Tallinder Retires From Hockey

WildCard

I will always remember Hank for two things.  He broke an arm in the deus ex machina 2006 ECF and he paired with Tyler Myers during Myers’ Calder year.  

Teppo, Dmitri, and Jay went down.  Then Hank.  I was looking through the attic for my old Bauers  believing I would be signed if one more defenseman was injured.

Myers had what I call the greatest rookie year any Sabre’d ever had, even considering Perreault and Barrasso, and Hank was no small part of it.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, Neo said:

I will always remember Hank for two things.  He broke an arm in the deus ex machina 2006 ECF and he paired with Tyler Myers during Myers’ Calder year.  

Teppo, Dmitri, and Jay went down.  Then Hank.  I was looking through the attic for my old Bauers  believing I would be signed if one more defenseman was injured.

Myers had what I call the greatest rookie year any Sabre’d ever had, even considering Perreault and Barrasso, and Hank was no small part of it.

Barrasso won the Calder and the Vezina his rookie year. It does not get any better than that. Myers was really good his rookie year but not in the same atmosphere as Barrasso. But I do see where you could feel that way. I grew up watching Barrasso, and I will never forget my first thoughts about watching him play, I thought him of a more athletic and larger Billy Smith. He was great his rookie year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, stenbaro said:

Barrasso won the Calder and the Vezina his rookie year. It does not get any better than that. Myers was really good his rookie year but not in the same atmosphere as Barrasso. But I do see where you could feel that way. I grew up watching Barrasso, and I will never forget my first thoughts about watching him play, I thought him of a more athletic and larger Billy Smith. He was great his rookie year.

Do you know why Barrasso was traded? I was away from Buffalo at the time and was sad to hear he was gone. 

2 hours ago, stenbaro said:

Now you’ve done it.  You’ve touched a memory!

I took a New Jersey Path train into Manhattan years ago to attend a Kaplan LSAT preparation class.  Young men and women arrived at class clutching text prep workbooks under their arms.  Those already in the room had the books open and were working through questions as we waited for the instructor to arrive.  They were earnest and focused.

I arrived with The Hockey News rolled up under my arm.  Barrasso was on the cover.  I’d read an article on Tom while on the train into the city.

I suspect many of my fellow students are practicing, today.  The closest I got to Law School was watching LA Law on television.

Priorities, aptitudes, talents and self selection.  The market clears itself ...

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

I took a New Jersey Path train into Manhattan years ago to attend a Kaplan LSAT preparation class.  Young men and women arrived at class clutching text prep workbooks under their arms.  Those already in the room had the books open and were working through questions as we waited for the instructors to arrive.  They were earnest and focused.

I arrived with The Hockey News rolled up under my arm.  Barrasso was on the cover.  I’d read an article on Tom while on the train into the city.

I suspect many of my fellow students are practicing, today.  The closest I got to Law School was watching LA Law on television.

Priorities, aptitudes, talents and self selection.  The market clears itself ...

The mixtures of emotion that reading this on sabrespace while in the physics office gave me are quite entertaining 

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

I took a New Jersey Path train into Manhattan years ago to attend a Kaplan LSAT preparation class.  Young men and women arrived at class clutching text prep workbooks under their arms.  Those already in the room had the books open and were working through questions as we waited for the instructor to arrive.  They were earnest and focused.

Noice Neo, don’t feel bad... took my LSAT and scored a 36.  Still didnt feel I was anal enough a writer to pursue law and never applied despite getting a couple invites.  In hindsight it was a good thing and I remember that Barasso front page... Also remember watching that slow mo hit on Hank seeing his arm caught hoping it was just a shoulder... sad day.

5 hours ago, Neo said:

I remember buying and reading that Hockey news and being really pumped up that we had a good one coming in. Talked a buddy into picking him in his pool at school and he won the pool largely on Toms shutouts his rookie year. Thats how I remember it. It was a long time ago.

First five ...Lawton, Sylvain Turgen, LaFontain, Yzerman and Barrasso ...

Later, Neely, Gagne and others.   The Sabres had three firsts.  Barrasso, Norm Lacombe and Adam Creighton.

1983 ...  not just quarterbacks.

edit to add, after GoogleoOOogling.   Puppa, Ruuttu and Krupp ...  quite a draft.   Saw Puppa last weekend, by the way.  He’s hard to miss!

Edited by Neo

18 hours ago, Neo said:

First five ...Lawton, Sylvain Turgen, LaFontain, Yzerman and Barrasso ...

Later, Neely, Gagne and others.   The Sabres had three firsts.  Barrasso, Norm Lacombe and Adam Creighton.

1983 ...  not just quarterbacks.

edit to add, after GoogleoOOogling.   Puppa, Ruuttu and Krupp ...  quite a draft.   Saw Puppa last weekend, by the way.  He’s hard to miss!

Hindsight being 20/20....Too bad we didnt package 2 of those to move up annd grab Stevie Y..LOL....Bowman had some really good first round spots to choose from. He hit on a few greats ones but missed on a couple also. I really thought we would win a Cup with all those picks...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.