he uses it.

Brings a great deal of surprise with his foot work.

Needs to learn to use his body size more effectively along the boards and open ice, but he is learning on the fly, will re-visit in Jan. if he's still on the roster.

Not a ton of speed there, but does seem to use his foot work to counter that to some extent, needs to learn to use his team mates on the ice more effectively, especially positioning and timing. Also, hangs the puck out there to long, must get quicker in getting rid of it to team mates, which reverts back to first sentence.

Not great on the back check, will need a defensively responsible center with speed to play with, Asplund when he comes up perhaps? Not sure, but he does need assistance in that dept. for sure in my opinion.

Over all I am optimistic we have a decent to potentially very good 3rd line LW'er here. At the very least a future 3/4 tweener with potential to shift up and down the left wing of the line up when needed. Should be developing his PK skills.

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

He has a shot but doesn't really use it. No meat on the bone for me. He needs to beef up. He's really not adding much at this point for me. He needs seasoning in the A and a weight plan. 

Taylor Pyatt part deux

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

He has a shot but doesn't really use it. No meat on the bone for me. He needs to beef up. He's really not adding much at this point for me. He needs seasoning in the A and a weight plan. 

Get him on a 5 meal a day plan plus a pint to half gallon of ice cream...

• Haha (+1) 1

He needs to go to Rochester and someone else needs to come up. He's not ready and I would bet Nylander or Olofsson would actually perform better. 

I always feel like the players get to Buffalo and suddenly they are in their own heads. Idk if that is coaching or something else. 

44 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

*Dons tinfoil hat*

If Thompson wasn't acquired by Botterill, would he have made the team out of camp, let alone still be on the team? 

*calmly removes hat*

Seriously though, I think it's pretty clear he could use some time in Rochester. Wonder if he gets sent down after the trip. 

I just wonder if this is going to turn into a Kane with Eichel situation where everyone knows it ain't working but it took this org 18 months to figure it out. 

Of course by then, it'll be too late with Tage and games played to be sent down. They better do it soon. It's hurting him and the team.

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

I just wonder if this is going to turn into a Kane with Eichel situation where everyone knows it ain't working but it took this org 18 months to figure it out. 

Of course by then, it'll be too late with Tage and games played to be sent down. They better do it soon. It's hurting him and the team.

He is young, needs more weight, gets knocked off puck too easily.  I think the more analgous situation is Nylander, who came back stronger, bigger and can now take a hit. Send him to Rochester and let him get back on track and feed the kid...food lots of it and then have him hit the gym.

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

That's the key, like liger says he's in his own head. That's how you kill prospects 

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Two more games on the road trip and then it'll be time to see if they'll actually do anything.  They're going to avoid transactions while out west unless absolutely necessary (ie. injuries).

10 hours ago, shrader said:

Two more games on the road trip and then it'll be time to see if they'll actually do anything.  They're going to avoid transactions while out west unless absolutely necessary (ie. injuries).

This.

If you think he's got demons dancing in his head right now, imagine how much worse they'll be if he flies direct from LA to Ra-cha-cha rather than flying back to Buffalo with the team after the Anaheim game.  Swap him and Smith, Nylander, or Olofsson after the team gets back to town unless he tears up the OC.

I think sometimes that if we play an outdoor game the wind could blow him over.

Big frame, scrawny kid. Long reach and a decent shot but looks awkward with the tall skinny body more than anything else. If he developed some physicality he might become a good player, but as it is, just another scrub destined to become a trivia answer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.