Sabres v Tornato 9/21/18... blow leaves blow at 7:30p

North Buffalo

Right now I'd rather have an over-confident Tage who has the time, the mentality and the skill to grow into his confidence than a player who is a stat monster but literally did nothing to help the team win.  The last several seasons sucked.

8 minutes ago, ... said:

Right now I'd rather have an over-confident Tage who has the time, the mentality and the skill to grow into his confidence than a player who is a stat monster but literally did nothing to help the team win.  The last several seasons sucked.

ROR is one of maybe three reasons we ever won a game last year. The most motivated current Tage Thompson in the world, put in the exact situation, would have had us finish with even fewer points than we did. By a large amount, considering ROR's defensive usage broke (very specific) records, and Tage to this point is a 12-goal-pacing forward with nice single-offseason development. 

The two teams, and two players' situations, cannot be directly compared whatsoever. We are a new and hopefully better team, with a completely new and different look, and @TrueBlueGED and I are probably in for a looooooooooong season of being accused of "nitpicking" when we point out that posters are not describing last season accurately at all w.r.t. Ryan, Ryan's "attitude," and the team's struggles in general. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

ROR is one of maybe three reasons we ever won a game last year. The most motivated current Tage Thompson in the world, put in the exact situation, would have had us finish with even fewer points than we did. By a large amount, considering ROR's defensive usage broke (very specific) records, and Tage to this point is a 12-goal-pacing forward with nice single-offseason development. 

The two teams, and two players' situations, cannot be directly compared whatsoever. We are a new and hopefully better team, with a completely new and different look, and @TrueBlueGED and I are probably in for a looooooooooong season of being accused of "nitpicking" when we point out that posters are not describing last season accurately at all w.r.t. Ryan, Ryan's "attitude," and the team's struggles in general. 

I like Tage because he has the balls to take the shots.  If, in a season or two, he still hasn't figured out how to make it work, okay, move on from him. But the bottom line is the Sabres were awful that past couple of seasons and Tage is among the collage representing a different approach to trying to win.

53 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sobotka isn't normally a big powerplay guy, is he?  When the goalie was out and they had the extra skater (a de facto powerplay), they kept giving the puck back to him and he did nothing with it.  Made them very easy to defend.

Correct.  He isn't.  But considering this squad had exactly 2 guys that will likely be on the 2nd PP unit on Oct 4 (Mittelstadt & Thompson) there wasn't a lot of other options there.

Interestingly, he's one of only 3 guys that are (though there's a 4th that's also) a lock to make the Oct 4 roster that played tonight (Ullmark, Sobotka, & Thompson w/ Mittelstadt being the 4th).

Will be intersting to see if Pilut makes that roster.  My guess is no, but could see him the 1st call up when Bogosian does his No Go routine.

Was Beaulieu held out because he's been partnered w/ No Go & they want Zach to go tomorrow night?  Had expected to see him tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

Just had a chance to see the 4th Toronto goal on the Direct T.V. playback, and Guhle isn't going to have much of a career if he doesn't understand he is going to have to be much more physical if he is going to make it in this league. That guy should have been on his butt as he drove to the net after Toronto won the face-off.

It's the same thing that was so aggravating to see last year, in that guys instead of playing the body in close they chose to poke ans swipe at the puck, and more times than not that kind of defense ended in disaster for Buffalo.

This group needs to acquire a more physically aggressive approach to their defensive game plan or this team is going to continue to lose the one goal games that could've given them a chance at a playoff spot.

Tage Thompsons' goal was fantastic and I would like to see Nylander get a few more games before being sent back to Rochester.

Let's Go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

I liked what I saw from Tage. I think he has real potential and with some good coaching and a good attitude he could develop into a decent goal scorer if he's paired with a playmaker. Has to learn to use that reach better on D though. 

I'm not sure what to make of Ullmark. He's a little too much like Lehner at times for me. Big guy, makes a brilliant save at one moment, but let's in a soft one the next. I want consistency in goal and I'm not sure he is it (yet).

Nylander had flashes. He just might make this team.

The guy who really disappoints me is Mittlestadt. All the hype, but I'm sorry, this guy looks lost our there. He is definitely not ready. Assuming Sam is on the wing, we are looking pretty weak down the middle after Eichel. 

The D isn't worth commenting on since it's possible none of the ones on the ice tonight may be on the team. Guhle and Nelson were the best of them I guess. 

