Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

The very sharp Mr. Rasmus Dahlin

Recommended Posts

I still haven't paid any attention to Rasmus Dahlin's YouTube clips. I had the game on the other night but wasn't paying attention. I half-watched a highlight package of his after the game but really didn't want to put any stock into it. It's all about October 4 for me and Razmie.

However, listening to the part of his interview after the game with Harrington, I went from six to midnight. Harrington was doing what sports "reporters" love to do. Make a statement and try to get the player to agree, probably because he already had that part of his story written and just needed a quote to fill in. (Hammy has raised this to an art form.) So Mike was saying, "Rasmus, you don't seem to get nervous, whether it's at the draft or in your first game here. Do you ever get nervous?" (Paraphrasing.) Rasmus replied that he does get nervous, is "always" nervous, actually, and indeed was nervous before the game and early in the game.

"How long does it take to settle down, a couple of shifts?" "No, after I make the first pass."

"Those highlight reel moves you make, the instinctual plays, you just have the confidence to do those at any moment..." "I do when the situation comes up. It comes when it comes."

Three narratives dumped behind him on the forecheck, and three narratives calmly rung around the boards and over the blue line.

Especially given that English is not his native language, and that he's 18 years old in his first rodeo, the ability to stand there and listen and really hear the question and then not take the bait is very impressive to me. I think he might just be a breed of Sabrecat the likes of which we haven't seen around here in a long time.

I'd like this thread to be about other signs you've seen that Rasmus has as much going for him inside his helmet as inside his gloves and his skates.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched him at the prospect tournament and there were times you could see him evaluate where he was going to pass, make a move to get a better angle, and make the pass all in the span of a second or two. He also  makes tape to tape passes look easy which means he is putting the pass to where the player should be. That takes a mental sharpness too, especially when he wires tape to tape passes during up ice transitions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I still haven't paid any attention to Rasmus Dahlin's YouTube clips. I had the game on the other night but wasn't paying attention. I half-watched a highlight package of his after the game but really didn't want to put any stock into it. It's all about October 4 for me and Razmie.

However, listening to the part of his interview after the game with Harrington, I went from six to midnight. Harrington was doing what sports "reporters" love to do. Make a statement and try to get the player to agree, probably because he already had that part of his story written and just needed a quote to fill in. (Hammy has raised this to an art form.) So Mike was saying, "Rasmus, you don't seem to get nervous, whether it's at the draft or in your first game here. Do you ever get nervous?" (Paraphrasing.) Rasmus replied that he does get nervous, is "always" nervous, actually, and indeed was nervous before the game and early in the game.

"How long does it take to settle down, a couple of shifts?" "No, after I make the first pass."

"Those highlight reel moves you make, the instinctual plays, you just have the confidence to do those at any moment..." "I do when the situation comes up. It comes when it comes."

Three narratives dumped behind him on the forecheck, and three narratives calmly rung around the boards and over the blue line.

Especially given that English is not his native language, and that he's 18 years old in his first rodeo, the ability to stand there and listen and really hear the question and then not take the bait is very impressive to me. I think he might just be a breed of Sabrecat the likes of which we haven't seen around here in a long time.

I'd like this thread to be about other signs you've seen that Rasmus has as much going for him inside his helmet as inside his gloves and his skates.

I too remember seeing that interview and being quite impressed with how he handled it.   He was respectful but still disagreed with the questioner when needed.  I also thought he answered the questions in a manner that seemed pretty honest — ie I felt like I was getting his real thoughts, not a series of meaningless cliches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a lot and listened to several video's from, teammates, friends and especially the family ones. Consistent themes persist about the person and environment that has shaped the person that gives me a confident feeling that he is genuine, humble, desires to be the best he can be and is the real deal.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP reflects a good take.

I think there's a fundamental mental fortitude in him.

I'll stay tuned, and post as able.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the same thing when I saw that interview, but didn't really think about it until this thread. 👍🏻

And you are right. I find PHam's leading questions to be one of the most annoying thing in all of sports journalism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I thought the same thing when I saw that interview, but didn't really think about it until this thread. 👍🏻

And you are right. I find PHam's leading questions to be one of the most annoying thing in all of sports journalism. 

