GDT Penguins At Sabres Preseason Game 2 MSG WGR 550

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Haven't read the entire thread. Rick, oh man. Is this a preview of where he's at or just a rough first preseason game? He's approaching Van-at-the-end territory. He had Pominville scoring, not McCabe. He rambled on about his radio job in Ontario while the Pens were pressing to tie the game. He really sounded lost at times. The calls are getting more and more generic as he apparently can't pick up numbers or make the connections anymore.

I thought he made a strong comeback from cancer and heart problems. I'm not sure he can overcome the simple ravages of time. The thing is, I don't think he'll voluntarily retire as long as he thinks he's doing a respectable job. And Kim almost certainly wouldn't want to have to relieve him of his duties, even though it would be justified (in an ideal world, someone who's reallllly good would be waiting in the wings; alas, this is the Buffalo Sabres/PSE we're talking about; hello, Dan). So we're stuck in this awkward situation for who knows how many years.

I keep saying that one thing that could help would be getting Rick a spotter. Or letting him sit in a repurposed suite so he's closer to the action.

We all want Rick to go on forever — mostly we want his voice associated with more great moments in franchise history, maybe even the greatest moment. One way of accomplishing that, and I imagine Rick would rather be tortured by ISIS than agree to it, would be to reduce his role to recreating calls after a game.

I think those are all fair criticisms.

For my part, I just don't care. As long as his voice is accompanying the game, I'm good.

FWIW, I suspect the broadcast team has a spotter (?), or someone who operates in that capacity (saying things into the headsets).

I'm not sure if this decline will become a problem for the broader fan base, though.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

2. It will be bordering on a Crime if Erod goes to Rochester.  Need to find him a spot on the Sabres

5.  The dark navy jerseys are so bad. Why can't they just go to a lighter royal blue?

2.  I don't think anyone is talking about ERod going to Rochester.  Based on the players we've got right now, he will be a key piece of this season's Sabres team.  I won't go so far as to call him part of the core, but he's definitely a valued piece.

5.  Concur.  I hope the plan for the 50th anniversary season is to go to the royal blue.  The Winter Classic jersey color scheme is just about right.

Edited by Doohickie

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Haven't read the entire thread. Rick, oh man. Is this a preview of where he's at or just a rough first preseason game? He's approaching Van-at-the-end territory. He had Pominville scoring, not McCabe. He rambled on about his radio job in Ontario while the Pens were pressing to tie the game. He really sounded lost at times. The calls are getting more and more generic as he apparently can't pick up numbers or make the connections anymore.

I thought he made a strong comeback from cancer and heart problems. I'm not sure he can overcome the simple ravages of time. The thing is, I don't think he'll voluntarily retire as long as he thinks he's doing a respectable job. And Kim almost certainly wouldn't want to have to relieve him of his duties, even though it would be justified (in an ideal world, someone who's reallllly good would be waiting in the wings; alas, this is the Buffalo Sabres/PSE we're talking about; hello, Dan). So we're stuck in this awkward situation for who knows how many years.

I keep saying that one thing that could help would be getting Rick a spotter. Or letting him sit in a repurposed suite so he's closer to the action.

We all want Rick to go on forever — mostly we want his voice associated with more great moments in franchise history, maybe even the greatest moment. One way of accomplishing that, and I imagine Rick would rather be tortured by ISIS than agree to it, would be to reduce his role to recreating calls after a game.

all good points but....even I didn't think it was McCabe at first and only saw the #9. I wouldn't have thought it was McCabe in front of the net either. It's not an excuse but an observation when you don't expect a guy to be in that position. And he did correct himself shortly after.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

I think RJ will have to retire at one point, but if he doesn't want to, I think they could offer him another assignment, possibly in the studio in between periods or special features or even interviews in the crowd* or something.

*Here in Texas the Rangers have a commentator that roams the crowd during the game, interviewing notables that happen to be attending, and giving out a swag bag to "the fan of the game."  Wouldn't it be cool to be selected by RJ as the fan of the game at a Sabres game and be able to chit chat with him a little?

I wouldn't mind a continued association between the Sabres and RJ in the event that they make (and win!) the finals while he can still do a call.  It'd be cool to give him a period to call here or there during the finals.  (I believe the Detroit Red Wings did that when they won the Cup in '97 with Bud Lynch.)

3 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Having the RJ call is like watching the game with grampa, in the most endearing sense of the word. I want him there until he decides he's done. If we can win a cup in 3-4 years, I'm sure he'll retire. Let's all plan on that! In the meantime, don't take grampa away from me!

I think this is where I’m at. 

Its funny how I notice RJ’s errors, and honestly don’t care. I grew up listening to him calling games on my clock radio while I was laying in bed as a kid. It’s comforting listening to him still call games, especially knowing nobody comparable is in the wings, even with his mess ups. 

• Like (+1) 1

I noticed that RJ was barely calling out any Penguins players.  Most likely because it's not the regular roster but I think it does show his aging as well.

But I'm all on board.  I would say you might need to replace him on the radio, but on TV I can see what's happening.  

On TV though , I can see what's happening.  RJ's voice is just part of the overall sound mix that creates the scene of a Sabres game.  I don't like Sabres games without RJ just like I can't watch a nature documentary not narrated by Sir David Attenborough.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Was I wrong to think that ALL the bubble new guys (Pilut, Bailey, Smith, Bapiste, Asplund) looked pretty good last night.

Maybe not WOW! good, but we might finally have some depth good.

I think three things contribute to that:

1. Yes, of course the talent is better.

2. Last year as a first year HC, Housley was still developing his system.  This year I think he comes in with a better idea of what system he wants to run and how the talent fits into that system.  Last year the team seemed lost, this year they appear to know what they're doing.

3. The prospects have already been through development camp and the prospects tourney so they've been indoctrinated in HCPH's system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.