My takes of the game:

1. We not only are faster we play faster. Very impressed with the young guys speed of play and we won races for the puck.... WHAT?? Can't remember when I said that before
  2. Guhle needs more seasoning in Rochester, Pilut and Nelson were better but they may also start the season in Rochester
  3. Casey's not ready for 2nd line Center minutes but I'd rather have him learn here than Rochester, once he gets used to the speed of play he'll be fine
  4. Asplund's better than I thought but he's better off getting 1st line minutes in Rochester
  5. Having said the above, all of those guys make last years roster
  6. Tage is better than some of you guys gave him credit for being at the trade. We'll miss ROR a bit but the same guys who blasted that trade seem to be having a problem that Berglund and Sobotka and a 1st came back in that trade also. I'm beginning to think we WON that trade
  7. I have done a 180 on #92 Nylander, if he doesn't start the season here, it won't be long before he's back, this guy can play
  8. I can see why they are also high on C.J. Smith, he has potential, he also makes last year's roster
  9. Girgensons makes the team as a 4th line winger, say what you want about him but he plays hard and is gritty, we need that on the 4th line plus he's good on PK
  10. That Toronto feed yesterday was terrible, nothing short of terrible, expected much better
Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jsb said:

My takes of the game:

1. We not only are faster we play faster. Very impressed with the young guys speed of play and we won races for the puck.... WHAT?? Can't remember when I said that before
  2.  Guhle needs more seasoning in Rochester, Pilut and Nelson were better but they may also start the season in Rochester
  3. Casey's not ready for 2nd line Center minutes but I'd rather have him learn here than Rochester, once he gets used to the speed of play he'll be fine
  4. Asplund's better than I thought but he's better off getting 1st line minutes in Rochester
  5. Having said the above, all of those guys make last years roster
  6. Tage is better than some of you guys gave him credit for being at the trade. We'll miss ROR a bit but the same guys who blasted that trade seem to be having a problem that Berglund and Sobotka and a 1st came back in that trade also. I'm beginning to think we WON that trade
  7. I have done a 180 on #92 Nylander, if he doesn't start the season here, it won't be long before he's back, this guy can play
  8. I can see why they are also high on C.J. Smith, he has potential, he also makes last year's roster
  9. Girgensons makes the team as a 4th line winger, say what you want about him but he plays hard and is gritty, we need that on the 4th line plus he's good on PK

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Mittelstadt in rochester and Asplund as 3C.     We can always put Reinhart or Berglund at 2C.

41 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Mittelstadt in rochester and Asplund as 3C.     We can always put Reinhart or Berglund at 2C.

I've given up the idea of Reinhart as C. Asplund didn't handle Tavares any better than Casey did but for kids who never played this level before, that's a pretty big task for anybody. 

46 minutes ago, jsb said:

I've given up the idea of Reinhart as C. Asplund didn't handle Tavares any better than Casey did but for kids who never played this level before, that's a pretty big task for anybody. 

I agree with both.

Im guessing we’ll see Jack get the big minutes, Sobotka or Berglund getting the hard minutes and Casey getting equivalent of 3rd line or even 4th line minutes with veteran, responsible wingers.

If Casey gets played 2nd line minutes it might get ugly for awhile.

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

I agree with both.

Im guessing we’ll see Jack get the big minutes, Sobotka or Berglund getting the hard minutes and Casey getting equivalent of 3rd line or even 4th line minutes with veteran, responsible wingers.

If Casey gets played 2nd line minutes it might get ugly for awhile.

100% agree. 

FWIW, I thought Pilut was kinda shaky, but better than Guhle and Nelson, both of whom looked very much not ready for prime time.

This brings me back to my preference for Hunwick at #6 and Beaulieu at #7.  Of course, if Hunwick's not ready for the opener, I could be convinced to jump Pilut to #6 and keep Beaulieu at #7.  But I'd rather have Pilut join Guhle and Nelson in Rochester.

I could also be convinced pretty easily that any or all of Thompson, CJ and Nylander should be in the opening night lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree that Thompson, CJ and Nylander could very well stay up.

Looking forward to seeing our play tonight.  Want me some Risto feistiness and some Dahlin dazzlin'.  Oh, and will surely have my eye on that Skinner, Eichel, Thompson line

GO SABRES

Edited by holzinger'sgone

Tage is gonna be fun to watch.  I hope he can pot some goals for us cuz I'd like to see him stick around.

Defense is minding the gap so much more than in the past... as in they're not backing off into a shell around the goalie as much as in past years.  They're standing up and forcing the opposing forwards to make a play.

34 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Tage is gonna be fun to watch.  I hope he can pot some goals for us cuz I'd like to see him stick around.

Defense is minding the gap so much more than in the past... as in they're not backing off into a shell around the goalie as much as in past years.  They're standing up and forcing the opposing forwards to make a play.

Bylsma loved giving up the blue line because he's a loser coach. 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It’s one thing Dahlin, Pilut and Nelson can do better than the group they are replacing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.