Great Article in The Athletic About Eichel

Brawndo

I think probably both... given OReilly is probably a bit of a manic depressive, despite his work ethic... not sure he could handle Jack’s desire to be affable and Jack getting frustrated with how the team got on itself.. led by OReilly’s negativity.  Looks like Jack has seen the dark cloud go away and its a relief... hockey to him is suppose to be fun... Dhalin has that attitude too... Ryan not so much... it was a job to be endured.

This quote from Marty in the article caught my eye:

And while there might have been frustration with Eichel in the past, Biron said a corner does appear to have been turned.

“I think everybody in Buffalo has had their ups and downs with Jack,” Biron told The Athletic. “I think that’s all in the past. This year, even this summer, when I watch him on the ice for the informal skates, there’s a different feeling around the locker room, around the team.”

Hmmmmmmmm.

Biron's quote is in line with what that national (was he from Colorado?) NHL reporter had related a while back (sorry no link) about how just about all the veterans on the team (primarily ROR, but excepting Kane (which in and of itself probably says something about Kane)) had a genuine problem with Eichel and his 'tude when/soon after he arrived.

My inference: He acted like a cocky pr1ck from Boston, Mass.

But people grow up. I'm ready to be over it, or, at least, I'll be over it provided Eichel's team shows real progress this season. If this team continues to be less than the sum of its parts, then that will presumably fall on Eichel.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Biron's quote is in line with what that national (was he from Colorado?) NHL reporter had related a while back (sorry no link) about how just about all the veterans on the team (primarily ROR, but excepting Kane (which in and of itself probably says something about Kane)) had a genuine problem with Eichel and his 'tude when/soon after he arrived.

My inference: He acted like a cocky pr1ck from Boston, Mass.

But people grow up. I'm ready to be over it, or, at least, I'll be over it provided Eichel's team shows real progress this season. If this team continues to be less than the sum of its parts, then that will presumably fall on Eichel.

Yup.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

But what happens to Samson?  Does he ride the tandem bike alone now?

(Please, there is no need for the meme with the guy holding hands with his girlfriend and looking backward at another gal.)

So, long as he rides it from the front position I don't have an issue with this.

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yup.

Btw, I think there's a not totally insignificant chance that worst case scenario comes to pass. Say, like a 10-15% chance that Eichel's just a fundamentally flawed leader and this team won't be able to do sh1t as long as he's the man.

That means, of course, I think there's a fairly overwhelming probability that this team gets it going with Eichel as the C.

Lord knows, I want it to work, and work soon.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

But what happens to Samson?  Does he ride the tandem bike alone now?

(Please, there is no need for the meme with the guy holding hands with his girlfriend and looking backward at another gal.)

Did they get the bike from the Ryan brothers?  If those two could ride it, I'm pretty sure all three can ride together.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Btw, I think there's a not totally insignificant chance that worst case scenario comes to pass. Say, like a 10-15% chance that Eichel's just a fundamentally flawed leader and this team won't be able to do sh1t as long as he's the man.

That means, of course, I think there's a fairly overwhelming probability that this team gets it going with Eichel as the C.

Lord knows, I want it to work, and work soon.  

Sometimes I wonder if Eichel is the kind of guy you just throw into things headfirst and let him try to figure it out. The whole "mentor" thing really doesn't seem to have been a good idea, nor was the attitude of the squad in general. 

Although I think part of the failure of the mentor model was the players that were brought in to fill those roles. Not exactly Sabres/NHL legends/role models. Especially when the coach is a joke and the players all know it. 

I think the last half of last season really showed him (and Reinhart) maturing and taking responsibility for the team. The old guys weren't there to take the flak. 

It's possible Eichel was just acting how he thought he was supposed to.  He was paraded around town as the savior of a franchise.  It could be that a 19-20-21 year old was trying desperately to play the part of losing is unacceptable now that I'm here.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sometimes I wonder if Eichel is the kind of guy you just throw into things headfirst and let him try to figure it out. The whole "mentor" thing really doesn't seem to have been a good idea, nor was the attitude of the squad in general. 

Although I think part of the failure of the mentor model was the players that were brought in to fill those roles. Not exactly Sabres/NHL legends/role models. Especially when the coach is a joke and the players all know it. 

I think the last half of last season really showed him (and Reinhart) maturing and taking responsibility for the team. The old guys weren't there to take the flak. 

I always find it interesting when you subtract things and then other players step up. Eichel is there now. There isn't anyone else to defer too and I think that it is a good thing because he can lead. 

• Like (+1) 2

Eichel on having his own house, living on his own...

"No one else is there to stray you in a certain direction. The only direction you’re going is the one you want to go in. And I think that’s really good for me right now.

...hasn't he been living with Reinhart that last 2 years?   Hmmm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.