Phil Housley's Future as Sabres Head Coach

Kruppstahl

Will Phil Housley Be the Coach When This Team Returns From the Upcoming West Coast Trip?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phil Housley still be the coach when this team returns from the upcoming western road trip?

• Yes, for sure. His leash is much longer than that.
    • No way, he isn't getting it done and Jason Botterill will have to nip this in the bud before another season is lost before Thanksgiving.
    • Maybe. He is in jeopardy of losing his job if the next several games don't go the right way.

Half the roster is new. I could see any other head coach needing time to get the boys playing with chemistry & consistency. Phil has got a long leash. For the Sabres to cut loose from him we'd have to have another season like last year. But no way in hell do we fire him during the season, unless maybe we lose the next 30-40 games in a row. Its just not happening. And i hope it doesnt. The Sabes should bounce back tonite. Even if they dont win I expect them to play with a bit more fire under the belt. Play a more simple game. Just get pucks to the net & dont try to be so fancy.

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Lots of new guys again. Might take a little time to gel. We have some talent we will not be as bad as last year by a long shot.

I'm expecting a big surge after the all star break by this team

Really. How long did it take Vegas to gel last year. I have doubts about Housley. Watched the game & have two words to describe it: Heartless & boring. That is usually on the coach.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billykay said:

Really. How long did it take Vegas to gel last year. I have doubts about Housley. Watched the game & have two words to describe it: Heartless & boring. That is usually on the coach.

I think that was more the GM's doing ...nice job of finding the right guys who were capable and had the desire to prove themselves to over-achieve given the 2nd chance at making a their careers a success. Good mix of young and vet players. He gave the coach the players to work with. But surely I take nothing away from the coaching or the players. 

Your comparison is not the norm though for an expansion team but it would be nice to see Vegas continue to be competitive and not look like an expansion team going forward. Was it a fluke? If they DON"T keep it up then we might have to "revisit" our posts here.

And by the way...welcome newby!!

• Like (+1) 1

You can't slap together a brand new 50% of a roster in one off season and expect instant results.  Housley will be given at least the full season unless some unfathomable trainwreck occurs, like starting 6-35 or something.  Then he might be sacrificed just to wake up the players.

Note that only one of 45 voters so far actually voted for gone by the end of the trip.  This board never sees that level on consensus on anything.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Lots of new guys again. Might take a little time to gel. We have some talent we will not be as bad as last year by a long shot.

I'm expecting a big surge after the all star break by this team

After what Vegas was able to do last season, I no longer buy into the “too many new players” theory. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

After what Vegas was able to do last season, I no longer buy into the “too many new players” theory. 

It's only been one game. Also because of league rules of stocking an expansion team there are several teams who would like to be given expansion team status I suspect.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billykay said:

New attitude and change things around.....what did you expect from the $10M man child? Isn't this the same kid that played under the same coach last year and had a .95 pts / gm average? How many pts did he have against the Bruins? He sure changed allright... and that's on the coach cuz he made him heartless and boring.

Relax, it's only one game for cryin' out loud.

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Its easier to start from scratch sometimes than trying to change habits of people that have already been there a long time.  Different situations.  Different realities.  

10 hours ago, billykay said:

Starting from complete nothing can sometimes be easier than making tons of changes with leftovers mixed in.  You can never have a true clean slate that way.  If players were just robots with no humanness to them, then yes, I would agree. Players are not robots tho and reality doesn't work so easily.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

He isn’t getting fired anytime soon, but his line combos are a disaster.  

While is one of our best offensive drivers, Erod, centering the 4th line?  Why is the new guy on the 3rd line?  Why put the new guy who adds no offense pn a line with your rookie scoring forward? It doesn’t make any sense.

Much better in game 2 wouldn't you say? Sheary on the top line and Skinner bumped down made more sense to me and it worked.

We are thin at center, without question and Mittlestadt is a problem. A little like Reinhart as a rookie before him. Played a few games at the beginning of the year, looked completely lost and went back to junior. Mittlestadt should be in Rochester imo with constant coaching and a long term plan for his development. Floundering around at this level does nobody any favors.

If I have a real criticism of Housely it's his line match ups during the game and the lack of constant coaching with the kids DURING games. Confidence for young guys is fragile and they need more attention imo. Example during the Rangers game after Thompson's goal was called back for a high stick you could see the look on his face, the kid was gutted and no coach gave him a pat and said good effort, or just keep driving the net and next time.......or whatever. Kids gotta be coached. 

17 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I have no faith that that team will be anywhere near what it showed last year.

I think it's a bad example.  The team had zero expectations to win and had a significant galvanizing event occur just before the start of the season. I think that created a unique situation in which every little thing that normally pops up in the team chemistry goes away and players just play and have a moral reason to play hard.

It's not that it CAN'T happen, but the probability of any team turning over many faces in the lineup, especially in the top tiers of the lineup, and performing well out of the gate is very low.  This is proven over years of teams doing this.

HCPH wants to play dump and chase hockey. He said it himself. 

We don't have the speed for that style game, nor the aggressive players that can win battles in the corners. 

I just don't understand how it is a good idea to have possession and then give it away so you can go try and battle for it in the corner. 

PH has no imagination, and doesn't know how to utilize players to their best abilities. That is why every line is playing dump and chase and you can plug any player on any line. 

11 minutes ago, Koomkie said:

I'll get it later. 

It was in his press conference after the first loss and what he has said since he started coaching here. 

Get the puck in deep behind the defenseman, blah blah. 

Heard that press conference & really thought he was more saying that when you have 3 or 4 skaters on you, you have to dump it in rather than turn it over.  (& there was a very specific play, he was referring to.)

Did not consider that an endorsement of Bylsma-ball.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, Doohickie said:

Good lord.  Another THE SKY IS FALLING thread.

Who's suggesting that?  I'm the one who created it, and was asking what people think.

There's an option for "No way" if you didn't see that.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:01 PM, PASabreFan said:

You do this every year. Then the sky falls. Perhaps you are the man manning the marionette?

There's guys like him at every sports forum I visit.  

It's the "R-E-L-A-X" crowd, as if this somehow conveys a connotation of sophistication, experience, and wisdom. 

They say it under all conditions, all the time.

Over at HF Boards theres a similar guy.  He was urging patience and mentioning "growing pains" back in 2013 when the Sabres organization had more or less hit dead rock bottom, with Ron Rolston and his gardening gloves at the helm.

A few days after, Rolston was canned.  Once he was canned, the fanbase at large felt it was then OK to criticize the organization and everyone started pointing out how Rolston was in totally over his head and not NHL HC material.

Of course "Relax Guy" went quiet for a few days.  I guess he was still exercising patience.

There are long time posters at Two Bills Drive still waiting for EJ Manuel to "arrive" as the Bills long awaited franchise QB.  They've been urging patience since Day 1.

LOL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.