The Athletic Vs. BN - Going to buy only one....

Buffaslug

I live outside of Buffalo so the Athletic is an easy choice for me. The Bills/Sabres coverage has been great so far. One thing I've noticed is that they don't really do game recaps (maybe for the regular NHL season) but I can get those on Nhl.com or wherever else. Wish they had a better scoreboard feature as well but whatever. Since I've subscribed I've been reading a lot more about goings on around the league in much more detail because it's right there on my feed. They also have guys who break down the advanced stats in a way I've never seen before, which is good if you're into that.

I fully endorse what the athletic is doing and don't understand people who whine about paying $6 a month for content.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Here's the thing:  Local newspapers need to be supported?  Fine.  But why are they the only ones crying poor in the Internet age and putting everything behind paywalls?  TV stations don't do that, and their websites are readily accessible.  Same goes for radio stations.  It seems that newspapers are the only pre-Internet medium unable to adapt.

I don't think it's just local newspapers.  National papers like the WSJ and the NYT have done the same thing, as have magazines like the New Yorker.

Overall, "print" media seems like a very difficult business.  I don't begrudge any publication for charging for its content.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think it's just local newspapers.  National papers like the WSJ and the NYT have done the same thing, as have magazines like the New Yorker.

Overall, "print" media seems like a very difficult business.  I don't begrudge any publication for charging for its content.

NYT and WSJ always have been premium products, at least in my lifetime.  The Buffalo News costs $1.50, is written at a sixth-grade reading level, and provides me with about 5 minutes worth of local news to read, most of which is readily available to read for free on TV station websites, also written at a sixth-grade reading level.  That's insane.  Do I begrudge them?  No.  Am I going to pay it?  Also no.  

Newspapers need to find a new model.  I suspect something like The Athletic, but for news, is not far away.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.