Arena experience: the players

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It's more than that.  It's certainly electronic and as such there will be something missing compared to a full on pipe organ.  However, there is a large difference between the proprietary algorithms and sounds used by different manufacturers.

That said.. the Lowrey Rialto (which is what he has now) is a full on organ with built in speakers.  This is nothing like a Nord Stage 2, which while certainly not a piece of garbage, is going to rely on an external speaker, etc.  This in and of itself will vary nature the of the sound.

LTS.  MIDI is almost as old as I am.  And his keyboards are not playing through built-in speakers.  I remember the first time I touched a Hammond with a real, authentic, rotating Leslie. It was gorgeous.  His rig is playing over a PA system, though.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Nerd alert ?. ?

I spent my teen years reading Keyboard magazine and started college as a music major.  Fite me bro.

Edited by Eleven

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

LTS.  MIDI is almost as old as I am.  And his keyboards are not playing through built-in speakers.  I remember the first time I touched a Hammond with a real, authentic, rotating Leslie. It was gorgeous.  His rig is playing over a PA system, though.

I spent my teen years reading Keyboard magazine and started college as a music major.  Fite me bro.

Okay... so now I have to really test SDS patience with the nerdiness.

MIDI is nothing more than a digital interface to pass numbers to a system to interpret them.  This is the "start" of the sound creation process.  The MIDI has to be processed into the various instruments assigned to the channels (patches as you called them). There's some magic here as many vendors have their own creations they use. It's not like he picked up a Native Instruments Instrument pack and is playing that.  This is Lowrey defined sound and blends. I'm not going to read the full guide on the Lowrey or the Nord but there is in question the number of channels being assigned to instruments as well. Does the Lowrey use acoustic modeling for it's instruments or does it use digital or even samples? Those are where the real questions lie.

Ultimately, they are different. They probably COULD sound the same in some instances, but they are different. Just like no patch on Earth is the same as a real Hammond B-3 with the Leslie. His rig is playing over a sound system, but the question there is what sound processing is happening before it gets patched out to the rink audio? Again, sound processors, etc. can be quite proprietary.  If they are running it through any kind of internal amp system before being sent to the output then again it's going to sound very different.

We can also add that the Rialto is a dual 61 key keyboard with 25 note pedals.  This will create far more sound capabilities than the Nord which is an 88-key (I believe, it could just be 61, I didn't pay that much attention). So no matter what you do with the Nord, you can't get the same range of notes in one "press" of the keys (10 fingers, and two feet) that you can with the Rialto.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

MIDI is nothing more than a digital interface to pass numbers to a system to interpret them.  This is the "start" of the sound creation process.  The MIDI has to be processed into the various instruments assigned to the channels (patches as you called them). There's some magic here as many vendors have their own creations they use. It's not like he picked up a Native Instruments Instrument pack and is playing that.  This is Lowrey defined sound and blends. I'm not going to read the full guide on the Lowrey or the Nord but there is in question the number of channels being assigned to instruments as well. Does the Lowrey use acoustic modeling for it's instruments or does it use digital or even samples? Those are where the real questions lie.

Ultimately, they are different. They probably COULD sound the same in some instances, but they are different. Just like no patch on Earth is the same as a real Hammond B-3 with the Leslie. His rig is playing over a sound system, but the question there is what sound processing is happening before it gets patched out to the rink audio? Again, sound processors, etc. can be quite proprietary.  If they are running it through any kind of internal amp system before being sent to the output then again it's going to sound very different.

We can also add that the Rialto is a dual 61 key keyboard with 25 note pedals.  This will create far more sound capabilities than the Nord which is an 88-key (I believe, it could just be 61, I didn't pay that much attention). So no matter what you do with the Nord, you can't get the same range of notes in one "press" of the keys (10 fingers, and two feet) that you can with the Rialto.

Continuing with SDS's patience...

Either of these rigs could be playing any sound capable of being developed, is my point, I guess.  

But certainly, he has more options with the second manual (I did make a mistake in my first post on this--it was a single keyboard last year) and larger pedal range.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

For anyone who went to the Montreal game:  How was the arena experience?

