What really happened to Kyle Okposo

dudacek

48 minutes ago, ubkev said:

You're gonna have a hard time making progress in removing that from people's lexicon. The R word gets dropped and people are quick to jump on people now(sometimes rightly so) but you can toss out nut job, crazy, schizo, psycho, lunatic, whack job and about 2 dozen others and no one would bat an eye.

Big differences in how we view mentally challenged from mentally disturbed.

I had a student who would pitch a full-on tantrum and threaten to report me every time I said the word "crazy". As in "You may want to check out this artist's illustration, they use loads of crazy colors to get a really neat effect". Or "Oh man, you've improved so much since week one, it's insane".

She would grab a dry-erase marker, go to the side board and write out whatever word I'd said that pissed her off and then its definition, then the definition for ableism, and would then write as large as possible "DO BETTER" and leave for a few minutes. It was extreme and rude, and yeah... I tried to avoid those words to avoid those outbursts and man... they're just SO tied in to language. It's really tough. 

Kinda off topic but yeha.... those are tough to remove. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

I had a student who would pitch a full-on tantrum and threaten to report me every time I said the word "crazy". As in "You may want to check out this artist's illustration, they use loads of crazy colors to get a really neat effect". Or "Oh man, you've improved so much since week one, it's insane".

She would grab a dry-erase marker, go to the side board and write out whatever word I'd said that pissed her off and then its definition, then the definition for ableism, and would then write as large as possible "DO BETTER" and leave for a few minutes. It was extreme and rude, and yeah... I tried to avoid those words to avoid those outbursts and man... they're just SO tied in to language. It's really tough. 

Hahaha! Yep, I'd have been fired from that job. Because I'm usually smart enough to know when something I say is offensive, but I'm dumb enough to forget and say dumb sh#t anyway. But, yeah, your student was pretty much an a-hole, starving for attention.

Another article that features Kyle:  Okposo: Players need to buy in for Sabres fortunes to change

I actually like that it doesn't mention the other article, and portrays Okie as one of the leaders on the team.  It was important to learn about what he went through, but even more important to see him as a hockey player striving to move forward.

• 3 years later...
On 9/24/2018 at 5:33 PM, josie said:

I’d last 15 minutes in that environment 

There was a lot of wtf? at the time; we had no clue why he was out so long and it took him so long to rehab.  And really, ever since then he's worked his ass off to raise his game season-on-season regardless of who he played with, what role he played, or who the coach was.  He was grateful to have a place in the NHL even if it was on the worst team.  And now he has a chance to raise that team out of the ashes.  I mean, if the Sabres make the playoffs during his tenure he'll probably be one of the top 5 Sabres of all time imo.

Looking back on this article, and especially on the Scandella comments about Okposo's play when he's confident (which is energetic and infectious) versus when he's experiencing a "dip," it sure looks like the Sabres could be in part feeding off a VERY confident Kyle Okposo's play and leadership right now. 

If you want to be more internet-y about it, you might ask what has changed recently to help pave the way for his resurgence of self-assuredness. And furthermore, you might wonder openly how long it's likely to last. Not that I would do that, because I absolutely love seeing such a locally maligned player and personally impressive human do what Kyle Okposo is doing*

*and of course we must always laugh at ourselves for reacting to such small sample sizes

But what a cool story right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

But this isn't just three good games by Kyle.  Look at him over the last few seasons, when he could barely function on the ice, to becoming a third of a premier shutdown line, to where he is now.  It's not a sudden jump, it's been steady progression over three or so years.

Three years ago people talked about how slow he was.  By last season people were noticing he was picking up his pace and wasn't slow anymore.  Now he's leading an attack-first team.  This isn't out of the blue, this is the fruition of years of work and training on his part to get back to the level he knew he was capable of.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

But this isn't just three good games by Kyle.  Look at him over the last few seasons, when he could barely function on the ice, to becoming a third of a premier shutdown line, to where he is now.  It's not a sudden jump, it's been steady progression over three or so years.

Three years ago people talked about how slow he was.  By last season people were noticing he was picking up his pace and wasn't slow anymore.  Now he's leading an attack-first team.  This isn't out of the blue, this is the fruition of years of work and training on his part to get back to the level he knew he was capable of.

He was never slow. I never understood that narrative.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, josie said:

The entitlement of children, including college aged students is slowly wearing on me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love how he's looked so far, but let's pump the brakes a bit here... they're 3 games in lol.   

He's an aging vet who's on the decline.  Sure it's a nice early season story and I hope he keeps it up but let's be real.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, LGR4GM said:

"Matt Moulson slept in the hospital lobby. Alicia Moulson cooked for Danielle to make sure she ate."

Say what you will about Matt Moulson but he is a good human. 

Eichel would agree with you

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Love how he's looked so far, but let's pump the brakes a bit here... they're 3 games in lol.   

He's an aging vet who's on the decline.  Sure it's a nice early season story and I hope he keeps it up but let's be real.

Maybe, but maybe he will be better than he has the last few years also.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:33 PM, josie said:

That's heading into "get a life" other than being offended as a full time job territory

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

The entitlement of children, including college aged students is slowly wearing on me. 

What is even worse is the entitled adults.  I taught some supply chain and finance classes for a masters program around 10 years ago and I still have some of the emails students sent me in case I ever need a good laugh. 

My favorite was a 30-40 year old adult complaining about the 26% grade they received on a paper they turned in 4 days late (10% points off per day late per the syllabus), and only answered 2 out of 3 questions.  They were livid at my "Harvard level grading expectations" even though there is a very clear grading rubric for every single assignment.  Good times 😄

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

What is even worse is the entitled adults.  I taught some supply chain and finance classes for a masters program around 10 years ago and I still have some of the emails students sent me in case I ever need a good laugh. 

My favorite was a 30-40 year old adult complaining about the 26% grade they received on a paper they turned in 4 days late (10% points off per day late per the syllabus), and only answered 2 out of 3 questions.  They were livid at my "Harvard level grading expectations" even though there is a very clear grading rubric for every single assignment.  Good times 😄

Entitled students were raised by the entitled adults criticizing them.  I’m not proud that my generation can’t see what they’ve done to contribute to the things they are bitching about.  I suppose we are taking after the boomers that did the same in regards to us.

Acorns rarely fall far from the trees that bore them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.