UEFA Champions League 2018-2019

Sabel79

Starting a Champions League thread mostly so I can complain about TNT's coverage of it.  When it was announced that Turner had won the rights I was afraid things were going to go badly.  Now, on day one I've gone from merely being afraid to full-on locked in a panic room as the monsters outside are close to breaking in.  Steve Nash?  Really?  The whole setup is, if I'm generous, half-assed and embarrassing.  

Topping it off, the actual good game today won't  be on TV (unless you pay for it via the nearly unusable Bleacher Report Live app, which I did because I have a problem).   Instead of what should be an interesting Inter-Spurs game at 1, they'll lead off with Barcelona dropping 15 goals on PSV because that's a team one guy at Turner thinks he's heard of... I never thought I'd be pining for Fox... 

Anyway, Liverpool-PSG later looks tasty, and will actually be shown to people later, so looking forward to that... 

2 minutes ago, N S said:

Barca will win it all this year.  Book it.

Man City are actual favorites at 6/1, Barca are 13/2.  After that it's Juve and PSG at 8/1, Real at 9/1, Bayern 10/1.  Doesn't matter after that, it'll be one of these teams.  Please not City or Barca... 

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Man City are actual favorites at 6/1, Barca are 13/2.  After that it's Juve and PSG at 8/1, Real at 9/1, Bayern 10/1.  Doesn't matter after that, it'll be one of these teams.  Please not City or Barca... 

Man C has done nothing in the recent CLs and I expect that to continue.  Now that Juventus has CR7 they could be in line to do something.

Something tells me Guardiola has been given an edict by ownership to win the CL or else experience firsthand the human rights abuses he was hired to help gloss over.  I’d expect them to go all out in Europe at the expense, somewhat, of the extent to which they care about the league.  

Still, happy to be wrong.  I’d also be interested to see what Juve come with... 

On 9/18/2018 at 2:05 PM, Sabel79 said:

Something tells me Guardiola has been given an edict by ownership to win the CL or else experience firsthand the human rights abuses he was hired to help gloss over.  I’d expect them to go all out in Europe at the expense, somewhat, of the extent to which they care about the league.  

Still, happy to be wrong.  I’d also be interested to see what Juve come with... 

So, how is that working out so far?

Man C is going to be Man C in CL ... again.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Quarterfinals starting now.  Let’s see how Spurs manage to Spurs this all up... (please, god, make it funny).

And as I’m typing, hilarious penalty given by VAR.  which Aguero, of all people, misses.  Ugh.  

The Spurs did not Spurs it up today.  Maybe on the next leg.

Liverpool did OK too, eh?

18 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Spurs did not Spurs it up today.  Maybe on the next leg.

Liverpool did OK too, eh?

Let’s hope Guardiola’s need to take a team with a disgusting stockpile of talent and make it look like they were managed to the title doesn’t backfire, again, in the next leg.  

Liverpool should beat Porto.  Meh. 

• 4 weeks later...