The poutine was lacking but everyone was speaking French.

Just kidding.. I wasn't there.

I hope that if the Sabres continue to play well the value of seeing the game versus selling the ticket will change and we'll see less visiting fans in the seats... or if nothing else, a Sabres fan buys the STH seat rather than a Habs or Leafs fan.

I think a lot of it has to do with someone expectations for what they are getting and what they pay for it.

When we go to a game..or a concert....or basically anything where prices are very high and quality is questionable, my wife and I look at it in opposite ways.  She won't say a thing about dropping $4 or $5 on a tiny bottle of water...$7 on a small pizza slice, $6 or $7 on a pretzel, or over $10 for a sandwich. She just decides that is what she wants and gets it.  On the other hand, no matter how thirsty I am, I have a full blown mental crisis on whether I want to pay those prices for a small soda, and on the rare occasions where I do, it bothers me the rest of the night.  

Our solution....I let her buy everything, don't ask how much it cost..and just eat and drink off of what she buys.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/26/2018 at 9:26 AM, Doohickie said:

I asked because the common complaint has been how dead the barn is.  It seemed over TV that the KBC was rocking last night.

My point being that, as so many people have said, fix the team and the fans will be energized.

Remember in 2010 (when the Sabres won the division), a certain fan from Pennsylvania arguing with me that he thought the Arena was dead because of the volume on MSG?  I told him then and I'll repeat now that we can't tell how active the Arena is from TV.  If it seemed like it was rocking, I hope it was.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, LTS said:

I have no first hand knowledge of any of this...but...I  happen to know a former Sabres (and Bisons in the old Rockpile!) organist who is also a professional musician and music teacher. He got a chance to see the new organ recently and was unimpressed. His description of it was that it was "fine" and basically the type of thing you could buy in the mall. It surprised him that for an NHL franchise they didn't invest in a more professional piece of equipment.  

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Personalized goal songs.... great idea?  or greatest idea?

It's a horrible idea.  I don't even like personalized music when baseball players come up to bat.  Hockey is much more of a team game and they should celebrate each goal uniformly.

32 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Uh, no.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's a horrible idea.  I don't even like personalized music when baseball players come up to bat.  Hockey is much more of a team game and they should celebrate each goal uniformly.

Correct.

35 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, I remember one minor league baseball game I went to and the personal songs kept switching between super twangy country about trucks and 'merica and Du Hast by Rammstein and Walk by Pantera. Sonic whiplash, yo. 

I'm not against mixing some of the player's fav songs into the general stoppage of play beats, depending... and also, half the time they don't credit the right goal scorer until a few minutes later anyways. You played Imagine Dragons instead of Xxxtencion? Oh Lawd!! 

55 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Are you jocking this from me, because I mentioned it recently. Greatest ever. I think I'd go with a snippet a few minutes after the goal, rather than a goal song per se, to address the concern expressed by Eleven (and the one by Jo). First break after play resumes after a Sheary goal, there's Lionel Richie. Sports is supposed to be fun.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you jocking this from me, because I mentioned it recently. Greatest ever. I think I'd go with a snippet a few minutes after the goal, rather than a goal song per se, to address the concern expressed by Eleven (and by Jo). First break after play resumes after a Sheary goal, there's Lionel Richie. Sports is supposed to be fun.

The argument about not know who scored is bullpuckey.    90% of the time they know right away.   Let the players have control of what song they want played.    Most probably just go with the team goal song, but others might not, and that would add entertainment value.       It's not like baseball were they play song for every at-bat... in hockey there would only be 3-4 songs played per game..... and the players could have fun with, like letting fans vote for their song, etc.. 

Edited by pi2000

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The personalized at bat or pitcher walk out music is so ripe for pranks.  I've never seen it done, but since it's such a long season I'm guessing it does happen.  There was a specific Red Sox pitcher back during their first world series run who was always wearing camo (no, not bloody sock) and I always wanted someone to switch his walk out music to "It's Raining Men", just to see how he'd react.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.