Eichel Named Captain

sabills

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ladies and Gents, today is a good day. 

And say what you want about Bogo/Kyle's on-ice abilities, (and Jack's too) but those guys are great guys and appear to be obvious leaders, no issue with them having the As.

I have a pretty big issue with Bogo getting over, say, Scandella. "Pretty big" is relative, as I don't think it really matters much at all on the ice, but it's the captain thread, I gotta say something! 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

34 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Nothing for Pominville?  or Reinhart?  I would've picked either of them over Nogo Bogo, and prolly over Okposo too.... but then again, I'm not in that room so I'll just trust the process here.    

I think leadership is somewhat separate from pure talent or even minutes played . Pomminstein I like very much as a person but didn't think was good captain maybe to soft and likeable. Rienhart feel sort of the same. Captain I prefer stronger personality. I'm  not in the room either so,as you, I'll trust the process.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Nothing for Pominville?  or Reinhart?  I would've picked either of them over Nogo Bogo, and prolly over Okposo too.... but then again, I'm not in that room so I'll just trust the process here.    

Pominville is a has been and non consideration. Reinhart is a question mark and playing with Jack doesn't make sense.  Bogo is a veteran D man and one would assume will speak for the vets. It is perhaps an attempt to revitalize him as well. If he is injured it'll be stuck on someone else's jersey no big deal.

Knew Jack would be Captain the minute they gave him the contract. Its really a no alternative scenario. We are all in on Jack (and in a little while Rasmus)and if he fails we will fail. If he succeeds so will we. 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Why Pominville or Reinhart? Neither would be a sensible choice.  Ristolainen, sure.  Are you complaining just to complain?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Why Pominville or Reinhart? Neither would be a sensible choice.  Ristolainen, sure.  Are you complaining just to complain?

Reinhart is arguably the second best player on the team and has been around for a bit now.   If he's part of the core, he should've been strongly considered.

Bogo just seems like an odd choice given he only plays a fraction of a season.  

Okposo with his health issues... not sure I would staple an "A" to his jersey considering it could be curtains on his career the next time he takes a shot to the head.  Reading his story in the Athletic, I was of the opinion he should've retired instead of risk his future well being with a young family, etc... I'm going to wince every time he takes a hit this season.

Pominville, as former captain, would've made sense as an assistant given his tenure... and durability.

Housley - (American).  C - Jack (American).  A- Bogo (American).  A - Kyle (American).

I know he's new to the team, but I would have strongly considered Berglund for an A.  With the 4 Swedes on the roster, and more in the pipeline, along with his purported leadership skills, and he's under contract for 3 more years, I think it would have been a good move. 

Edited by Tondas

Season start. Haven't lost a game yet so what can we find to complain about? Let's see, how about who got the letters. Geesh. Some things never change around here. Can't wait for tomorrow when in all probability the "the seasons lost" cries come out.

I think it boils down to this....

Eichel is the "C" because he's Jack, he's $10M, and he's signed the longest on the team.

Okposo is an "A" because he's respected by his teammates for what he's gone through, he's a vet, and he's signed the second longest on the team.

Bogosian is an "A" because he's a vet, and because they can rotate the "A" to someone else while Bogosian continues to be out injured.

By choosing Bogosian they actually get to give other people a shot with the "A".  

Pominville is gone after this season, no need to name him an "A".

Reinhart hasn't signed long-term yet.  Not getting an "A".

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I think it boils down to this....

Eichel is the "C" because he's Jack, he's $10M, and he's signed the longest on the team.

I prefer to think it's the other way around.  Eichel is be a leader on and off the ice- he is/will be an elite captain in the modern NHL, so that's why he's $10M and signed the longest on the team.

25 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I prefer to think it's the other way around.  Eichel is be a leader on and off the ice- he is/will be an elite captain in the modern NHL, so that's why he's $10M and signed the longest on the team.

I encompass a lot of what you are saying in the "he's Jack" part of what I said.  It definitely all goes together.

21 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Making the playoffs will seem like winning the Cup to me.....my God, so many crap years

If we can simply return to being a competitive, decent team with an expectation that we might actually win the game every time we play, it will be a massive turnaround for the organization.

The Sabres have been mired so deep in suckage for so long now, I think we have all forgotten what it's like to have a normal, solid, competitive team.  

I really hope this is the season the rebuild finally comes together into a solid, competitive team.

I meant to post this before the game, but went mini golfing instead. 

There's a very real chance our season is pretty bad again. And it's because our team isn't good at hockey yet, and wasn't close last year, and didn't really add much in the way of immediate hockey ability. 

The problem with going all-in on culture and trading our best overall player was that we still weren't going to be better right away, and now at the first sign of continuing to be a weak NHL roster, everyone will jump down the throats of the only guys left. 

I'd encourage the board not to do this. These guys work hard and play hard. They aren't very good, and they aren't "different mindsets" and "different leaders" away from on-ice success. They are time, practice, and talent away from success, and it's still going to take some time and moves to get there. 

We have three established good offensive players on our entire team. It's going to be a struggle for a while. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.