It's kind of a necessity though. Players are kinda tight-lipped on record so you have to pry. Off record is different. But in front of the mics I think they try to watch what they say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's kind of a necessity though. Players are kinda tight-lipped on record so you have to pry. Off record is different. But in front of the mics I think they try to watch what they say. 

Like PA said, there's asking leading questions, and then there's the way PH does it. It's really obnoxious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Like PA said, there's asking leading questions, and then there's the way PH does it. It's really obnoxious.

That's a fair distinction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PH type question: "Your team played poorly tonight, you didn't play better because you ate onions at lunch, why is that?" 

Statement, why that statement is true, question based off the statement being true = PH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a play against Pittsburgh where he picked up a contested puck in the corner, skated behind the net and the Pens were baiting him with a trap play where the two forecheckers were stacked meaning either one could peel off in either direction and the other would double team him.  He saw it took one stride and calmly backhanded it no look to McCabe who could have been covered but wasn’t because the pen saw the potential for an odd man rush and hightailed it out of the zone.  McCabe made the outlet and the two forecheckers were toast.  Simple.  But he didn’t even think.  Just knew where the pressure was and swallowed his ego by not trying to skate through two defenders.  Its a play Blowu consistently botches.

Edited by 3putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, if we can get Dahlin to do a singing Elvis impression (a la Gilbert), we'll really have something! 

Seriously, he does sound very mature and thoughtful for one so young.  A good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sabre Dance said:

Now, if we can get Dahlin to do a singing Elvis impression (a la Gilbert), we'll really have something! 

Seriously, he does sound very mature and thoughtful for one so young.  A good sign.

The thing that came across to me: He seems to know his own mind. That is not something I would have said about Eichel at the same age. In fact, I think Jack's just getting there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 2:20 PM, Sabre Dance said:

Now, if we can get Dahlin to do a singing Elvis impression (a la Gilbert), we'll really have something! 

Seriously, he does sound very mature and thoughtful for one so young.  A good sign.

I am enjoying this thread.

First, a nod to PA recalling the draft aftermath discussion around exuberance, rational or not.  I see PA sticking to his guns while pointing to evidence that the other argument exists.  Fair and balanced!

Second, I enjoy the general comments about excellent journalism, open ended questions and leading questions.  My ears are sensitive to the distinction when others practice the craft.

Lastly, Sabre Dance transported me to my youth.  I was in the Aud as a 13 year old with my family.  It was playoff time, and we went to watch a practice.  My memory says we were playing Montreal.   I believe it’s the day we’d met Brian Spencer in the parking lot and he invited us in to watch.  I’ve mentioned that here, before, I believe.  It was a time before security and “We’re Gonna Win That Cup” was a vibe.

We wandered the hallways near the dressing room before the team took the ice and heard someone belting out “Only You” by the Platters. The singer appeared around a corner.  It was Gil Perreault and he was with Larry Mickey and a third player whose name I don’t recall.  Perreault saw us, stopped singing, and froze.  We froze, too, eyes like saucers.  The players laughed and continued walking to the dressing room.  Not moving our feet, we systematically turned our heads to follow them as they walked by, laughing and singing.  They were smoking cigarettes.  Nothing was said.  No autographs were procured.

My family and I sat in the empty Aud and watched the practice.  What a spectacle.  Essentially alone and private, the team had a personality you don’t see when the lights are on.  Jocelyn Guevremont’s family was there, too.  He’d stop at the glass during breaks and talk to them.  He flipped a puck to a boy, perhaps his son or nephew.  Many players teased Gary Bromley throughout the warm up skate, poking him, hooking him, and lifting his legs with sticks.  Korab wrestled a reluctant Bromley and pulled his sweater up over his head.   Korab also continuously snarled at Perreault, taunting him during drills and scrimmages.  “You’re a superstar, right?  They tell me you’re a superstar.  Come on, superstar.  I’m here, superstar”.

Years later, Larry Mickey killed himself.  Brian Spencer was acquitted following a trial for murder and kidnapping.  He was later killed committing a robbery.  We knew little, back then, of the physical and emotional toll associated with the sport, particularly for those players on the fringe where grinding violence and toughness is the value proposition.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Neo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe that explains the downfall of The Buffalo News. The "pros" never give us anything as good as this cake decorator just gave us. At least, that's how I always imagine Neo. Those hands are talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×