GDT LV Golden Knights vs Sabres at KB Center 3pm on MSG & NHL Network and WGR550am

jsb

29 minutes ago, jsb said:

Thoughts on the game:

1. Risto played his best game yesterday, someone mentioned he just flings the pucks out of the zone, if I'm not mistaken they mentioned he completed 93% of his passes thru the 1st 2 periods. He's also averaging just under 26 minutes a game so far. 
  2. Reinhart had the highest TOI for forwards yesterday, 2nd the game before. I think he's getting rewarded for his fine play
  3. I like Skinner, hustles, forechecks, great hands, I don't know what the Hurricanes coach had against this guy
  4. McCabe is playing his best hockey this year a big turnaround from last year
  5. A happy locker room afterward, positive thoughts especially Scandella, I think losing ROR and Lehner may have been addition by subtraction
  6. It's early but St. Louis has 5 goals for 10 goals against. Could theirs be our best 2019 draft choice
  7. Puck bounces going our way so far, I hope it continues, does Hutton's presence have the opposition gripping their sticks a bit too tight compared to last year??

I think they can defer to 2020 as well, might just end up with one draft pick for 2019.   

Now if we don't make the playoffs trading skinner and pommer might get an extra 1st and a 2nd rounder.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Serious question: Is there a filter that pro photographers are using to create this effect nowadays?

It's HDR imaging.  High Dynamic Range.  It's a combination of processes, these days accomplished by one filter in PS or built into cameras.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Because nothing's more American than the Renaissance?

Serious question: Is there a filter that pro photographers are using to create this effect nowadays?

No, because there's nothing more American than men from Canada, Latvia and the U.S. playing hockey. It reminded me of Iwo Jima, is all.

Is there a filter?

1 minute ago, ... said:

It's HDR imaging.  High Dynamic Range.  It's a combination of processes, these days accomplished by one filter in PS or built into cameras.

Ah, OK. It's fairly subtle, though, innit?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Ah, OK. It's fairly subtle, though, innit?

Can be.  Depends on how it's applied.  In this image it's pretty subtle but definitely there.  If you search, you'll find examples that range from subtle to grotesque.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ... said:

Well, a true HDR image needs multiple exposures to see inside the darks, mediums, and lights. Then the images are combined taking the best from each. 

Any PS filter would only be creating a pseudo-HDR effect from a Raw file, which wouldn’t quite be the same. 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

What is with Sheary not keeping his feet? Even when he is alone sometimes.

I remember reading Pens fans saying that was a common occurrence when the trade happened. 

He's pretty good though, so it won't bug me as much as when it happens to Zemgus

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

There’s only one team that won the cup last season and that team finished the regular season with a 48.1% corsi number. Five playoff teams were 48.3% or lower last year (Anaheim, Washington, New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado).

Three of the top six last season missed the playoffs including Carolina at one, Chicago at four and St. Louis at six.

I'm honestly not sure how you didn't get that this was my general point from that entire discussion haha 

ie, not to worry about stats that don't look great, especially through 3 games.

On Dahlin, I hope that he doesn't worry too much about his acne. He's still such a cutie. Hopefully Bogosian beats up anyone who makes fun of him for it.

The thing with corsi and stats guys mention this, is that it doesn't account for HQ or LQ chances. A shot from the slot is better than a shot from the point. If the Sabres are keeping things to the outside it is good. The concern is that even with that style, if you allow enough chances against, the law of averages dictates the bounces will go your opponents way. I don't know if the sabres are allowing HQ chances or not, someone would need the heat map to see. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The thing with corsi and stats guys mention this, is that it doesn't account for HQ or LQ chances. A shot from the slot is better than a shot from the point. If the Sabres are keeping things to the outside it is good. The concern is that even with that style, if you allow enough chances against, the law of averages dictates the bounces will go your opponents way. I don't know if the sabres are allowing HQ chances or not, someone would need the heat map to see. 

Hence guys like Evander looking like corsi gems while taking 5 awful shots per game

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm almost positive that's the first backhand goal that Jack has gotten into the top half of the net. I'm also almost positive he's taken another inch or two off of his stick since last season.

Yea this is something he talked about when he was doing stuff with Bauer in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I'd rather listen to pi campaign against Housley than see this every post.

For what it's worth, Dahlin looks like he suffers from cystic acne.  Clearasil wouldn't do a damn thing for him. You can read more about it here: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/cystic-acne#1

What you'll love about that form of acne is just how damaging it is to the skin.  It's a real treat to have to deal with skin infections that spread and puss up on your face.  Having to have them lanced and drained. The insults and "jokes" that get hurled your way even though there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I am sure being an world-class hockey player helps reduce the impact but for those in life who aren't, the pain of having that condition and not being able to do anything about it really sucks.

Oh, no, they have a drug.  It's now a generic, but originally was called Accutane.  It's a real treat when you take it. You need blood tests every 6 months, you need to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and if that weren't bad enough there's the link to thoughts of depression and suicide. 

It's a real barrel of joy to deal with when you are 16-18 years old. You should ask someone who went through it... oh wait, no need.  I did and I just told you.

Perhaps you will all reconsider the jokes, perhaps not. But it's my hope that you are more aware of how some things in this world that you don't think much about, can have an impact on people.

It's a valid observation - not a joke. Why do you assume I'm not quite familiar with cystic acne and hence the need for help? I had the EXACT SAME THING at age 16-17 due to a hormonal imbalance and due to working at Burger King on Sheridan Drive (grease from the fryers is a killer to the skin of hormonal teenagers). I was prescribed a drug to address the hormonal issues (can't remember which one) and Retin-A as a topical. The drugs are what does the trick as I recall... but it is a valid observation that help is necessary. I know this from experience. I understand the "pack" mentality of message boards, but the original comment was just a comment that people took offense to. I get it. My apologies. But, spare me the lecture as you have no idea what I do and don't know about this particular issue.

34 minutes ago, SDS said:

Well, a true HDR image needs multiple exposures to see inside the darks, mediums, and lights. Then the images are combined taking the best from each. 

Any PS filter would only be creating a pseudo-HDR effect from a Raw file, which wouldn’t quite be the same. 

If memory serves, you can use multiple photos to process an HDR image in PS.  But, you're right, the PS filter will approximate the effect with just a single image.

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

For full disclosure, though, I still think we're a 70-75 point team, and that our possession numbers will wind up falling in the bottom 10 of the league, reflecting that. But I have no foundation on which to put that belief on, at least pertaining to what our players have done since the 17-18 season ended

Well, they've shown they can actually play with a lead at home which is encouraging.  The big Q's are can they come back from trailing?  Last year's team pretty much couldn't.  And can they play well & win on the road when they can't dictate matchups?  The Bergeron line ate the Eichel line for dinner Thursday night.  That sort of nightmarish matchup should have been avoidable at home; it won't be on the road.

So, until they show the answer to both q'sis a resounding 'yes' then the low expectations are still realistic.  I'm still sticking w/ high 80's though am optimistic that's low.  Primarily because Hutton has been nothing short of spectacular.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.