Arena experience: the players

PASabreFan

PA guy: "Bruins' first goal..."

Organ guy: "Well that empty netter seals it, time to play 'Closing Time.'"

Isn't this road arena stuff if you're the Sabres?

Cutting to the chase: if you can't get the little stuff right, what does it say about the big stuff? Do the players sense that they're playing for an amateurish organization?

Edited by PASabreFan

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Didn't they pick the goal song?

I believe the fans voted on it.

Anyway, my point would remain: Are the players sitting on the bench and thinking about what the organist is playing during a break? Are they picking apart the semantics of the PA announcer? I don't think so, but ... maybe?

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Anyway, my point would remain: Are the players sitting on the bench and thinking about what the organist is playing during a break? Are they picking apart the semantics of the PA announcer? I don't think so, but ... maybe?

I think the players picked the song that the fans chose during the vote.

And I would be. But maybe that's just me. I tune in with my environment pretty hard. 

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

PA is 100% right here. Everything about the in-arena experience is garbage. The PA guy set the tone with absolutely zero energy introducing the lineup last night. He sounded like he really wanted to get out of there.

Interesting. Maybe this belongs in the PSE Creativity thread?

Or maybe in-game experience warrants its own thread.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Interesting. Maybe this belongs in the PSE Creativity thread?

Or maybe in-game experience warrants its own thread.

If we rank 31st on in-game experience we'll get first pick at the Dallas Stars' best jumbotron writing intern 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, josie said:

If we rank 31st on in-game experience we'll get first pick at the Dallas Stars' best jumbotron writing intern 

I know you’re joking but the in-arena experience in Dallas is actually terrific. I wish PSE would hire their people away for real. 

Edited by Robviously
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Robviously said:

I know you’re joking but the in-arena experience in Dallas is actually terrific. I wish PSE would hire their people away for real. 

There's a reason Josie picked out Dallas. They are one of a handful of franchises that do a good job with in-arena experience (Vegas being another) and we could learn a thing or two about being more "fun" from them. Even if the play still stinks it doesn't have to be such a depressing atmosphere in there...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Probably not consciously. But we are a product of our environments. No one will convince me that this kind of stuff doesn't seep into their souls.

Hmm.  Didn't notice the song selection at the time.

Speaking of music at home games, you know that highly annoying garbage they play every time we score a goal?  Are we going to have to listen to that forever?  When does that crap go bye-bye?

I'm a big fan of the organ at games and think that should be the only source of music at games.  

So apparently our own organist is kind of trolling the team!  I think that's great.  It fits the overall mess down at the arena.  

Edited by Kruppstahl

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

PA is 100% right here. Everything about the in-arena experience is garbage. The PA guy set the tone with absolutely zero energy introducing the lineup last night. He sounded like he really wanted to get out of there.

I hear Jay Moran on WBFO reading the news. He can never get through a segment without one good tongue-tie. And he flubbed one of the numbers last night. He does it a lot as PA announcer. Again — what does it say when you hire (or retain) people who aren't good at their jobs just because they've been around? See also: Rick, Rob, Ripper, R...

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I hear Jay Moran on WBFO reading the news. He can never get through a segment without one good tongue-tie. And he flubbed one of the numbers last night. He does it a lot as PA announcer. Again — what does it say when you hire (or retain) people who aren't good at their jobs just because they've been around? See also: Rick, Rob, Ripper, R...

Wait a minute.  Now you are taking aim at RJ?  

He is nothing close to what he used to be, but he is still a WNY legend and I think he gets to keep his job until he flat out can't do it anymore or decides it's time to quit.  

It's also worth noting that the game of hockey is nothing close to what it was for the vast bulk of RJ's career; it is a pretty boring game most nights (regular season) and the Sabres teams have been horrid for what? 6 or so years now? 

RJ doesn't have a lot to get enthused about these days.  I think his broadcasting would step up a notch or 2 if the team was really good and played exciting, physical hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.